Soft Coated Wheatens

There's a few of us here :o

I've got two full brothers. One is just over 2 and the baby is nearly 5 months old.

Ask away, happy to answer where I can. Mine came from a Sydney breeder.

Beautiful boys, happy as little pigs in poo

The hubby has always had dogs-cockers mainly but wife is allergic. I have talked them out of a doodle-I have learnt so much since I got mine (NO FLAMES PLEASE). They don't like poodles so I suggested these dogs. They would like to meet one to check out the allergy situation. she has no reaction to my dog and tests show she is allergic to hair not dander.

How terrier like are they and how easy to train/groom?

They're very terrier, despite what some people might tell you. They're clownish and on the go all the time. My Grumpy and my previous wheaten I call the 'Laughing Boys'. They're very clever, cunning as all hell, and enormous amounts of fun. I don't know what I'd do without one. They are difficult to groom. Having a single coat, they matt like anything. They are hard to dry when wet! The correct coat is slightly easier to groom than an incorrect coat. They should be slickered to the skin and combed out. There are also health test considerations and a breeder ought to be able to say if they have had any issues in their lines no matter how far back they are. There are several breeders in Victoria.

I know someone who got a wheaten due to allergies and there are certainly less problems but still grooming is an issue for him.

Edited by Sheridan

I have two wheatens.

They are a brilliant breed which I love to bits. but not for everyone.

They are definately terriers. They are a little more laid back than other terriers given that they were bred as an 'all purpose farm dog' as opposed to JUST a vermin hunter, but they still have all the terrier characteristics.

Grooming is a big thing. Ideally they should be brushed and combed at least 3 to 4 times a week. They also need to be kept trimmed.

This is actually one of my favourite descriptions from the SCTW UK site: http://www.wheaten.org.uk/index.php?option...n&Itemid=14

Don't get a wheaten if you are house proud. My two regularly wipe their faces and beards on the walls, carpet and furniture.

I wouldn't be without them though!

post-13205-1273450618_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mollie10

I met a really nice overseas wheaten breeder last year who said that although they were great dogs that they weren't really a dog for everyone. They apparently needed a very devoted owner.

He had some really funny stories to tell. :hug:

I met a really nice overseas wheaten breeder last year who said that although they were great dogs that they weren't really a dog for everyone. They apparently needed a very devoted owner.

He had some really funny stories to tell. :hug:

Wheatens can be a challenge and they have a definate sense of humour. Personally I find it easy to be devoted to Anouk and Ziggy, but as I said, you have to not mind having a dog that steals your underwear and chews out the crotch, wipes its face all over the walls, carpet and furniture, counter surfs, steals things (remotes, mobile phones) and believes it is a lap dog :hug:

Admittedly, they're not the only dogs that face wipe over everything (kerries do as well) but they're ever so good at it. To whit: the week and a bit I had to take off work because the Grumpy One decided to do the face wipe on a bluestone wall that tore his big black nose.

They're challenging ... but how can you go past a dog that can do this?

JackLuftsprung.jpg

Edited by Sheridan

Admittedly, they're not the only dogs that face wipe over everything (kerries do as well) but they're ever so good at it. To whit: the week and a bit I had to take off work because the Grumpy One decided to do the face wipe on a bluestone wall that tore his big black nose.

They're challenging ... but how can you go past a dog that can do this?

Or this?

post-13205-1273452871_thumb.jpg

Hey Mollie10 and wire, do your two trampoline? My first boy did (boing! boing! boing! all over the beds and couches) but Grumps doesn't. He does do the wheaten greetin' and the whirl.

It depends on their mood. We had a mattress in the living room for a few days and Ziggy enjoyed taking leaps off it and they both jump OVER things, but they don't tend to act like pogo sticks except when doing the wheaten greetin'.

Or this?

post-13205-1273452871_thumb.jpg

Luffly!

I don't have a photo, unfortunately, of Grump's bum-in-Mum's-face sit.

lol I do know that one :hug:

Oh something else about wheatens - Sometimes when I'm asleep Anouk will come and hit me with her paw until I'm awake and I pat her. If I stop I get another huge paw in the face

Oh something else about wheatens - Sometimes when I'm asleep Anouk will come and hit me with her paw until I'm awake and I pat her. If I stop I get another huge paw in the face

WAKE UP, MUM! Yes, Grumpy does that one. *whack!*

They're hilarious!

Hey Mollie10 and wire, do your two trampoline? My first boy did (boing! boing! boing! all over the beds and couches) but Grumps doesn't. He does do the wheaten greetin' and the whirl.

It depends on their mood. We had a mattress in the living room for a few days and Ziggy enjoyed taking leaps off it and they both jump OVER things, but they don't tend to act like pogo sticks except when doing the wheaten greetin'.

And they can climb anything ...

WAKE UP, MUM! Yes, Grumpy does that one. *whack!*

They're hilarious!

Completely :banghead:

This is Anouk's "I've got something I shouldn't, come and chase me" look

post-13205-1273460270_thumb.jpg

They are surely the most gorgeous of dogs. Unfortunately for me I'm better with less challenging breeds at the moment. Maybe one day when I have nothing to do but to play with and groom my dog - how great would that be.

They are surely the most gorgeous of dogs. Unfortunately for me I'm better with less challenging breeds at the moment. Maybe one day when I have nothing to do but to play with and groom my dog - how great would that be.

:banghead:

I congratulate you on your exceptional taste :eek: