Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

KTB - Your guesses for your monsters are great, I just love it!

wuffles - Hrm.. haven't thought of any other breeds, but I seem to see Irish Wolfhound in his face - or atleast when he looks up at you like this: (I could also be absolutely wrong!)

IMG_1571.jpg

ravenau1 - Finally managed to watch your vids (lousy work), hehe.. I like the butt ham aswell. She sure learnt quickly!

Edited by Clastic

Hee! Evil Koala is so funny! And so handy with the diagrams :D I think Hoover has some Muppet in there too though :) I am VERY impressed with Elbie's treat balancing! :p

One of those threads went bang, but the other that Aussie started is still going (for now). So. Many. Options. In. Polls. Couldn't be bothered choosing, or even reading beyond the first page. Thought about writing something along the lines of "Well, my dog's breeder is really nice. He's my brother after all...." But alas, that may expose my precious black monster to the label of being farm yard bred :D

KA, sorry your night out at obedience turned out so crappy :) I hope the next one is better.

Good suggestions everyone :) For what it's worth, I think he definitely has GSD in there somewhere as his general shape and temperament is quite GSD-like. He also seems to gravitate towards GSDs. I think he does have wolfhound or some kind of large houndy breed as his legs are really long, and his independence and stubbornness could only come from a sighthound. And I'd say some kind of 'farm dog' as he has a bit of herding instinct... perhaps ACD as his grey spots are ticked, or a kelpie.

A lot of people say lab but I've never seen it! We've even had husky/malamute :D

I love my mixed bag mutt :p

Good suggestions everyone :) For what it's worth, I think he definitely has GSD in there somewhere as his general shape and temperament is quite GSD-like. He also seems to gravitate towards GSDs. I think he does have wolfhound or some kind of large houndy breed as his legs are really long, and his independence and stubbornness could only come from a sighthound. And I'd say some kind of 'farm dog' as he has a bit of herding instinct... perhaps ACD as his grey spots are ticked, or a kelpie.

A lot of people say lab but I've never seen it! We've even had husky/malamute :D

I love my mixed bag mutt :p

Hmmm...I don't see Lab. Maybe Husky/Malamute? I think he is part wolf :) At least his eyes are. And you're right- it wasn't until I was a vid/pic of Satch near Kuma a little while ago that I realised how tall Satch is!

Hi Lovelies.

Been a crazy few days, so have just managed to skim through the last few pages. I am loving all the pics! Clastic, that one of Mars asleep against the wall!! And KTB, I LOVE the evil dog shot!!! :) The size of the biscuit on Elbie's nose made me laugh! I don't think Genevieve's nose is as big as the biscuit!!!!!!!

Well, Genevieve's flirting with the postman has paid dividends. She hangs out the front around midday every day to obtain her 'pat' from the postman. Should we not have mail and he keep riding past, she barks at him! So now, he always stops at our mail box, even when he doesn't have mail for us! So the other day, he stops past (leaving no mail), but has a present for Genevieve! He had bought her a ball!!! Didn't she think she was the ants pants!!! Unfortunately it was one of those soft foam jobs, so it was massicered (sp?) within about 30 minutes. The postman was telling Hubby that he loves coming past our house and chatting to the pooch!

And for those who have been feeling deprived of Genevieve destruction stories, she has now destroyed the other corner on the couch. I made the mistake of having a shower this morning and the after effects included more foam and one wagily (as my God-Daughter would say!) tail! Also included one not so happy Mummy!!!!!

I do have some photos on my camera, but just haven't had five minutes to myself to load them on to the computer. Will hopefully get a quiet period tomorrow to try!

Hmmm...I don't see Lab. Maybe Husky/Malamute? I think he is part wolf :D At least his eyes are. And you're right- it wasn't until I was a vid/pic of Satch near Kuma a little while ago that I realised how tall Satch is!

Hehe, he is known by OH's soccer team as "Wolf" :)

He is becoming the laziest dog ever. He turns 7 this year which is getting on in years for a dog his size...

He turns 7 this year which is getting on in years for a dog his size...

He still has excellent teeth!

I know!! We have wondered if he was older than we originally thought (because he's so grey) but his teeth say otherwise. He doesn't even get many bones - just a few chicken wings a week. He just has naturally good teefies. Meanwhile Ava gets big bones all the time and her teeth are still yucky at the back! :)

Well, Genevieve's flirting with the postman has paid dividends. She hangs out the front around midday every day to obtain her 'pat' from the postman. Should we not have mail and he keep riding past, she barks at him! So now, he always stops at our mail box, even when he doesn't have mail for us! So the other day, he stops past (leaving no mail), but has a present for Genevieve! He had bought her a ball!!! Didn't she think she was the ants pants!!! Unfortunately it was one of those soft foam jobs, so it was massicered (sp?) within about 30 minutes. The postman was telling Hubby that he loves coming past our house and chatting to the pooch!

That is so sweet of the postman. Pepper likes to growl at the postman, then run away whimpering.. kinda like "grrrrr I'll get ya, I'll get ya! Argh, he saw me heeeeeelp....!!!!"

Clastic - It has been drawn to my attention that I mixed Mars and Pepper up in my last post!!! I am sorry!!! I hope the doglets won't be offended! I could blame any number of things at the moment... Their ears are so similar in colour, it was difficult to tell them apart!

Clastic - It has been drawn to my attention that I mixed Mars and Pepper up in my last post!!! I am sorry!!! I hope the doglets won't be offended! I could blame any number of things at the moment... Their ears are so similar in colour, it was difficult to tell them apart!

Hehe, its alright! I'm pretty sure the doglets aren't offended at all, the photo isn't great in terms of lighting so the colours probably looked darker than normal.

Echo had another day of puppy school today, he was very confident today. He started off very well doing his sits and drops. But the second the first play session came he then lost all focus or interest on me and all he wanted to do the rest of the session was play. A little frustrating to see everyone elses puppy with focus and then looking at your own choking himself trying to get to the other puppies to play while you're shoving a piece of raw chicken up his nose in a failed attempt to get attention lol.

Oh well. I doubt at this stage I will get any response, his second time at puppy school, and I have not trained him in high distractions - set up to fail really :/ . I guess its also hard being in such a small room with 6 or more other puppies, so there isn't really a way to just walk a good distance away to try to gain the attention needed or the room to move as you end up being under 2 feet away from another pair which just diverts Echo to focus on that puppy instead.

I was constantly needing to hold his leash very short and pulling him away to stop him trying to play with the puppy next to us as we sat down during the speeches. He had way too much energy! I may need to really burn him next week before class to bring down his energy levels as I felt like I was holding onto a rocket..

Edited by kyliegirl

KTB: I showed OH the pics of Elbie with the balanced treats and he just about busted something laughing and is now even more determined! They're great! I have trouble getting Astrid to stay still enough for the ham :vomit: Will keep practicing

kyliegirl: Sounds like Echo has a really good routine with you! That's somewhere we're lacking a bit, OH is a shiftworker so our bedtimes/walk times etc are all over the place :rofl:. Astrid is exactly the same as Echo at puppy classes, all she wants to do is play! In the long run though it's been good because it gives you a good chance to work with distractions. We take Astrid for a bit of a walk/play before classes to kind of take the edge of that bouncing energetic excitement, and that's helped too.

wizzle: awwww! What a lovely postman! And I don't for one moment believe that your cute and perfectly innocent looking pooch would destroy anything! :laugh:

Well it was our first day at non-puppy school obedience today (even though we have our last week of puppy classes tomorrow!) and it went better than I was expecting! Astrid was very excited to meet the other dogs (especially a little Frenchie and a Ridgeback, for some reason she falls in love with every Ridgeback she meets :rofl: ). We talked to the trainer and we are allowed to use toys/games as a reward as well as food so that's good and made things a lot easier.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :rofl:

kyliegirl - Hopefully next week will go better even with distractions, it is quite hard when you are in a small room with so many other puppies.

ravenau1 - Yay for a great first obedience class! Its great being able to use toys as training, my boy is definitely more motivated by me waving toys in his face instead of food.

I bathed my 2 ferals today, they now smell very clean and have such a smooth coat, they also don't smell very doggy! :vomit: OH couldn't help because of his injury, so I decided to put my swimmers on and get them washed in the shower, I got quite wet ofcourse but it was less painful than trying to keep Mars in the bathtub by myself!

Mars is now snuggled up next to me on the couch (although I am thinking of kicking him off because he is snoring and farting!)

kyliegirl - don't worry too much about the puppy classes. Elbie's classes were held at our local vet's and gosh Elbie would get excited. Sooooooooooooo excited. We absolutely hated the classroom segments because all the other dogs would be sitting there quietly and Elbie would be lunging and wrestling and trying to get to the other dogs - OH and I both ended up with scratches faces from a paw to the eye, a paw to the face ... We would just be holding on for the play session in the yard. The only other dog that got more excited than Elbie was Lloyd the Boxer who was not only boisterous and exuberant, he had the Happy Wee From hell.

What was interesting is that at obedience class, Elbie settles down much faster so I'm not sure if it's age or venue ... Also, Elbie (and even Hoover) still lunge on the way to dog school - they get so excited to see all the other dogs ;)

Hey Kwala, that dog show you posted pics from the other day was on tv today! I was taking a break from unpacking stuff at my dad's new place and tuning in his tv when it came on. The only way I knew what it was, was that it had the segment with the black Lab Nepal! :rofl: I was watching it with my niece and saying things like "Hmmm, I should teach Ruby that" (when the dog was opening doors etc). But when it came to the part where Nepal got up on the hospital bed I thought, oh dear. No way could Ruby ever do that without jumping all over the poor person and saying "Hi! Hi! Hi! Love me love me love me! Wanna play? Huh? Do ya?" ;)

I dropped Roo off for some quality Mama dog time while I was helping Dad unpack, and I think she had fun. She's fast asleep at the moment :rofl: My brother has one of those huge soft plastic tubs with handles (that you can use to put drinks in at a party or storage etc) that is used to catch overflow from one of their gutters. I caught Miss Roo snorkeling in there this morning a couple of times! Hmmm, she won't play in the clam shell to cool off, but on a day like today that was more humid than hot (it ended up raining), she'll happily snorkel away in a big tub!

Santa Penguin lost one of thingys off the top of his hat the other night. Miss Roo chewed it off. It, uhhhh, appeared, intact this morning :rofl: Don't think I'll be reattaching it though :p

hee hee, Evil Koala is funny! Except you wouldn't feed Hills Science, you'd use something truly evil, like supermarket dog food!

Wufffles, I always thought that there was probably some sort of large hound in Satch - something about the rangieness of his build says wolfhound or deerhound to me.

KA, sorry you had a bad day on Thursday - you really should come and join KTB and Clastic in my SUnday class - at least you know I think Kuma is a gorgeous big boofa! If you want a hand to run through some things, give me a yell, I'm more than happy to do some run throughs with you guys. In fact, after doing the Vicki Austin Instructor workshop today, I have some really interesting interesting ideas to try out!

Wizzle, I love the story about the postman, thats so cute! Its always nice when others appreciate the sheer wonderfulness of our dogs.

I took Shandy to a card party last night (we play 500 in our lunch breaks at work, and sometimes it spills over). I had checked with the host, who knew she was good, and had no problems, but she was such a hit - everyone couldn't get over how well behaved, and easy going she was!

The size of the biscuit on Elbie's nose made me laugh! I don't think Genevieve's nose is as big as the biscuit!!!!!!!

:rofl: I was wondering just yesterday how a cav would go with attempting to balance treats!

And for those who have been feeling deprived of Genevieve destruction stories, she has now destroyed the other corner on the couch. I made the mistake of having a shower this morning and the after effects included more foam and one wagily (as my God-Daughter would say!) tail!

It's always the shower! I think: "It will be just a quick shower!" In that time, destruction can be wreaked by Little Dogs...

lilli_star: It's a very interesting show and those dogs are amazing. I'm always very impressed by how versatile labradors are - not only are they good as guide dogs and therapy dogs, they also do search and rescue so well. I don't think I've ever seen a Kelpie as a therapy dog. ;)

Despite the fact that soft-hearted OH has been leaving the crate doors unzipped at night, the dogs haven't been wandering at night ... until this morning ... I heard skittering on the floor, got up and stared into Hoover's crate which was ... Empty ... I looked into the study and he was in neither dog bed. Elbie was staring out of his soft crate balefully. Hoover was nowhere to be seen ... I walked down the hallway, looked down the stairs at the front yard and saw a dark shape. Behold, the monster was located ...

12feb_01.jpg

At dinner time when we're doing his training, I am lazy and point to the front door mat for his 'go to your mat' exercises. Clearly at 6am, he had a compulsion to go to his mat for some reason. :p

When we get home, we don't let the dogs in immediately. Here's Hoover trying to see what's going on inside the house ...

12feb_02.jpg

Aww.. Hoover was just waiting for a treat for going to his mat.. so cute.

So I have been attempting and failing miserably at teaching Mars the 'are you shy' trick, I have stuck sticky tape, post it notes and peanut butter to his muzzle, looped leashes around it and have put pegs in mutiple places on his head but he just sits there staring at me, I'll have to take pics of our failed attempts next time we try. The way he just looks at me is like "Look Mum, the post-it note is staying on, thats what you wanted right? Can I have a treat now for sitting so steady with a peg on my face?"

Anyway, so I have given up on that trick for now and am in the process of teaching him 'bow', mucho easier! I didn't teach it to Pepper, but when I was trying to take the pic below she just copied what Mars was doing because he was getting treats for it.

Learning_bow.jpg

Rav: congrats on obedience school, I really hope it goes well for you :champagne:

lilli- thats cute, I had always thought dogs would hate to get their faces submerged but its surprising how many dogs love to snorkel and dive!

ktb: aww hoover was merely keeping all the monsters at bay!

clastic- thats hilarious, keep trying! maybe you could try to get them to shake and bring their paw closer to their face? great photo of the bow!

thanks ktb, rav and clastic for reassuring me that my puppy isn't the only one who is hyper at puppy school- I am trying very hard to be patient, I just wish I could gain more value on myself and get him to pay attention.

This said I started to play some games with echo today, encouraging him to follow me where i went by running away and then rewarding with treats and play, also every-time he lost focus I would go and hide and call him, sending him into a searching frenzy. Then my OH joined in and we were taking turns hiding and calling him, by the end of it he was constantly checking where I was standing to make sure I didn't go out of his sight, it was very fun and I would say it really increased his attention to me.

His sit if very fluid now, and he is still dropping like a log when lured into the down position and I can do this with no treats, still no command on the drop. Working on spin, crawl and stand - He isn't getting stand, which is understandable I heard its hard to get a dog to "get" the stand.

Edited by kyliegirl