The Puppy Who Loves To Chew On Toes And Fingers.

Oscar123

Oscar my 8 week old spanielXpoodle is starting to bite a lot. I have chew toys and try to take his focus off chewing on me but its gone from him chewing on my toes to now my fingers and even trying to bite my face when I pick him up when he gets excited. I am not sure what sort of action I can take and if he is just teething and it will go away on its own. I am concerned if I dont do something now he might hurt a child who goes to pat him.

Search for "mouthing" in this forum and read the information on puppy biting and teaching bite inhibition here

He needs to be taught by you that its not acceptable to put his mouth or teeth on people. It will not go away on its own.

Is he going to puppy pre-school?

Edited by poodlefan

Are you attending a puppy pre school with a qualified and experienced trainer? The mouthing at this stage is a developmental phase, not due to teething. Its not a phase they will grow out of unless we teach them!

There are many different ways to deal with mouthing but not every method works for every puppy and owner and some methods will make things worse if not done correctly. A good puppy pre school trainer can show you the best way to deal with the mouthing after seeing you and your pup.

At 8 weeks he's not teething so don't allow that as an excuse. It's perfectly normal for puppies to bite (politely called mouthing :flame:) but their littermates and mother teach them that biting hurts so they tend to not bite them so much and instead most try out biting people instead. I am a bit concerned when you say your 8 week old puppy is starting to bite - how long have you had him? Bite inhibition is an essential lesson - what advice did the breeder's puppy pack include on this?

I would be enrolling yourself in a puppy preschool class as others have suggested so you can get first hand advice.

The first few days I had Oscar there was no biting just licking but he is now more comfortable. I live in Fitzroy in Melbourne. Does anyone know of any puppy training schools in the area. I am going to call the local vet to find a puppy school.

I had the same problem with my puppy when I first got her, I used to say "ouch" in a really high pitched voice, replicating a dog yelping, that is telling her she is hurting me, in no time at all she had given up on chewing me and focuses on the toys