Calendula Tea Thankyou Erny

morning all

this post is to thank ERNY and her calendula tea recipe ,

Miss Jilly had the worst grass allergy and the calendula tea helped it so much... .. it aided to ease the skin, as the rash was so bad, it was even into her ears, As well as her tummy , and even luckier that it didnt spread into a secondary infection

AMAZING !!!

many thanks Erny :confused:

DD

Edited by daccydog

Hey Daccydog ..... I've been away and didn't catch this thread until now. I'm so pleased to hear the Calendula Tea helped with your girl's symptoms. Of course we always need to address the cause (even if that can only mean avoiding the things we know our dogs are allergic to) but easing the symptoms can avert worse conditions. I need to give the credit for the Calendula Tea wash knowledge back to Dr. Bruce Syme though - he was the one who suggested it to me when my boy was covered with itchy hives and I felt I needed to give my boy some respite from them whilst we were endeavouring to work through the issues that were causing them. It worked so well for my boy that I couldn't believe it wasn't something already well and commonly known of. I'm glad that passing this information on has helped so many others, without needing to resort to anti-biotics/cortisone etc.

I hope that Miss Jilly doesn't have another allergy attack, but a stock of the Calendula in your pantry/medicine cabinet is something very worthwhile having.

Edited by Erny

morning all

this post is to thank ERNY and her calendula tea recipe ,

Miss Jilly had the worst grass allergy and the calendula tea helped it so much... .. it aided to ease the skin, as the rash was so bad, it was even into her ears, As well as her tummy , and even luckier that it didnt spread into a secondary infection

AMAZING !!!

many thanks Erny :laugh:

DD

can youpost the recipe, and I will add it to the Health sticky post ;)

Take a tablespoon or two of Calendula Tea and put it in the toe part of a cut-off stocking.

Dangle it in a bowl (or cup, depending on how much of it you need) and pour over boiling water.

Allow it to steep (I usually leave it steep until the water has cooled to tepid/room temp.).

Remove the stocking and squeeze the excess water/tea from it. Discard the used Calendula.

Use the Calendula tea you've just made by putting it in a spray bottle and spray into your dog's coat. (I usually use a flannel saturated to sopping with the tea and rub that in - it depends on how much area you need to cover and whether your dog has a long/short/dense/fine coat as to what you find easier.) Use your hands to rub it right down onto the skin if necessary.

Leave on to dry.

You should notice an improvement within 24 hours, although you'll most likely need to repeat if the skin is really bad. When I first began with this my boy's skin had already begun to show signs of secondary infection. I treated him a couple of times a day with the Calendula tea wash, for the first couple of days and then backed it off to once a day for the next couple (all the while recognising the improvement in the skin) and then once every second day until the skin lesions appeared as healthy scabs. I then only spot-treat as necessary. This is just "what I did" - not anything that was prescribed. I used my own judgement.

Hope this helps :rainbowbridge:

You're welcome YellowGirl - I hope your customer has the same good results as I and a good number of others have.

A couple of suggestions :

Remind your customer that the Calendula Tea is NOT a cure for whatever might be the cause of the allergy symptoms in the first place and that the symptoms will reoccur if that isn't addressed. The Calendula Tea simply helps with the symptoms (and discomfort the symptoms bring) and helps to stem secondary skin infection caused by the bacteria the symptoms produce (and also from scratching).

Perhaps recommend to your customer that she try a small area first to ensure her dog has no adverse reaction to the tea. I have not heard anyone who has come back to tell me of any bad reaction - it has all been good. But you never know.

Hey Oonga :whiteflag: .

Would be interesting to know how effective it was.

I'm lucky - mozzies aren't that attracted to me, but if/when they do bite I generally don't have a reaction to them. Used to as a kid, but now it seems I don't even show a mozzie bite mark *touch wood*. So I can't try it out on myself for that.

You're welcome YellowGirl - I hope your customer has the same good results as I and a good number of others have.

A couple of suggestions :

Remind your customer that the Calendula Tea is NOT a cure for whatever might be the cause of the allergy symptoms in the first place and that the symptoms will reoccur if that isn't addressed. The Calendula Tea simply helps with the symptoms (and discomfort the symptoms bring) and helps to stem secondary skin infection caused by the bacteria the symptoms produce (and also from scratching).

Perhaps recommend to your customer that she try a small area first to ensure her dog has no adverse reaction to the tea. I have not heard anyone who has come back to tell me of any bad reaction - it has all been good. But you never know.

Absolutely! ;) . It's a gorgeous little Australian Terrier and her vet thinks it's probably a grass allergy. She has improved a lot since changing to preservative-free food but still has some of the itchies. If we can't help the itching, next step will be food elimination. I'll pass on your advice to the customer next week ;) .

Health Food Stores

I purchase mine from Berwick Healthy Life 03 9707 1148 if you want to call them (if you're localish and/or can't obtain at your own Health Food Store).

I use the "Health Reflections" brand. About $8.00 for 50g bag.

"Health Reflections" can be contacted on 03 9720 3503 if you need, although I don't know if they deal direct.

:) ..... Not sure if I have broken any forum rules by putting those names and numbers up. If I have, please point that out and I will delete reference to those details.

Edited by Erny

Oh..so glad I came across this! My boy had a flare up a couple of days ago and has been itching to the point of bleeding again :laugh:. I've been at my wits end wondering what's causing these itches, he'd improved so much the past six weeks! I'm strongly suspecting it's grass, thankfully we don't have a great deal of grass on our property. I was thinking it may have been food related, but his diet hasn't changed in the past six weeks. I worked from home today so I could weed out (what I think is) the offending grass. I read this thread and picked up some Calendula (sp?) tea from the health food shop this morning.

I gave him a good soak in it this afternoon. Thanks Erny :)

It seems to be better tonight, so either the Calendula is helping, or I've gotten rid of the problem (grass).

I gave him a good soak in it this afternoon. Thanks Erny :)

It seems to be better tonight, so either the Calendula is helping, or I've gotten rid of the problem (grass).

If the skin reaction doesn't return, then chances are you got rid of the cause. Glad your dog has found some relief though, whether that be from the Calendula or not.

I've blitzed the whole yard of grass so my fingers are crossed that we have found the culprit :). This morning his skin is a much healthier looking pink. He also hasn't itched once all morning, I'm very happy :cheer: It's very distressing when he's itching and biting at himself so ferociously!

I'm so pleased to have found something to ease his symptoms while we work on finding the cause. Thanks again Erny :cheer: