Teaching An Old Dog New Tricks?

She isnt really old but my 3 yr old has been going to training since she was 3 months old and when she was 10 months old we started doing agility. She is amazing and walks beautifully on my left side with total concerntration on me. What I am having problems with is that she has always been taught 2 sit when I stop walking so she automatically does it. Now I want her to stand and when I have tried to stop walking and hold her up she keeps scooting away and sitting and looking at me like what the hell are you doing :laugh: How do I get her confidence up to first be comfortable with me trying to stand her and then get her to stand on her own when I stop walking? She is very food motivated and I have tried getting her to stand by making her follow the food into a stand but as soon as I give it to her in the stand positon she is already starting to try and sit again and if I keep doing it we go round in circles and that isnt exactly standing, its walking around me. Im stuck.

Teach her the "stand" as a separate exercise to heeling with a clicker, as Tiggy said the kick back stand is a good one, but it doesn't really matter what way she does it as long as she understands the command. Once she is confident doing that move it slowly onto giving the command when she is in the left hand heel position.

I don't do obedience as such and I don't know what a kick back stand is - but my dogs sit automatically as I stop when I bring my left leg up to my stationary right leg.

But when doing a stand I stop on my left leg first. How dogs get the difference? I don't know but I found it helps. Originally I used more hand signal as well but eventually the sit just happens and the stand needs a small hand signal. You said you try and hold him up? My dog wouldn't let me touch his belly so I used food in my hand with the hand signal to stand at his nose at first. Eventually the food and the hand signal disappear.

Of course I have just come across a problem as now I was asked to give drop sit/drop command when walking without stopping. I was not alone as others found this hard too.

Good luck!

Im having trouble teaching my pup to stand, I dont know what this "kick back stand" is, can someone clarify?

I tried Skips trick, but she just scoots herself forward on her butt, Ive also been told to get her to 'touch' which she does on command, and if I put my hand out of her reach she will creep forward to 'touch' but wont actually stand. Makes it very difficult to brush her when she keeps sitting on her butt and tail lmao

Im having trouble teaching my pup to stand, I dont know what this "kick back stand" is, can someone clarify?

Hi GoldenGirl85

I don't know what the kick back stand is but I think you can try rewarding her every time she is standing in the house while you are putting on her lead etc. She probably does stand sometimes. If you are using clicker this is easy. Just click/treat every stand you see, and then add the cue word.

So it is not part of a training session, because she probably associates training with sits. Try sitting on the floor with her and food luring her into the stand, you draw the food away and forward so she has to get up to follow it, then click the getting up on all fours.

Try Mary Ray's website for DVDs, in particular, "From Puppy to Novice", and "From Novice to Crufts".

luvsablue

:D

The kick back stand is getting them to stand from a sit. Start with something in front of them or on top of a step. I hope Caffy doesn't mind me posting her youtube vid :( .

http://www.youtube.com/user/caffy33#p/u/51/j70Is85GTzo

Thanks Tiggy,

That's what I do half the time and it is how I taught Beckie.

I added a step or three back off both her stands (from sit and down) as well, to compensate for any forwards movements when she does

the drop from the sit. You can just touch the stifle and they'll stand from sit or drop.

Good clip,

luvsablue

:cheer:

Our training is finally coming along nicely :thumbsup: Thanks everyone for your help, Kuta is now standing on command infront of me now I just have to start doing it on my side and then gradually work her into doing it after heeling! vry exciting. Thanks again oh and the clicker is magic I recommend it.

Edited by staffy lover