Leather Vs Other (nylon) Collars

16Paws

I'm just wondering what people's opinions and experiences are with leather collars vs other kinds of collars in terms of strength and safety.

Do leather collars withstand rough play better than other types of collars?

Do they last longer generally?

Are they easier to clean?

Do they crack?

etc :D

If you are comparing leather collars that have buckle attachments to webbing collars that have plastic clip attachments, leather wins every time. IMO collars with plastic clip attachments shouldn't be used to take the dog out on lead with.

But you speak of "rough play" - do you mean there is a second dog in the family? I wouldn't have collars on dogs who live in a multiple dog family. I don't even leave a collar on my own dog when he's unattended and he's a 'single' dog.

Having seen on more than one occasion one of the plastic clip collars break when the dog suddenly lunges there is no way I would take my dog out walking in one of these. Leather all the way I think when you are looking at flat collars.

ETA I dont leave collars on at home so I would not know about rough play durability but I do know it takes a lot less time to chew through a fabric plastic collar than a leather one.I have never had a leather collar let me down but not all leather collars are the same quality either.

Edited by mokhahouse

I think in general, a leather collar is going to outlive a nylon collar - but there are good and bad in both types.

I have a leather collar from Ruthless that I think will last around 100 years :D The quality is fantastic. I make and sell nylon collars and so far haven't had any reports of my clips breaking, the first thing that goes is the fabric covering.

On our working dogs we have usually used either chain or wire collars. Both of these handle the dog jumping in and out of troughs to cool down, don't harbour anything nasty close to the skin and are strong.

The chain collars are made of a comfortably heavy guage of chain, with snap closing them. The wire collars are made out of a heavy guage fencing wire, galv wire, and have a simple loop in the two ends of the wire closing the collar around the dogs neck. They are not a collar you could take off quickly and easily should the need arise and we've moved towards chain collars for this reason.

We did have a sensitive skinned boxer cross who would get some sort of skin irritation with collars, but she was fine with the chain collar.

The chain is alot thicker than a choker chain and the dogs seem to wear them very comfortably. They are cool and strong and clean and smooth.

When conditioning new leather, to take the sharp edges off, get an old piece of canvas (hard, roughish canvas like a horse rug) and hold it in your hand, then pull the leather through the canvas to take the sharp edges off (close your hand around the leather and pull it through) and burnish the leather nicely. Most good quality leather should get enough oil from the dog not to need any additional leather conditioning. I wouldn't use additional leather conditioner cause I feel it can harbour bacteria close to the dogs skin. I would avoid cheap leathers and only get the best quality leather if I was to use leather.

I have a leather collar from Ruthless that I think will last around 100 years :D The quality is fantastic.

Thanks Huga! Maybe it will, but the guarantee is only for 10, ok? ;)

When conditioning new leather, to take the sharp edges off, get an old piece of canvas (hard, roughish canvas like a horse rug) and hold it in your hand, then pull the leather through the canvas to take the sharp edges off (close your hand around the leather and pull it through) and burnish the leather nicely.

We do this to everything. No sharp edges on our stuff :laugh:

I have a leather collar from Ruthless that I think will last around 100 years :thumbsup: The quality is fantastic.

Thanks Huga! Maybe it will, but the guarantee is only for 10, ok? :laugh:

When conditioning new leather, to take the sharp edges off, get an old piece of canvas (hard, roughish canvas like a horse rug) and hold it in your hand, then pull the leather through the canvas to take the sharp edges off (close your hand around the leather and pull it through) and burnish the leather nicely.

We do this to everything. No sharp edges on our stuff :laugh:

Yes, I've seen your stuff and it is top notch.

We did use the Ezydog neoprene collars which were great for our waterbaby but after awhile the velcro kept coming undone (not sure if that was her doing) and once that started happening we had no confidence in their strength for walks, etc.

We tried breakaway collars which are good in theory but they were off more then on, so while there was no question about how safe they were (in the backyard) it was kind of pointless :thumbsup:

My dog has a leather collar, which I prefer, but I keep a synthetic collar on hand for scheduled swimming trips.

Both have strong metal buckles.

I once had a plastic buckle snap in half when my 17kg DA staffy cross lunged at a small dog- it was a nightmare come true and a lucky save. I wont make that mistake again.

Another fan of Ruthless' collars btw- if I could justify another collar to my OH I'd get one in a heartbeat. They are beautiful as well as very strong.

:thumbsup: Maybe I should let Honey swim in the leather one, then I will NEED a new one :laugh: !

My OH makes our dog collars from 'fibretek'/ plastic coated pvc/ strapping- same product just has different names. I prefer them to leather because the sea water doesn't adversely affect them like i believe it would with leather. I went through collars every 3-4 months before getting these and i think they are now 2 1/2-3 years old.

My OH makes our dog collars from 'fibretek'/ plastic coated pvc/ strapping- same product just has different names. I prefer them to leather because the sea water doesn't adversely affect them like i believe it would with leather. I went through collars every 3-4 months before getting these and i think they are now 2 1/2-3 years old.

This stuff is widely used in saddlery and needs no care, is easily cleaned and is nearly indestructible.

However, it does not have the give, the softness or the pliability that a good quality leather collar has.

Another fan of Ruthless' collars ...

Yes - I've see a picture of them. I was too late for the raffle that was going (recently) :laugh: .

But I do intend to contact Ruthless to sort out a 'special' collar for my boy.

My previous girl "Kal" had a collar specially made for her. It is tucked away in a special place and it is special to me. It's hers and something stops me from wanting any other dog (even my precious current boy) from wearing it.

Silly sentimentality, I suppose :laugh:.

Edited by Erny

My dog has a leather collar, which I prefer, but I keep a synthetic collar on hand for scheduled swimming trips.

Both have strong metal buckles.

I once had a plastic buckle snap in half when my 17kg DA staffy cross lunged at a small dog- it was a nightmare come true and a lucky save. I wont make that mistake again.

Another fan of Ruthless' collars btw- if I could justify another collar to my OH I'd get one in a heartbeat. They are beautiful as well as very strong.

:laugh: Maybe I should let Honey swim in the leather one, then I will NEED a new one :laugh: !

I've just had a look on the Ruthless website - they are great looking collars. Leather generally always looks the best too as well as being long wearing. I have for my dogs though when they are at the beach, the ezydog neoprene collars as they are quick drying and washable as well as non-rusting.

I was too late for the raffle that was going (recently) :o .

There'll possibly be a second one soon [for a different cause]. When I have details I'll post them on our Facebook page :)

What? I have to try to find myself around Facebook? I always get lost :) . I created another facebook page to link with my website. But now I can't even find THAT !! :laugh::cheer:

How would I know when you've posted to your Facebook page?

Sorry for the :( .

Edited by Erny

I was too late for the raffle that was going (recently) :rofl: .

There'll possibly be a second one soon [for a different cause]. When I have details I'll post them on our Facebook page :D

What? I have to try to find myself around Facebook? I always get lost :eek: . I created another facebook page to link with my website. But now I can't even find THAT !! :):thumbsup:

How would I know when you've posted to your Facebook page?

Sorry for the :thumbsup: .

Sorry, I presume everyone's on there as much as me :wave: I'll PM you when I have the details :)

PS Here's your page :rofl:

Edited by ruthless

Sorry, I presume everyone's on there as much as me :) I'll PM you when I have the details :rofl:

Thank you, although it doesn't guarantee me I'll be able to 'talk' with you. I hit buttons that often have me zooming somewhere else (some other page/s). But no matter - we'll see how I go at the time :eek:.

Thanks - but I have another page. I'll find it - there's stuff I need to do, obviously, for people to be able to go there. I'm trying to build it so that there are training/care tips on it and that people can find it from my website and vice versa. The world of facebook and how it works eludes me :thumbsup:.

Sorry for :thumbsup: again.

Won't do it anymore. Here, at least :wave:.