People Asking For Help

Shakti

As a newbie, I also am a bit hesitant to ask some types of questions/address some topics due to the intolerance, rudeness and negativity some posters display. Thanks Brooke for trying to lessen the pressure for us newbies and for trying to encourage us to stick around and learn. At the risk of being flamed myself, I'll just mention how one old saying goes 'birds of a feather........'

Guest acb123
do a search, there have been plenty of these threads in the past.

yes but do you think anything has changed regardless of how many times this topic has been raised?

I don't see universal respect on here yet do you?

do a search, there have been plenty of these threads in the past.

yes but do you think anything has changed regardless of how many times this topic has been raised?

I don't see universal respect on here yet do you?

no and there never will be cause people don't automatically respect each other, that's life.

Guest acb123
no and there never will be cause people don't automatically respect each other, that's life.

and that is why Brooke is raising this issue. I think we might be getting somewhere....

Perhaps now might be a good time to link to this thread

I agree about playing the ball, not the person. But hand in hand with that goes the idea that criticism doesn't necessarily imply you are stupid and that sometimes the advice you don't want to hear is far more helpful than any number of expressions of support.

There's a lot to learn here. It troubles me that people fear asking for advice in case they get flamed. In my experience those who genuinely need help get it.

Guest acb123

here is a dog example...

if your dog had a bad behaviour you wanted to change, & it displayed this bad behaviour week after week after week would you give up & ignore it? Or would you keep trying.

I see this thread as an example of people who wish to keep trying to raise the standard of respect on DOL

And by heavens it could do with it!

Guest acb123
Didn't we have one of these threads just last week?

and the week before and the week before that

we don't give up on dogs & we shouldn't give up on people :thumbsup:

and that is why Brooke is raising this issue. I think we might be getting somewhere....

Brooke identified another Doler, before the edit, who did not go about things in the right way, but has anyone actually showed that person any respect by actually thinking for one minute, hmm they don't normally post like that, has something happened in RL, etc? It was just assumed they were being nasty for no reason. And maybe they were but we don't know that. RL does impact sometimes on how we post, not everyone recognises that maybe they should not be on a forum right then, reading upsetting posts about a breed they love and care for.

Guest acb123
Brooke identified another Doler, before the edit, who did not go about things in the right way, but has anyone actually showed that person any respect by actually thinking for one minute, hmm they don't normally post like that, has something happened in RL, etc? It was just assumed they were being nasty for no reason. And maybe they were but we don't know that. RL does impact sometimes on how we post, not everyone recognises that maybe they should not be on a forum right then, reading upsetting posts about a breed they love and care for.

I agree with what you are saying in that when people are emotional they might say things they regret & I agree with you also that we shouldn't rehash a thread if that has occurred.

I also agree with the other point that we should at least *try* to be respectful of one another on here. I understand things can get heated about topics/breeds close to the heart, but I think we should at least *try* to get our points across with respect.

I get your point Rebanne. I do. I think there are 2 different issues going on in this thread.

Perhaps now might be a good time to link to this thread

I agree about playing the ball, not the person. But hand in hand with that goes the idea that criticism doesn't necessarily imply you are stupid and that sometimes the advice you don't want to hear is far more helpful than any number of expressions of support.

There's a lot to learn here. It troubles me that people fear asking for advice in case they get flamed. In my experience those who genuinely need help get it.

Love this thread poodlefan. Perhaps it this thread should be bumped

If i'm over it I think everyone else should be.

Things were said - I know what I believe and what happened and I know I have a massive support team of lovely people behind me - I know I did my best in my situation, and someones posting on an online forum doesn't change that.

I'm now sorry i replied and perpetuated the drama - call it emotions. Let's move on - I respect the person that clearly hates my guts as they're clearly passionate about their breed - i'm sorry they haven't taken the time to contact me personally and fully understand the situation, and that they have jumped to some conclusions - read my past posts and i'm sure i've done the same thing at some stage, even if i haven't been quite so colourful with my posts - they can perceive me and my actions however they want - think what you want people - me and the people actually involved know the whole story, and it's unfortunate that the other person didn't, and for one i'm truly sorry if my lack of depth of detail has given this person some really wrong impressions - but i think we all have a right to decide what we will and wont share on a public forum and i stand by everything i've said.

Let's all just toughen up - this is a public forum - everyone just play nice and love your dogs, and stand by your own convictions, and we'll all be just fine.