Fully Sexed Females

furballs

Hi All

Can anyone tell me whether fully sexed female dogs have natural instincts which desexed females dont? Just wondering if there are differences in their behaviour as this is my first girl which I haven't had desexed. My girl is 12 months old.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All

Can anyone tell me whether fully sexed female dogs have natural instincts which desexed females dont? Just wondering if there are differences in their behaviour as this is my first girl which I haven't had desexed. My girl is 12 months old.

The instinct to mate when in season is one.

Phantom pregnancy can produce "nesting" instinct.

sorry, I didn't explain very well, I have just taken on a couple of foster pups (7 weeks old) and my girl is drooling and hanging around them and sniffing around wherever they are kept. She doesn't appear to be aggressive at all, I am just concerned about how she is handling it because of her reaction. I'm unsure about fostering pups again if she will be stressed about it.

Still not sure what you mean....is she an undesexed bitch....is that what you mean?

Yes, she is "untouched, has everything in place" so I'm not sure if she's having maternal moments with the pups or whether it is stressing her out.

I think that the term that you are looking for is "entire". However, if you have kept your bitch entire because you plan to breed her, then she will need to get used to puppies sometime.

Thanks for your explanation, I'm not a breeder. I don't plan to breed her. You didn't answer my question.

Why is your dog not desexed? Especially if you are not a registered breeder and don't plan to breed????

If you have only just got the foster pups it may take your dog a while to get used to the idea of not only having other dog's around/living in HER home but puppies. The pups may still have the smell of their mother on them as well. She may be stressed because of this. So make sure she has her usual things and don't place her alone with the pups

Edited by OMD²

Are the puppies male or female? How old is your girl?
what the??

I had a 'what the' moment as well. :)

There's 1 girl and 1 boy....My girls has been having most interaction through the puppy playpen so far (since yesterday) but I would like the pups to have some exposure to an adult dog. I have read that drooling means stress but it just doesn't seem that way to me.

Why is your dog not desexed? Especially if you are not a registered breeder and don't plan to breed????

Oh dear, have they changed the laws? Is it illegal to own an entire bitch now :)

And, what Clyde said. Supervise and let her get used to them.

Edited by gareth

I think that the term that you are looking for is "entire". However, if you have kept your bitch entire because you plan to breed her, then she will need to get used to puppies sometime.

Thanks for your explanation, I'm not a breeder. I don't plan to breed her. You didn't answer my question.

In my experience, being entire or desexed doesn't seem to make an important difference in how a bitch reacts to strange puppies. This seems to be more to do with the bitch's own personality - fearful, timid, playful, out-going, etc. However, at certain stages in the oestral cycle bitches can be more moody or more sooky. Hormonal spikes can occur for a couple of weeks prior and during oestrus and for the two months following a season - some bitches are more affected than others, just as some women can be more sensitive to hormonal spikes than other women. If your bitch has just gone out of season or is due to come into season then she may be having hormonal spikes and the sight of the puppies may be exacerbating this. What was she like when she was in season? If she was particularly moody, this may be relevant. Having said all this, it has been my experience that most dogs of either sex, entire or otherwise, are very interested in puppies. This is probably instinct - just as most humans respond naturally to babies (although pregnant and lactating women generally have a stronger response).

I think she sounds stressed. I would keep separate then introduce in a few days but always keep separate when not being supervised. :)

Thanks Clyde, I appreciate your advice. The puppies are kept in a separate room or in a play pen. My girl has been extremely interested in them, hanging around wanting to get to know them but also seems a bit unsure. I've picked the pups up a few times and shown them to her and she had a sniff and then I put them back in their pen. They will never be alone together because these are rescue pups that have probably come from a hard life and don't need the extra stress. My girl isn't aggressive at all so I was interested to know what her drooling was about. Again, thank you.

In my experience, being entire or desexed doesn't seem to make an important difference in how a bitch reacts to strange puppies. This seems to be more to do with the bitch's own personality - fearful, timid, playful, out-going, etc. However, at certain stages in the oestral cycle bitches can be more moody or more sooky. Hormonal spikes can occur for a couple of weeks prior and during oestrus and for the two months following a season - some bitches are more affected than others, just as some women can be more sensitive to hormonal spikes than other women. If your bitch has just gone out of season or is due to come into season then she may be having hormonal spikes and the sight of the puppies may be exacerbating this. What was she like when she was in season? If she was particularly moody, this may be relevant. Having said all this, it has been my experience that most dogs of either sex, entire or otherwise, are very interested in puppies. This is probably instinct - just as most humans respond naturally to babies (although pregnant and lactating women generally have a stronger response).

Thank you, what you've just explained is what I've been thinking actually. She's been on heat once and was very moody and according to what I've read she should be due to be on heat again in the next month or so. Would it be normal for her to drool over the puppies though? When I say drool, she has a constant stream of drool running from her mouth when she's near the pups, it's completely out of character for her.

If you have only just got the foster pups it may take your dog a while to get used to the idea of not only having other dog's around/living in HER home but puppies. The pups may still have the smell of their mother on them as well. She may be stressed because of this. So make sure she has her usual things and don't place her alone with the pups

Why my dog is not desexed is not relevant in this thread. There is a good and responsible reason.

Thank you, what you've just explained is what I've been thinking actually. She's been on heat once and was very moody and according to what I've read she should be due to be on heat again in the next month or so. Would it be normal for her to drool over the puppies though? When I say drool, she has a constant stream of drool running from her mouth when she's near the pups, it's completely out of character for her.

Well, drooling can be a stress reaction or it can be a breed characteristic. If she is not of a breed that is prone to drool, then she may be stressed by not knowing how to interact with the puppies. So, limiting the time she spends with them now and slowly extending the time may help her to learn to cope. I assume that the interactions are all supervised.

Well, drooling can be a stress reaction or it can be a breed characteristic. If she is not of a breed that is prone to drool, then she may be stressed by not knowing how to interact with the puppies. So, limiting the time she spends with them now and slowly extending the time may help her to learn to cope. I assume that the interactions are all supervised.

All interactions are supervised :)

Drooling can be caused from a number of things, not just stress. Excitement can also be a cause for drooling and she may actually be excited about the pups and wanting more interaction with them. My bitch drools excessively when she see's someone with food that she thinks she might be getting some of.....maybe your girl thinks she's in for a treat.....LOL (joking).