National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

But why would an AB's club want to move weekends for just ONE breed? Not having a go at you Megz just being realistic :laugh:

If people refuse to travel to a National (for whatever reason) then don't bother showing at all :laugh:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why would an AB's club want to move weekends for just ONE breed? Not having a go at you Megz just being realistic :laugh:

If people refuse to travel to a National (for whatever reason) then don't bother showing at all :laugh:

I agree but it sure would stop the whinging.

It's not like moving it a week either side is a big deal, it would be done well over a year in advance anyway.

You can't please those that want to complain I suppose.

But what stops the club from not holding their show that weekend???

There is nothing stopping them from moving a week either side of their current date.

I know when I was on Council the National shows were requested over a year in advance giving the clubs within that 1000km's the chance to alter their dates as not to disadvantage their exhibitors.

Sounds fair to me Megz. :clap:

I'm all for the the 1000km rule re NO Challenge Points when a Breed National is being held- it is only one weekend per year. It affects all of us who live in the country and who do not get the opportunity to travel to a National every year. It is very expensive to travel to a National - High entry fees, accomodation , fares, fuel, food etc. Most people don't see much change out of $3000 unless they are locals.

However I do disagree about the exclusion of Tasmania and WA from the GSDCA National Roster. As things stand the GSDCA National is purely an East Coast Specialty. Other breeds find it possible to hold their Breed Nationals in Perth and in Tasmania. It's just that some GSDC owners feels that they have God-given right to take x numbers of dogs to a National near where they live. Why shouldn't Tasmanians experience the pleasure of hosting a National?Who says that they must be able to transport at least 375 dogs across Bass Strait in order to host a National? It doesn't have to be the biggest and most spectacular National ever held in order to be a successful National. The entries normally average about 400 plus excluding Obedience. This year's National entry was the best for some time because Melbourne was central to SA, ACT & NSW.

The same with WA .... let them host a GSDCA National. If ever a state Club deserves to host a National it is WA... Each year a large contingent crosses the Nullabor to the National... by air and by road.

It is the East Coasters who are blinkered when it comes to a GSDCA National. They complain about the L-O-N-G trip to Brisbane because they can only afford to fly in 2 dogs. That's life and that's how it is for the Queenslanders for each National that is not held in Brisbane. For 33 Nationals we've had to make the long trip south with a limited number of dogs. But at least after years of fighting for the right to hold a National we won.

The other point that seems to slip the anti-Tas,anti-WA National brigade ..... it's not every year and may only ever be ONCE but give them a go.

I'm all for the the 1000km rule re NO Challenge Points when a Breed National is being held- it is only one weekend per year. It affects all of us who live in the country and who do not get the opportunity to travel to a National every year. It is very expensive to travel to a National - High entry fees, accomodation , fares, fuel, food etc. Most people don't see much change out of $3000 unless they are locals.

However I do disagree about the exclusion of Tasmania and WA from the GSDCA National Roster. As things stand the GSDCA National is purely an East Coast Specialty. Other breeds find it possible to hold their Breed Nationals in Perth and in Tasmania. It's just that some GSDC owners feels that they have God-given right to take x numbers of dogs to a National near where they live. Why shouldn't Tasmanians experience the pleasure of hosting a National?Who says that they must be able to transport at least 375 dogs across Bass Strait in order to host a National? It doesn't have to be the biggest and most spectacular National ever held in order to be a successful National. The entries normally average about 400 plus excluding Obedience. This year's National entry was the best for some time because Melbourne was central to SA, ACT & NSW.

The same with WA .... let them host a GSDCA National. If ever a state Club deserves to host a National it is WA... Each year a large contingent crosses the Nullabor to the National... by air and by road.

It is the East Coasters who are blinkered when it comes to a GSDCA National. They complain about the L-O-N-G trip to Brisbane because they can only afford to fly in 2 dogs. That's life and that's how it is for the Queenslanders for each National that is not held in Brisbane. For 33 Nationals we've had to make the long trip south with a limited number of dogs. But at least after years of fighting for the right to hold a National we won.

The other point that seems to slip the anti-Tas,anti-WA National brigade ..... it's not every year and may only ever be ONCE but give them a go.

Who said Tasmania wants a German Shepherd National ? . I am quite sure the German Shepherd Club of Tasmania are fully capable of speaking up should they wish to host one. This discussion has nothing to do with German Shepherds. It just happened that an owner of this breed was the OP .

This discussion started because we are an Island and its dam hard (but not impossible) to get off. It's not like we just get into our cars and drive.

Every National on the eastern Seaboard can effect the status of a show depending where it is held in Tasmania.

Why is it that those getting to Tassie don't bitch, but those getting out do?

LOL typical mainlander answer.

If every single National for every single breed was held in Tasmania the tables would be turned and it would be you who would be bitching about it ;)

Well I live here and I agree with Sway.

Yes we fly dogs in and out and we go by boat to show and to mate bitches. If you want to use the best dogs in the country you have no choice.

I will say it again, it can be done it takes planning and the rule is the rule.

Its quite simple really if you do not like the 1000k rule instead of whinging in here you and Eric could put a motion in writing to the TCA and then drum up a support base to go to the TCA AGM to get it put forward to the ANKC National Meeting.

I will say it again. If you do not like the rules as they are instead of being in here use the energy to get a motion to the TCA and get it listed put forward at the ANKC Conference to be changed or exemption or whatever it is you want. Rally the support and get them to attend the TCA AGM or letters or whatever it takes. If you have the support then it should get through no problems at all.

As for the clubs and not telling exhibitors thats another thing you should perhaps take up with TCA. Clubs cannot notify exhibitors of things they do not know about.

This really is now quite a joke :D

Edited by Firestone

Oakway

For your information I lived in Tasmania for 15 years - Sandy Bay- so I am very aware of the difficulties and the expense faced by those wishing to cross Bass Strait.

One of the frustrations was the excuse handed out by certain Hobart shops when enquiring about orders placed months ago ' It's on the high seas!'

With regard to the GSDCA National, it's not a case of the GSDCT asking..... they are not on the roster because of the perceived difficulty of distance and crossing the Strait .... Queensland was not put on the roster because of distance. The majority of GSDCA members live in Melbourne.

1000 kms rule is a good and fair ruling. It only affects one breed one weekend. As Firestone has pointed out

I will say it again. If you do not like the rules as they are instead of being in here use the energy to get a motion to the TCA and get it listed put forward at the ANKC Conference to be changed or exemption or whatever it is you want. Rally the support and get them to attend the TCA AGM or letters or whatever it takes. If you have the support then it should get through no problems at all.

As for the clubs and not telling exhibitors thats another thing you should perhaps take up with TCA. Clubs cannot notify exhibitors of things they do not know about.

- Take your gripes to the TCA and work from there.

Edited by Tarmons

Had a funny conversation with my mum and a friend earlier today... turns out some of the people who are saying how "easy" it is to get in and out of Tasmania and they have done it for Royals etc haven't been here in at least 10 years!

:(

You know who you are.

Lets see i was there in 07, and i have friends who make it over every year. Some of them twice a year for both Royals.
And we had a lovely chat in the area at that show. Lots of visitors at that one if I remember rightly

With all this support being bandied about it looks like th motion will get big support when it gets to the TCA :):):laugh::cry::cry::cry:

Just a short post in regards to the flights from Hobart.

We fly puppies from Hobart to Melbourne age 13 weeks.

The cost with cost of Crate [$85.00] and her weight [$141.00] Total for her flight through "Air Express" was $226.00

Air Express or [Toll] now have 2 flights every day 1 early on a morning [having to have dog there around 4.30 am] and 1 late afternoon early evening [ have dog there around 4.30 pm or on week-ends 3.30 pm]

This was correct as at 29/8/09. Our puppy we sent had she weighed about 2 kilo more the price would have been a lot more, but she was lucky enough to just go under the 20kg. limit. She was 13 week old German Shepherd Puppy.

It was also just a little dearer to buy one of the molded Air Express crates for the $85.00 as to hire one which was all mesh was $60.00. We preferred the molded one as she was protected a lot more from all the noise etc. The guys at Air Express were terrific with her allowing her to have her own blanket & toy in with her in the crate. She flew on a week-end and had to be at the Air Freight Terminal by 3.15 to 3.30 and flew out at 5.30 - 6.00 [i think now], but if they have their quota of dogs then you cannot get on and have to wait for the next one or one that hasn't got its quota.

I don't know if this is the same at Launceston, as we deal with Hobart Airport.

This was our experience and our views only.

20 kg and 13 weeks OMGoodness. :D :heart: :D :):laugh:

I hope that included the crate

Adult GSD female 5 years 59 cm and 26.2 kg Own crate Launceston to Melbourne $125.00

Adult Weimaraner female 3 yrs, 26kg Hobart - Melbourne $187.00 (owner supplied crate)

As a guide:

Hobart to Melbourne age 13 weeks up to 20 kgs (New PP40 crate from airline as do not like using hire crates for puppies) (Weight limit of PP40 crate is 20kg) $179.00 (includes new PP40 crate)

Adult GSD female 5 years 59 cm and 26.2 kg Own crate Launceston to Melbourne $111.00

Adult Weimaraner female 3 yrs, 26kg Hobart - Melbourne $120.00 (owner supplied crate)

Over the top...? Having principals? Not at all it's simply about freedom of choice and not being disadvantaged by that choice and not having needless rules, there are far too many as it is, not just in the dog world either

It's rules like this that will discourage the newer show going people who aren't up with all the rules and regulations

Needless rules?? These rules are put in for a reason and a fair one at that IMHO.

I also doubt that this rule discourages newer showies. It's one weekend a year (not even for some breeds). I took the time to read rules and regulations with this sort of thing, why should someone be able to claim ignorance on a matter such as this?

Exactly the very bone of contention! Are the rules fair? Not if in your state you cannot have a National! If Tasmania could have a National for GSD's then maybe we could possibly consider the rulkes "fair" but when a state is excluded by it's own National body from having a National then the ruling is no way fair! Oh it may be fair for those that choose and can go to a National but it leaves the small players just "plain outa luck" and disadvantaged.

It's also a highly discriminatory ruling as well given the circumstances.

Quite obviouly too you're not disadvantaged by the ruling either so I can see why you'd agree with it..

Far too many rules and regulations these days and not to good affect, again IMHO. the politics and back biting within the dog world is truly dog eat dog!!

Based on the information that has been presented in this forum plus other information that certainly would be discussed around the shows and breed clubs, let the TCA know your feelings, lobby/petition them to have the item placed on the ANKC Agenda, if need be get WACA involved also, although there have been National Shows conducted previously in Perth for other breeds. This does not just relate to GSDs so get the other breeds involved. State your case either for the right to conduct National Shows or reduced distance for no CCs to be awarded. Unfortunately with the location of both Hobart and Perth even at 1000km chances are it will only be adjoining/close by states that will be affected unless ANKC change the ruling whereby no CCs are awarded within Australia for that breed/s when a National Show is being conducted on that day/s.

Based on the information that has been presented in this forum plus other information that certainly would be discussed around the shows and breed clubs, let the TCA know your feelings, lobby/petition them to have the item placed on the ANKC Agenda, if need be get WACA involved also, although there have been National Shows conducted previously in Perth for other breeds. This does not just relate to GSDs so get the other breeds involved. State your case either for the right to conduct National Shows or reduced distance for no CCs to be awarded. Unfortunately with the location of both Hobart and Perth even at 1000km chances are it will only be adjoining/close by states that will be affected unless ANKC change the ruling whereby no CCs are awarded within Australia for that breed/s when a National Show is being conducted on that day/s.

Let the TCA know...!! They are simply not interested at all... Simple as that. Waste of time and effort besides that when the crunch come the support will dry up so quickly. Funny that..! People can complain but when it comes to the crunch they'll all withdraw in case they offend someone in a [supposedly] higher position

Long may we complain because no one will get up and be counted and Lord help them if they do!

Well actually no good complaining it needs to be a motion via the TCA AGM to go the ANKC. So you need the motion and then get the supporters to attend the AGM get it off to the ANKC then hope and pray the other states support it.

Let the TCA know...!! They are simply not interested at all... Simple as that. Waste of time and effort besides that when the crunch come the support will dry up so quickly. Funny that..! People can complain but when it comes to the crunch they'll all withdraw in case they offend someone in a [supposedly] higher position

Long may we complain because no one will get up and be counted and Lord help them if they do!

Unfortunately if nothing is on the ANKC agenda it will not be dealt with! The status quo will remain.

You can only try and you may be pleasantly surprised that TCA will take up the fight for you especially if they see that the membership is in favour of the change/s, afterall the members of TCA council are elected democratically aren't they? Lobby the other states for support, they can also have the item placed on ANKC agenda.

If you do not want to go down this line why not go along to your Breed Club and build up support to conduct a National in Tasmania. Maybe then the other states may complain of the 1000km rule and the rule gets changed.