Weight Loss

I too would be looking for a medical cause. If no cause is found you could try her on Divetelact made up thick like cream. I once kept a 7 month old puppy going on this for a couple of months when he went from fussy to not wanting to eat at all. He would drink the Divetelact and it kept his weight up until his appetite finally improved. If she doesn't like Divetelact you could also try Biolac or even straight goats milk.

I too would be looking for a medical cause. If no cause is found you could try her on Divetelact made up thick like cream. I once kept a 7 month old puppy going on this for a couple of months when he went from fussy to not wanting to eat at all. He would drink the Divetelact and it kept his weight up until his appetite finally improved. If she doesn't like Divetelact you could also try Biolac or even straight goats milk.

Thanks dancinbcs, I will pick some up tommorrow and see how she goes. She has a vet visit tommorow so she will be weighed and a full check by my vet done, depending on what my vet has to say tommorow I will give the suggestions a go. Im very anxious about her weigh in tommorrow as I know she has lost more weight just by looking and holding her :laugh: :D . She is getting plenty of fluids and I have been squirting the nutra gel into her mouth so at least I know she will be getting some vitamins and minerals, she hates me for it, but .........

Will post what my vet finds/says tommorrow.

I have not heard of this recipe, would you be able to let me know it please,

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=185629 This thread has a discussion of satin balls. One poster I agreed with recommended feeding lamb and sardines instead of satin balls. Lamb seems to be quite fattening for some dogs, so that would be worth a try! I hope your vet has some insight

My little girl has loss 1.5kg, which is almost half her body weight, in 3 weeks. She is a very picky eater and will flat out refuse to eat anything I give her. She weighed in at 3.5kg 3 weeks ago and today she weighed in at 1.9kg.

Is there something I could give her to put her lost weight back on, I have tried nutrigel but she doesnt like it. I have cooked chicken, mince, given her devon, rew chicken, raw mince, eggs, bought chicken (KFC) BUT NOTHING, JUST A NIBBLE AND THATS IT.

Any suggestions before I go crazy!!!!

Have you tried the fat/satin ball recipe that you make up yourself. I have been feeding it to my girl to put weight on her, shes a finicky eater but she loves them and it does work wonders.

I have not heard of this recipe, would you be able to let me know it please, she is having a bandage change/check up on Monday so I am going to get my vet to do the full works on her. She is still just nibbling her food and I am quite frantic now as she looks horrible, I have not weighed her as I dont want to know, but she looks like she has lost more weight, I just dont want to loose her.

The recipe is one I adapted and works for us, 1kg + human grade cheapest mince beef, pkt cream cheese, 6 egg yolks, cup of oatmeal soaked in milk, cup of wheatgerm, container of home brand peanut butter. Mix up with hands and make into medium size balls and freeze. Sophie eats them half frozen or the last lot I cooked slightly in the microwave. I works for her and I am making more today. She has 3 or 4 with her meal at night. For a dog who is very fussy I was surprised when she ate them.

Her stomach may inflammed after all the meds etc.

Have you tried her on a bland diet of steamed/boiled chicken (fat removed) & rice, warmed, instead of everything else you may be feeding her just to get the stomach settled again???

You can also add a probiotic to put back the flora into the gut.

Even Hills I/D diet can be a bit much initially for some gut problems plus it does bloat them.

I have found that some dogs just prefer a bland home cooked diet.

Edited by STITCH

First I would like to say thankyou to all the DOLERS who have gave me suggestions and advise, THANKYOU all.

We had the vet appointment and her leg, the initial problem, is healing quite well. Cast is comming off next week, bone has healed great she may even get into the ring it healed that good!!

In regards to her weight loss, she was weighed and to my surprise she has actually gained 300g, my vet has taken bloods, thyroid will also be checked, she had a full physical as well. Although quite thin my vet seems to think she is still ok in regards to getting enough fluids and vitamins/minerals as she has been given nutragel, approx eaten 3 tubes in 2 weeks, she hates it but its keeping her vitamins/minerals there. My vet also thinks it may be due to the arm break and she is just feeling not her self. She has given me the biolac formula and suggested I mix it to a thick consistency, a suggestion I was given from a doler as well, she will be going back next week for a weigh in and to get the cast off.

Thanks again to everyone who replied with suggestions/thoughts, much appriciated. :(:cheer:

Edited by pure_breed