Pet Plan Enquiry

Hi i am new to the forum.

I have pomaranian and is currently searching for an insurance company that will cover him.

I have had a look at a few and one that has come up which i'm not 100 percent sure of is called PET PLAN.

i have heard both positive and negative feedback about this company and is the only insurance company that i found online that covers non routine dental care.

Has anyone else been through this company or is there any other companies you would recommend me try?

If so can you please post up the link on the forum

thanks in advance

:)

I have pomaranian and is currently searching for an insurance company that will cover him.

I have had a look at a few and one that has come up which i'm not 100 percent sure of is called PET PLAN.

i have heard both positive and negative feedback about this company and is the only insurance company that i found online that covers non routine dental care.

Has anyone else been through this company or is there any other companies you would recommend me try?

thanks in advance

If you call Murdoch Vet they have a great print out of all the pet insurance companies in a side by side comparison, I got one the other day, maybe they clould email the document to you.

:D

thanks in advance

If you call Murdoch Vet they have a great print out of all the pet insurance companies in a side by side comparison, I got one the other day, maybe they clould email the document to you.

:D

hey there!thanks for your instant reply!!i'll email the murdoch vet and ask them to send me the insurance comparison.i would like to go for pet plan at first but doubt it abit since ive seen there was some forumers that dislikes their service and the bad experiences they had previously which scares and worries me quite abit....lol

I have only good things to say about pet plan.

They have paid out 2 x $500 claims so it paid for itself very quickly. It was a pretty easy process and I found their staff to be really helpful.

One occasion (with vets permission) they were happy to pay the claim straight to the vet so we werent out of pocket.

Im sure like anything if you ask enough people you will eventually find someone not happy with them though.

wow...it sounds to me that pet plan is a good recommendation...lolx...but how long did it takes for you guys to get your claim back?cuz i've heard the biggest problems with petplan is their processing time is really slow...ranging from 7days to 5months!!!i do not know how long a claim should be processed usually though...like the time that is considered as a "normal" duration of claim process..

and what do they mean by "existing problem" in their insurance policy?my pomeranian named Nemo... :D is 2 years old currently but there were tartar build-up around his front teeth which may need to visit the vet soon...but im worried that the price of the vet might be extremely expensive...which lead me to considering insurance...is this condition refered as "existing problem"??? :laugh:

I waited about 2 months for my first claim to be paid out but first claims are always longer and it was over xmaas-new year, my following claim took 3 weeks. My dog had an eye condition before he joined so he has to wait 24 months before I can claim on anything eye related but the other insurers wouldnt EVER cover his eyes so its one of the reasons I went with Petplan.

I used pet plan last year, my pup had a persistent ear infection, ended up costing around $600. I paid the excess to my vet and pet plan paid the rest direct to the vet.

Hi,

Another one with Petplan. I went with them for the wide range of things they covered, reasonable excess and 100% rebate.

I've had claims so far of up to $2000 paid back.

I too did find length of time to process claims a little ridiculous. For one we had to constantly call and follow up.

kate&eddie- When they paid directly to your vet, was this a first time claim or ongoing? I'm just having an issue at the moment...or had. Where I was considering getting a recommended surgery done, yet Petplan refused to give me any indication prior to the procedure if they would cover it. I told them that part of the decision to do it would be if it would be covered. I had to write an email to the Manager in the end because I needed further clarification. They kept repeating the exclusions if it's pre existing and during waiting period but I needed to know for my particular circumstance. Anyway, I guess I just don't understand how they have that option to agree to pay your vet...if they don't pre advise if a claim will be covered? Surely you wouldn't go through with a procedure and then your vet agree to be paid directly unless they are 100% sure it will get paid?

I waited about 2 months for my first claim to be paid out but first claims are always longer and it was over xmaas-new year, my following claim took 3 weeks. My dog had an eye condition before he joined so he has to wait 24 months before I can claim on anything eye related but the other insurers wouldnt EVER cover his eyes so its one of the reasons I went with Petplan.

Really?? I had no idea they would cover pre existing condtions once a waiting period was served? From all their product statements I've read, they excluse pre existing entirely? How long have you been with them?

I have Pet Plan insurance and am very happy with it, I have claimed in excess of $10,000 and have never had any problems.

Masonsmum........that is interesting about pre existing conditions, I thought pre existing condtitions would be exculded forever.

Baker Girl.........I am pretty sure they would not cover the type of hip surgery you are/were considering for your pup.

Edited by KJ

I have Pet Plan insurance and am very happy with it, I have claimed in excess of $10,000 and have never had any problems.

Masonsmum........that is interesting about pre existing conditions, I thought pre existing condtitions would be exculded forever.

Baker Girl.........I am pretty sure they would not cover the type of hip surgery you are/were considering for your pup.

KJ...No I don't think they would have as I believe they would have classed it as a Preventative, Ellective or Routine surgery to prevent illness/injury in future. However they did say to me...that if I was also to go against the recommendations of a vet, this may in future also affect any claims. So you damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. It really comes down to what they define certain procedures as and also in their history checks, how the vets write up your pets history and their recommendations. Well for my case I believe.

so this eye condition is considered as pre-existing problem?and petplan covered it up for you?did u get ur 100%rebate then?

Really?? I had no idea they would cover pre existing condtions once a waiting period was served? From all their product statements I've read, they excluse pre existing entirely? How long have you been with them?

It was a blocked tear duct due to a tear duct infection, i suppose its a rare thing and actually hasnt happened again so maybe thats why? We have been with them just under a year now.

Edited to say, I must check my policy doc again to be 100% sure but I am sure it said they would cover him in 12 months for any eye condition ( except tear ducts) and then after 24 months for any eye conditions including tear duct probs, like I say I must check my doc to be 100% sure but I know none of the other insurers wanted to cover his eyes ever!

Went and had a look at my policy doc and it is exactly as I thought, no eyes for 12 months and after 24 months they will review weather they will cover the tear ducts or not, which will be 2011

Edited by Masons_mom

all of my dogs have pre existing conditions, I was told when I applied for insurance through petplan that these conditions could be reassesed after 12 months (doesn't automatically cover them)

When I made a claim, it took about 5 weeks for them to pay it

It was a blocked tear duct due to a tear duct infection, i suppose its a rare thing and actually hasnt happened again so maybe thats why? We have been with them just under a year now.

Edited to say, I must check my policy doc again to be 100% sure but I am sure it said they would cover him in 12 months for any eye condition ( except tear ducts) and then after 24 months for any eye conditions including tear duct probs, like I say I must check my doc to be 100% sure but I know none of the other insurers wanted to cover his eyes ever!

Went and had a look at my policy doc and it is exactly as I thought, no eyes for 12 months and after 24 months they will review weather they will cover the tear ducts or not, which will be 2011

all of my dogs have pre existing conditions, I was told when I applied for insurance through petplan that these conditions could be reassesed after 12 months (doesn't automatically cover them)

Oh ok. That's really good to know for anyone considering it. It's not written like that in any of their policies so I'm assuming you'd need to ask or tell them when they ask you regarding pre existing conditions.

Edited by baker_girl

I have one westie covered and one I decided not to cover since 2007 with Pet Plan. My girl had a bout of HGE so that was excluded for 12 months (fair enough) - otherwise she has no exclusions and they have been good to deal with and took about 3 weeks to pay a couple of claims.

I decided not to cover my boy who was 7 at the time ( I think). His pre-exisiting conditions (skin ears ACL) meant they were going to permanently exclude everything but his right big toe. So I decided to up the mortgage repayments, save for his needs that way and redraw as required. I'm glad I did this as his surgery since November has been almost 4k and all would have been excluded under Pet Plan. So I just drew it down out of my mortgage.

So the lessons learned for me are:

1. Insure early before puppy/dog develops any pre-existing conditions and potential permanent exclusions.

2. For puppies/dogs with multiple pre-exisitng conditions and permanent exclusions put at least the premium amount (and more if possible) into a mortgage/savings plan and draw down/out as required. (And treat it like paying a premium so you're not tempted to dip into it for other things!)

Hope that helps

Edited by westiemum

Oh ok. That's really good to know for anyone considering it. It's not written like that in any of their policies so I'm assuming you'd need to ask or tell them when they ask you regarding pre existing conditions.

After they had gotten all the histories from Vets my dogs had attended, and got their Vets to go through it, Petplan phoned me with the lists of exclusions (they also posted this too me) so I could have a think about whether I still wanted to cover them

One of my dogs had previously had bilateral luxating patellas (she'd had surgery for) and had been diagnosed with Hip Displasia and also at one stage had suspected irritable bowel syndrome

So basically she has alot of exculsions, but if she was injured in an accident and either her hips or knees required surgery becasue of the accident, she would still be covered. They didn't tell me this until I asked lots of questions

There are also numerous amounts of things that can happen to an animal that would also be covered

So I did still cover her, and will get her exlusions re assessed in another 8 months or so