What Is Involved In A Thyroid Test?

What I mean Rappie, is that if a dog has skin problems DUE to a thyroid problem, it is because the level of T4 being produced is too low, hence why you're seeing clinical symptoms. So if a dog comes in with bad skin and you do the standard aussie test and all are normal, it's very unlikely then that the cause of the bad skin could still be the thyroid?

It is very unlikely, yes.

I think hypothyroidism is diagnosed more often than it truly occurs, but low TT4 levels are seen frequently (which is not the same as "hypothyroidism", TT4 is not a stand alone test in dogs).

Edited by Rappie

Ernie can I just correct you, and say that you dont need to get a courier to transport the bloods to Jean any more. If you follow her guidelines on her website, so long as you do everything 'to the t', there is no issue. I have sent 2 lots of bloods to her, over the last 6 months, both without the International courier. I sent the bloods myself at the PO ;) . Much easier and MUCH cheaper !!!

Thank you - I'll check up on her latest info. It would be great if the International Courier isn't necessary. But I presume you would still need to declare to Customs?

ETA: The other thing that I like with Dr Jean Dodds testing is their analysis base. They take into account not only whether the dog is small, medium or large, but also what breed it is and what age the dog is. Out here I believe the analysis is simply based on small, medium or large dog.

Yes, still need to declare to Customs, but you have the paperwork for them on the outside of the package, clearly visible, and they appear to be happy with that. I also found that the PO was knowledgable on the whole process as well...

Yep Dr Dodds, wants to know the breed of the dogs, and as I have sighthounds, she even has slightly different values for them too. She is a very knowledgable lady with huge interest in educating anyone who is interested :D ...

Also she is VERY approachable as well. I have emailed her about 8-10 times, always with a prompt reply :D .

Yes, she is, I've spoken to her before on the subject of allergies and vaccinations. Very helpful and knowledgeable person :laugh:

We didn't go any further with finding out about thyroid testing here, as it wasn't really appropriate in our case in the end, so just got the "yes, you can" but not into how much it might cost etc.

The cost that was quoted to me, was real heart attack stuff... Was thinking I needed to refinance the house/mortgage to get my 3 dogs thyroids tested ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Ernie can I just correct you, and say that you dont need to get a courier to transport the bloods to Jean any more. If you follow her guidelines on her website, so long as you do everything 'to the t', there is no issue. I have sent 2 lots of bloods to her, over the last 6 months, both without the International courier. I sent the bloods myself at the PO :eek: . Much easier and MUCH cheaper !!!

I rang Australia Post today to confirm the above. I am informed that they will NOT agree to transport dog blood serum to the USA. They have a "No Animal Product" policy (I don't know the exact wording - the guy at Aussie Post read it out to me).

i was told that we don't have the proper machine to check it?

Yes - that's right. Our labs don't have the facilities for a FULL thyroid blood panel test and according to Gribbles we aren't likely to, because our dog population doesn't warrant it.

If I had a thyroid test done here in Oz and it proved 'positive', I'd believe it. If it proved 'negative' I'd be left wondering.

Ernie can I just correct you, and say that you dont need to get a courier to transport the bloods to Jean any more. If you follow her guidelines on her website, so long as you do everything 'to the t', there is no issue. I have sent 2 lots of bloods to her, over the last 6 months, both without the International courier. I sent the bloods myself at the PO :rofl: . Much easier and MUCH cheaper !!!

I rang Australia Post today to confirm the above. I am informed that they will NOT agree to transport dog blood serum to the USA. They have a "No Animal Product" policy (I don't know the exact wording - the guy at Aussie Post read it out to me).

Well things must work differently down here, as I WAS able to post it, from the PO. It was documented that it was Canine Blood/Products, and I specifically told them, (this is 2 different PO's in Hobart), and they didnt bat an eye at that :laugh:

Ernie can I just correct you, and say that you dont need to get a courier to transport the bloods to Jean any more. If you follow her guidelines on her website, so long as you do everything 'to the t', there is no issue. I have sent 2 lots of bloods to her, over the last 6 months, both without the International courier. I sent the bloods myself at the PO :rofl: . Much easier and MUCH cheaper !!!

Well things must work differently down here, as I WAS able to post it, from the PO. It was documented that it was Canine Blood/Products, and I specifically told them, (this is 2 different PO's in Hobart), and they didnt bat an eye at that ;)

I don't doubt you, Rajacadoo. But I do doubt the advice that is given by different people within an organisation. (The common response I get from orgs whose people don't know that they don't know and tell you the wrong things is "s/he shouldn't have told you that". My common response is "how do I know that what you're now telling me is something that you should be telling me or not?" :rofl:).

I told the chap I was speaking with that you were able to do it through them (no name, of course, because I don't know it ;)) and that's when he went and retrieved their book of regulations to check. He said the only way to do it was by engaging the services of a private international courier (such as DHL or other).

I wish you had been right, Raj .... it would've been a lot less mucking around and $$$.

Edited by Erny

What I mean Rappie, is that if a dog has skin problems DUE to a thyroid problem, it is because the level of T4 being produced is too low, hence why you're seeing clinical symptoms. So if a dog comes in with bad skin and you do the standard aussie test and all are normal, it's very unlikely then that the cause of the bad skin could still be the thyroid?

It is very unlikely, yes.

I think hypothyroidism is diagnosed more often than it truly occurs, but low TT4 levels are seen frequently (which is not the same as "hypothyroidism", TT4 is not a stand alone test in dogs).

That's what they told us in class... that hypothyroidism is the most common, but also the most overdiagnosed, canine endocrinopathy. Interesting.