Car Anxiety And Car Sick!

JaxD

Hi guys

Hope you can give me some advice... My 12 week old Jack Russell puppy poos and vomits in the car EVERY time he gets in.. Initially, I thought the pooing was just bad timing and he just needed to go.. but he still poos even if he's just gone before we get in the car. He doesn't whine or whimper or anything to suggest that he's anxious except maybe slight stiffness but it happens within 3 mins of the drive starting... EVERY TIME! I've tried having him in his crate, in a harness and loose on a person's lap so he could look out the window (not the safest, I know, but was trying everything..) and it makes no difference. (Pooed all over my son!) He also vomits.. usually after he's pooed.. so am assuming this is car sickness.. I'm hoping to avoid having to give him medication everytime I want to take him anywhere but now I'm too 'scared' to take him even to fetch the kids from school (and its only 950m away! :hug: ) cos when I took him yesterday (was feeling too lazy to walk) he still pooed and vomited. Needless to say the kids were charmed to get into that stinky car! :hug:

Anyone have any suggestions, advice, secret remedies, magic wands that might help? :rainbowbridge: How would I go about reducing his anxiety if this is the cause of the pooing? Do dogs ever grow out of car sickness?

Hope you can help me before next Wednesday cos have a 10 minute drive to our puppy class!

Edited by JaxD

Sorry i am not much of a help as ive never had this happen to me. But the last 2 vets ive been to ive noticed in the waiting room area they had advertisements telling customers to ask them about pet travel sickness and how it can be managed, i am assuming through medication. I dont know anything about it, so cant say. Maybe you wont need to medicate him each and every time you go out, might just be until he settles and gets used to going in the car, could be wrong though and some other members who have had experience with this might be more help to you than i am but i would say its worth giving the vets a call just to see what they can offer.

If you want to go the holistic way flower essences can be great and have a calming effect on pets and this might just do the trick!

Good luck!

It just sounds like stress/anxiety.

In a nutshell- DON'T take him driving.

YET.

You could Start feeding him playing with him around teh car.. with the doors open. gradually throw his treats/toys into the car (put up some steps or ramp for him....) and let him go in one door/out the other, etc . Do this until he will beg to jump around in the car.

Then have him in teh car, and close teh doors(leaving windows a bit down , so there is no air pressure shock!! That worries ME- let alone a dog. :laugh:

If that goes well.. and he is totally relaxed..then start the car- but don't move. treat/play, whatever... but ONLY when he's relaxed and looking at you :) Do NOT cuddle talk to/play with him if he's panting, ears back, shaking....

Gradually do this until he is quite comfortable- Do NOT hurry the process ...

then move to driving up & down teh driveway..and then a bit further....

Not sure if it will work- perhaps someone has better suggestions :mad

I cant offer any suggestions sorry...but good luck!

I have a similar problem with my JRT, no messing thank god, but she is a major stressor as soon as the car starts moving. Mine is 8yo, she is happy to jump in the car, but as soon as we start moving...OMG she thinks she is going to die

Persephone I am also getting one of my foster carers to do the same thing you have suggested with one of our girls. I do find with dogs that don't travel well it pays to have one window slightly open. Whilst we like aircon, some dogs need fresh air. If you've ever been slightly travel sick yourself you will know that fresh air fixes most things.

JaxD good luck, what Pers has suggested is the same as we are working on. I would be interested to hear how you go. I am not expecting my dog to improve quickly.

Just a note that she does seem to prefer in the backseat rather than the front and doesn't like looking out the front windscreen :o

Just a note that she does seem to prefer in the backseat rather than the front and doesn't like looking out the front windscreen :rofl:

Merlin was the same, didnt like driving if he could see out the window, settled down straight away when he was put on the backseat. Unfortunately there was a few times early on that we were rushed or I was on my own and couldnt settle him so I am doing the same as Persephone has suggested, taking Merlin out to get used to the car and to enjoy being in it slowly

:o it works for all of us