Ttouch

Have you heard about or used TTouch?

It's an amazing system of touches (bodywork) and groundwork (moving on a dog's balance while moving) that has substantial impact on the handler/s, the dog's health, movement and behaviour.

If you're interested in more then there is stuff available (although a bit light on about the techniques themselves) on a number of websites including www.ttouch.com, http://www.tilleyfarm.co.uk/ttoucharticles.html and http://www.ttouch.co.za/.

There are books and DVDs and now available a magazine version of one of them available for about $15.00 through many newsagents. But I've read them all and then went to a training course. They come over from Canada about twice a year to hold training sessions that last for 5 days - but you can also do just the first 2 over a weekend. You can take your dog or experience applying the methods on the dogs (and sometimes other animals) that others bring. It is the most awesome experience ever. I've seen fearful, reactive, ill and aggressive dogs change in just hours never mind days - I've seem handlers change too.

If you are interested in more info I've attached a copy of an article that I wrote about just one of their methods - the Ear Slide and how it can benefit health.

Ear_Work.doc

There are training events planned for Sydney and Melbourne this May and again in November. Check out the details at http://www.ttouch.com/eventsLocation.shtml and note that dates are backwards (it's an American site). I'd really recommend attending one if you are desperate for a solution to a problem, looking for alternatives or to add tools for working with dogs to your toolkit or if you deal with dogs that are in rescue situations or ill health. Note though that you need to be open minded and just willing to go with the flow and observe what happens. Thinking it through won't help you.

If you're interested in the research behind the technique check out http://www.ttouch.com/researchStudies.shtml. If you want to find a practitioner in Australia check out http://www.ttouch.com/pracDirectory.shtml#AUSTRALIA. Unfortunately there aren't yet many of them.

Anyone had any experience with the techniques?

Andy Robertson, who is a TTouch practitioner, runs NSW Dalmatian Welfare. Andy has often told and demonstrated TTouch techniques to me but I must admit that I have never followed through with any of it :thumbsup:

I have one of the dvds, and it's really good. Made all the difference to see how Linda did it. I use it on my dogs, particularly Erik who sometimes needs help lowering his arousal. Just yesterday we finished up a wild game of tug with some TTouch and he went from very high arousal to collapsed on his side in under a minute.

We also had success with it helping to relax my other dog before car rides when he used to get car sick. Helped a lot.

I'm organising the Melbourne workshop. I use a lot of TTouch, more and more as I understand and build my skills with it. Its such a different mindset to "typical training".

It is mind boggling to see the speed and extent of some results - I really need to start video recording sessions. The other great thing is that it blends so well with any of the body therapies or "training" I do.

There are places still available for either the 2 or 5 days but the 5 days is filling up. See you at the training Mr R & NR.

For those intersted in attending details for registration can be found here http://naturallywild.net.au/News%20Events.html

Tim

ps. SBT123 - nothing to stop you doing TTouch on yourself or having a significant other do it. They have actually created a human therapy from it, and there is a great book with a dvd (almost better than all the animal ones)

Edited by NaturallyWild

From the very little that I know of it, Staranais, I think it is based more on relaxation (and hence certain nerve rich areas to promote/achieve this) than muscle massage. Could be wrong though - others here who are more familiar with it will be best to clarify. I use a couple of things that I think are similar to TTouch 'moves' for calming dogs (fear dogs, for example). Ears/forehead and sides of shoulders mainly.

Edited by Erny

Can someone please explain, how is it different to regular old massage?

The technique was developed from Feldenkrais which is similar to Alexander technique (human therapies if you are familiar with either).

There are a lot of reasons it is different to massage.

A big component to it is about helping create self awareness eg if your not aware your are holding your shoulder tight because you are anxious you are unlikely to let them go until the reason for being anxious disappears.

It is about giving the nervous system some gentle information that allows it to know that it has an option to do something different. The results that are seen are longer term because they are self driven/chosen by the animals body.

It is about helping the body become more balanced in regards to gravity (when still) and with movement (improved proprioreception) - when we are balance there are less emtional tensions as well as structurally helping the body not have to compensate and cause physical injuries/diseases.

It is about helping the body become more relaxed and to regulate being in fight/flight/freeze modes (sympatheti/parasympathetic).

There is focus about changes happening at a cellular level (there is lots of research interest in this) and that TTouch can help with cellular communiction.

They have found that TTouch can help activate/balance the 4 brain waves so a greater state of awareness, calmness, and thoughful learning can occur.

TTouch does very little work specifically with the muscles although it does have an impact on them through the nervous system.

The work is primarily through contact to the nervous system through the fascia. There is no specific nerve rich areas that are focused on like bowen therapy or acupuncture, the whole body is given attention.

All of this happens without specifically expecting an outcome because we do not 100% know what the body needs to make a change - we just offer it some possible alternatives and it does the work itself.

Massage is about working with the muscles and trying to create relaxation and lengthening.

Massage may touch on some of these things inadvertantly, but I do not find as dramatic an effect.

There are a lot more complexities to TTouch that I am still learning, yet it is a relatively simple technique that anyone can use.

Tim

Can anyone recommend a good DVD? It's something I've always been interested in, but never learnt.

Might have to convince someone to send me down to the November course for my birthday :cry:

ETA If there is a DVD specific to fear/anxiety that would be really good. Berri's got a whole lotta ear to work with, if only I knew what to do! :confused:

Edited by Jeanne

Can anyone recommend a good DVD? It's something I've always been interested in, but never learnt.

Might have to convince someone to send me down to the November course for my birthday :cry:

ETA If there is a DVD specific to fear/anxiety that would be really good. Berri's got a whole lotta ear to work with, if only I knew what to do! :confused:

Nothing specific to fear/anxiety as all of the work deals with any situation.

The dvd Unlock your dogs potential is a good starter - she does the touches very quick though compared to real life. On of the dog books will give descriptions of the different touches as well.

These would really onlybe a brief intro to TTouch - you learn so much more at the workshops.

Try experimenting with a body wrap - appropriate width bandage and gentle wrap (snug but not tight) it in a figure 8 going in front of chest/legs, cross over back of shoulders, then under belly (you can wrap an extra loop around belly if enough length). Any configuration can be useful.

Thanks Tim, how long would you leave a body wrap on for?

Not sure I'll be able to make it to one of the seminars, the November one is in Melbourne (too far) and May isn't good (going to a Sue Hogbin seminar which will be my "event" for the month". A DVD would be great though.

Thanks Tim, how long would you leave a body wrap on for?

Not sure I'll be able to make it to one of the seminars, the November one is in Melbourne (too far) and May isn't good (going to a Sue Hogbin seminar which will be my "event" for the month". A DVD would be great though.

Depends on the situation, but if there isn't and "episode" happening (assuming you get extreme situations), then 3-5min is more than enough. Lots of little amounts is better so the bodies nervous system isn't overwhealmed and there is a learning experience between sessions.

There are also workshops in Sydney, see the TTouch website for this.