Elizabethan Collar Is Destroyed

MsKatie

The hound has just - after twice having to have it taped up - put a huge crack in his Elizabethan collar so I have taken it off him. He was desexed on Wednesday so we will watch him carefully and if he goes to lick the stitches we have a smaller one that we can put on him for now.

I swear he has been trying to destroy it since he had it on!!!

We've just put the other one on him - he couldn't resist licking the stitiches - 6 days to go :thumbsup:

our fella is going to be desexed tuesday.

how long does the collar usually need to be on ?

As far as I knew it needs to be on till the stitches come out - but only if they are going after the stitches - hopefully your boy will be better behaved than either of my doggies were *L*

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

Bella just had a lump removed on Thursday and was given a collar to wear. I don't know how many bruises I have on my legs from her slamming into them! She got it undone once (running around with it still attached to her collar, so she looked like a flying nun! She was so miserable we ended up taking it off of her on Saturday, and she doesn't seem to be licking at her wound so far...

Earl seems a lot happier with the slightly smaller collar on - it is now attached to his regular flat collar rather than the bandage the vets had used to tie it on - BUT - we have 5 days left till he can have it off so we shall see what he does to it in those 5 days *L*

is there something you can spray on there to stop him licking it.I think its just a bloke thing-they are licking them in the vain hope if they do it enough,they will magically come back!

None of the girls ever had a problem,only the bloody boys :laugh:

I don't use Elizabethan collars especially for smaller dogs as I think it stresses them out too much. Have tried them on a few but usually end up taking them off. Some of the boys we have had desexed have been allergic to the iodine solution they swab over the area before they operate and it makes them lick and itch and drives them nuts, and can you imagine not being able to get to an itch because of the collar.

Marion01

Please look into the ProCollar. Yes, they're pricey but it has been a god send for my boy who has a problem at the moment.

He loves this collar. It gives him some sort of comfort, it's weird but true. He comes over and sticks his neck out for me to pop it on. At bed time I let it down a little and he uses it like a pillow.

The puppy has punctured holes in it but a bit of tape has worked.

Poor Earl, he is adorable!! I'm sure it couldn't have been him who wrecked his collar xxxxx

Don't let the sad face and soulful look fool you Monah - he has already tried to blame the kelpie :(:(

I thought about putting something on it but wasn't sure about what I could put near or on the stitches - any ideas?

is there something you can spray on there to stop him licking it.I think its just a bloke thing-they are licking them in the vain hope if they do it enough,they will magically come back!

None of the girls ever had a problem,only the bloody boys

:o