What Should You Do If Your Dog Is Choking

Not sure if this has been posted already but what's the best thing to do if your dog has something caught in his throat ? We supervise any bones or chewsbut you just never know. Never had a problem but he sometimes gags.

Ironically my OH had to "heimlich" me this morning when I got a big dissolvable panadol caught. Idiot me didn't dissolve it and thought I could swallow the horse tablet whole.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Heimlich manoevre has no scientific evidence and is not a recommended technique for choking in Australia. It can cause vomiting and internal damage. The recommended technique for choking is back slaps and abdominal thrusts. Even Dr Heimlich's own son states that there is no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of the Heimlich manoevre. There is an interesting story about this on the ABC's Health Report: www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2009/2634253.htm

I've never had a dog choke, so can't speak from experience. The only reference I could find on the Merck Vet Manual to choking refers to horses and cattle: www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/21502.htm

It appears to be related to bloat in cattle, so may be related to bloat in susceptible dog breeds. Or perhaps it is very rare in dogs and not of concern?

Sorry, maybe someone with more knowledge of choking problems in dogs will post.

From my Pets First Aid book:

1. Open the mouth and carefully sweep from side to side with your finger to see if you can feel and dislodge the object. Be careful not to push the object further into the throat or to get bitten. Check for a bone lodged on or between the teeth or jammed over the hard palate.
  2. Pull the tongue forward, removing any object, vomit or foreign material present. To avoid getting bitten, only do this if the animal is unconscious.
  3. If this is not successful in dislodging the object, administer a "sharp blow" with the flat side of your hand between the shoulder blades, or use both hands on either side of the chest.

Carefully sweep the mouth with your finger again to see if you can dislodge the object, if it has not come out on its own.

Once the object is dislodged, check for the ABCs:

Airway - does the animal have an open airway?

Breathing - is the animal breathing?

Circulation - Is there a heartbeat or pulse?

initiate CPR if needed and get the animal to a veterinary hospital at once.

From my Pets First Aid book:

1. Open the mouth and carefully sweep from side to side with your finger to see if you can feel and dislodge the object. Be careful not to push the object further into the throat or to get bitten. Check for a bone lodged on or between the teeth or jammed over the hard palate.
  2. Pull the tongue forward, removing any object, vomit or foreign material present. To avoid getting bitten, only do this if the animal is unconscious.
  3. If this is not successful in dislodging the object, administer a "sharp blow" with the flat side of your hand between the shoulder blades, or use both hands on either side of the chest.

Carefully sweep the mouth with your finger again to see if you can dislodge the object, if it has not come out on its own.

Once the object is dislodged, check for the ABCs:

Airway - does the animal have an open airway?

Breathing - is the animal breathing?

Circulation - Is there a heartbeat or pulse?

initiate CPR if needed and get the animal to a veterinary hospital at once.

The first two steps are all good in theory but when your dog is choking you have to act fast. When Sam was a pup he started to choke on a bit of something he was chewing on (I forget what it was). I gave him a couple of pumps around his middle (just below his ribs) with my hands and out popped the offending bit of stuff. Crisis over!

Heimlich manoevre has no scientific evidence and is not a recommended technique for choking in Australia. It can cause vomiting and internal damage. The recommended technique for choking is back slaps and abdominal thrusts. Even Dr Heimlich's own son states that there is no scientific evidence for the effectiveness of the Heimlich manoevre. There is an interesting story about this on the ABC's Health Report: www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2009/2634253.htm

OT sorry Mrs Tornsocks.

I heard that and was absolutely gobsmacked.

I have choking sessions from time to time and one of the worst was in a restaurant. I just could not get my breath. Nothing is stuck, but my windpipe has contracted. A woman with her arm in a cast tried the Heimlich manoevre, but she couldn't get enough force. No one else tried, so I imagine the weren't familiar with it.

I had a really bad choking episode at work once and that was the first time I experienced the HM - I was choking and a young colleague performed it and honestly, I think he saved my life. It is very scary.

And I have often wondered about the dogs myself, because a couple of them seem to choke from time to time and it is not food related. I haven't had to perform mouth to mouth yet, but I am always on alert when one of them starts choking.

Edited by Mother Moocher