Frozen Meat

geo

Hi all, we live in the NT and as it's so hot my dogs get a frozen piece of meat/bones for treats. They happily gobble it down frozen.

I'm just wondering if there's any harm in doing this? i.e is the frozen meat not so good when it hits their stomachs.?

Thing is, if i thaw it out there's a good chance they'll just swallow it whole and look at me as if to say, "is that all we get!", generally it's a rump off cut about the size of my fist.

any feed back would be great!

We are in Darwin and our dog gets frozen meat and bones. He usually eats them before they get thawed. No negative effects for 3 or so years.

Also no flies around the meat. :)

And he is not very keen on liver and kidneys, but he is eats them when frozen.

I think that chewing them gets them partially thawed so when they get into stomach they are not solid frozen. When it's really hot hw usually licks them for awhile, like icypole. :)

My guys get the mince mix frozen (when I forget to defrost or it is really hot) and their chicken necks in a frozen 1kg bundle - they have had no issues at all. If anything it slows them down so they don't gulp the food.

I do watch my boys eat and they tend to shave the meat off with their teeth and eat it when it is like a crumble ... I can't imagine it would be still frozen when it hits their stomach.

I just make sure the stuff I give them isn't small enough that they can swallow.