American Stafforshire Terrier Ataxia Testing

Rubric

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, so I apologize if there is already a thread on this topic.

I am trying to find somewhere to have my two Amstaffs tested for Ataxia and am having trouble finding a lab who does it. Even the vets I have called do not know.

So I am after some advice about how to go about having this test done. Names or numbers of labs or any other helpful information would be very much appreciated.

We are in Victoria, IDK if that matters, but just in case.

Thank you :D

Edited by Rubric

Hi Rubric,

You have to email Antagene in France and get them to send you a test kit - free of charge, your local vet should be able to perform the test as it's just a cheek swab. Then you have to send the completed test back to Antagene in France along with payment and wait for your results to be posted.

The dog has to have a microchip to be able to prove identity.

This is the website

http://www.antagene.com/index.motsclefs.Ce...iquetitre..html

Rubric, do you have any links for ataxia in dogs? Our mobile vet once told me that an elderly husky who was staying with us looked like he had ataxia . . . never heard of it otherwise. A quick web search finds it as a human disease, and doesn't indicate it's genetic.

p.s. hope it's not offensive to be curious about something that may be a grave problem for your dog. Apologies in advance if it is.

@ sandgrubber

I am not offended by your asking, but I do take a little offence to your implication that I do not know what I am talking about.

If you google Canine Cerebellar Ataxia, you will find many results as well as proof that this diesase is genetic, hence the reason why we and other breeders want to test if our dogs are carriers.

Rubric, do you have any links for ataxia in dogs? Our mobile vet once told me that an elderly husky who was staying with us looked like he had ataxia . . . never heard of it otherwise. A quick web search finds it as a human disease, and doesn't indicate it's genetic.

p.s. hope it's not offensive to be curious about something that may be a grave problem for your dog. Apologies in advance if it is.

It is believed to be genetic in several breeds of dogs but so far I think there is only a test available for Amstaffs (France) and Kelpies (Aust). Not sure if it is also tested in Staffords as well. I'm sure someone can confirm or deny that.

Any damage to the cerebelum, genetic or physical, can cause ataxia.

sorry . . . I didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. You obviously do and are trying to do the right thing by your dog(s)

@ sandgrubber

I am not offended by your asking, but I do take a little offence to your implication that I do not know what I am talking about.

Edited by sandgrubber