Dog Training

I have a new puppy/dog. She is a 5month old great dane. I have three other dogs at home (2Labs 1Dane)

My new girl has had absouletly no training at all. Any tips on how to teach her with the other dogs around.

Lots of people say separate her at feeding time. I feed the at 6:30 in the morning as I start work at 7 so don't have time to separately feed them. The other dogs have learn't their bowls and only eat theirs.

Any advice is a help.

Thanks

What is the Triangle of Temptation?

No she isn't for Albury. She is a blue Merle.

She eats well with the other dogs but she hasn't learnt to sit or wait or anything for that matter.

She is now walking well on the lead. But we still have our moments.

We have a 5yo and a 4 month old puppy so it can be a bit of a juggling act to give them separate time! Do you have a partner or housemate that could help? I often get my OH to take the older dog for a walk if I want to do some training with the puppy.

Feed them in different areas. Our dogs get fed at the same time, but the older boy gets fed outside and the puppy inside in her crate.

I would love to. I work 7days a week from 7am to 7-8pm most nights.

So yes it would be nice to get up earlier but I work long hours. Sleep is precious to me as I am up 4-5times a night.

Wow ! working such long hours - how do you find time to look after four dogs - let alone find time to spend on working with a 5 month old dane.

What is the Triangle of Temptation?

No she isn't for Albury. She is a blue Merle.

She eats well with the other dogs but she hasn't learnt to sit or wait or anything for that matter.

She is now walking well on the lead. But we still have our moments.

She is only a baby but she needs your guidence, she won't learn these things on her own. You'll need to make time to train her, she probably won't pick things up as quickly as the Labs and she'll probably be more stubborn about it as well.

I suggest you find yourself a good obedience club to attend :laugh:

Do you think you're going to be able to give a puppy what it needs when you're working 13 hour days?

Edited by sas

We are getting there.

She is picking them up fairly quick.

Its funny her idea of sitting is putting her ass in the air. She has now learn't that this is not sitting and won't get a treat for it. Thank god she now eats treats. She didn't know what to do with them when I first got her. But how can you say no to liver and beef...

Need to get her walking into a room with people she doesn't know and not drop to the ground first. Then we are going straight to school.

I own the two danes and my mum owns the labs. I did it with my first girl and she turned out well.

My animals come first and my boss knows that which is good.

Will post some pics when she has put on some more weight.

Also what is the ideal weight for a non-desexed 5month old female pure breed dane?