ZDS

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask:

what constitutes a back yard breeder?

what constitutes a puppy farm/mill?

I look forward to some responses.

regards,

Steve

Just from my point of view.

A backyard breeder is someone who slaps two dogs together to create a litter, with no regards to bloodlines, health testing or anything else beyong perhaps the immediate love for their pet. They may love their dogs and think that because fido is so great, they want to create more just like him/her to share with others. They may just want their dog to have one litter before being spayed, to let the kids experience the "joy" of creation. A backyard breeder may just want to see if they can make a bit of spare cash without much cash outlay and doing it as cheap as possible. I don't think byb are by any means evil, rather they have never "invested" in their dogs beyond the basics. Many have never researched the breed, their passion is not in the breed they are producing rather just the end result of puppies. Because they dont research the breed and learn the standard, the various bloodlines and health issues that can arrise, most of the animals produced by byb are sub par examples of the breed and many have health issues.

Millers, well, that is another animal all together. Bottom line is money. Animals are either making money or they are not...if they are not making money they must make room for those that do..they are lucky if they are euthanized. Money is made by volume, not by quailty. It is a business, it is run with that bottom line and profit margin at the forefront. Most millers have multiple breeds and in the states anyway have to be liscensed by the government.

Puppy Farming and/or Milling is the large scale production of dogs for profit. These run as businesses, with large numbers of breeding females and significantly smaller numbers of males. These puppies are intended as pets sold through Petshops, websites and classified advertisements.

Backyard Breeders are small scale breeders, who have a handful (or less) breeding dogs and produce puppies regularly but not as a business venture. They are not interested in producing show or performance dogs, and sell their puppies through local petshops, classified advertisements and in many cases by "Puppies 4 Sale" signs permanently erected outside their house.

Thank you for your thoughts, so can someone be considered a BYB if they have pedigree dogs and breed pedigreed puppies, however not being interested in showing or trialing dogs?

Also if a breeder does not sell puppies with pedigree papers would they then be considered as BYB?

If there are no pedigree papers with a puppy are they still considered to be pure bred?

Lot's of questions I know, but if I don't ask I will never know.

Steve

Thank you for your thoughts, so can someone be considered a BYB if they have pedigree dogs and breed pedigreed puppies, however not being interested in showing or trialing dogs?

Also if a breeder does not sell puppies with pedigree papers would they then be considered as BYB?

If there are no pedigree papers with a puppy are they still considered to be pure bred?

Steve

If a registered breeder sells pups from registered parents without papers they are in breach of the code of ethics from their state canine councils.

The pups would be considered pure bred if both parents are pure bred. But with out papers this could be disputed.

Technically you could say they were a BYB and they are also very unethical.

Steve

The problem with tagging someone a BYB is that its open to interpretation and whether you show or trial isn't the whole picture. Its more about do you test the parents and do you select the parents based on science and knowledge rather than just pick one thats convenient.Even though you dont show etc do you still respect the breed standard and understand the importance of breeding to a good representative of the breed.

If you sell puppies without papers you demonstrate that you have no interest in what comes next. the purpose of the papers is so everyone can identify the parents so they can take information about the health and the way the dog moves and looks etc into consideration when they breed from related dogs.

Without papers and a registered pedigree they are not considered purebred.