Brumby To Release New 'dangerous Dog Laws'

persephone

LINK

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 » 02:20pm

Premier John Brumby has assured Victorians tough new laws to crack down on dangerous dogs will be introduced shortly, following a savage dog attack.

A 67-year-old woman nearly had her arm torn off by a Staffordshire pitbull-cross she was looking after in Portland on Tuesday.

Mr Brumby said the government had already announced new laws to tackle dangerous dogs and they would be introduced soon.

'We've committed to tougher penalties, there's legislation that will be introduced into the parliament in the very near future which gives effect to that,' he told reporters on Wednesday.

'This will involve tougher penalties, some curtailment of people's rights and for dangerous dogs that aren't identifiable and that are roaming the streets, council officers will be able to apprehend them and put them down within 24 hours.'....MORE...

Only the Victorian government could be so nonsensical as to drive a new law to curtail roaming dogs, by using a dog attack that took place in the home.

Edited by shel

"for dangerous dogs that aren't identifiable and that are roaming the streets, council officers will be able to apprehend them and put them down within 24 hours."

That's ridiculous! How the hell are council officers going to be able to tell if the dog is a 'dangerous dog' if it is "unidentifiable"? As I understand it, a dog is only declared dangerous if it attacks a person/animal. The dangerous dog label has nothing to do with breed. If the dog isn't wearing a collar with identification, the officers won't know who the dog is, who it belongs to, or whether it is in fact a dog which has been declared dangerous.

Stupid councils . I remember completing the survey that someone had posted on here not that long ago re this . I love the way that they just automatically assume it was staffy x pit bull from the attack early this week , I would love to know what reasons they had for stating it was a staffy x pit bull ! Could it be that they were just making it up , No ........surely not :( I'm sure they had some type of evidence to back their claim after all they are the government and they know oh so much about dogs and their welfare !

Only the Victorian government could be so nonsensical as to drive a new law to curtail roaming dogs, by using a dog attack that took place in the home.

No, I think they could have dreamt up that one in Macquarie Street too, and KK could deliver it very convincingly in her usual puppet style.

They already have laws about roaming dogs but hey, dont spoil their fun. They want to look like they are doing something.

Souff