Exercise

I think maybe as long as the dog is up to it? Normally Toby is just about unconcious after anti-histamines.

If you PM Ptolomy she has the name of one that doesn't cause drowsiness, I have the name somewhere I could also try find it for you if you like?? Mason is not too drowsy, he is sleeping more than normal but when he is awake he seems fine.

Edited by Masons_mom

I think maybe as long as the dog is up to it? Normally Toby is just about unconcious after anti-histamines.

If you PM Ptolomy she has the name of one that doesn't cause drowsiness, I have the name somewhere I could also try find it for you if you like?? Mason is not too drowsy, he is sleeping more than normal but when he is awake he seems fine.

They are ones like Fexo and Loratidine (I work at a pharmacy remember :laugh: ) but since Toby only gets allergies badly for a couple of weeks when seasons change and even then he dosen't need them everyday even then it isn't a huge problem for me.

They are ones like Fexo and Loratidine (I work at a pharmacy remember :p ) but since Toby only gets allergies badly for a couple of weeks when seasons change and even then he dosen't need them everyday even then it isn't a huge problem for me.

Thats how Mason's started when he was that age, hopefully Toby's dont get worse, I think the name is Zyrtec or something like that ( cant find the paper I wrote it down on now :laugh: )

They are ones like Fexo and Loratidine (I work at a pharmacy remember :D ) but since Toby only gets allergies badly for a couple of weeks when seasons change and even then he dosen't need them everyday even then it isn't a huge problem for me.

Thats how Mason's started when he was that age, hopefully Toby's dont get worse, I think the name is Zyrtec or something like that ( cant find the paper I wrote it down on now :) )

Charlie was on zyrtec once for allergies. he was fine. he still went for his walks.

Shouldn't effect them, as long as they are comfortable. If on a long course of pred they may need more water, as it is dehydrating.

My dogs do obed, agility, come to work with me, bike, walk, play etc. on antihistamines... we don't use pred, unless absolutely needed (very rare). My boy becomes depressed on pred, but is still up to exercise... :hug:

They are ones like Fexo and Loratidine (I work at a pharmacy remember :cry: ) but since Toby only gets allergies badly for a couple of weeks when seasons change and even then he dosen't need them everyday even then it isn't a huge problem for me.

Thats how Mason's started when he was that age, hopefully Toby's dont get worse, I think the name is Zyrtec or something like that ( cant find the paper I wrote it down on now :hug: )

I am pretty sure fexo is the cheaper version of Zyrtec :mad How old is Mason? I thought he was only 18 months? Toby is nearly 3. :cry:

They are ones like Fexo and Loratidine (I work at a pharmacy remember :mad ) but since Toby only gets allergies badly for a couple of weeks when seasons change and even then he dosen't need them everyday even then it isn't a huge problem for me.

Thats how Mason's started when he was that age, hopefully Toby's dont get worse, I think the name is Zyrtec or something like that ( cant find the paper I wrote it down on now :hug: )

I am pretty sure fexo is the cheaper version of Zyrtec :D How old is Mason? I thought he was only 18 months? Toby is nearly 3. :cry:

Sorry I am getting confused I thought lincoln was the one with allergies :cry: I have no idea of generic names etc

Shouldn't effect them, as long as they are comfortable. If on a long course of pred they may need more water, as it is dehydrating.

My dogs do obed, agility, come to work with me, bike, walk, play etc. on antihistamines... we don't use pred, unless absolutely needed (very rare). My boy becomes depressed on pred, but is still up to exercise... :cry:

Mason seems a bit down and I think its the cortisone - hate the stuff :hug:

You can read a bit about my and Asher's experience here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...allergies+asher

Fortunately we were able to establish that some of these reactions were due to adverse food reactions. He's been on elimination and had only very sporadic and very mild reactions since being on it (we do think there is an element of his atopy involved as well)... We are just about to start retesting foods again (had to stop them, as he broke out in a staph infection), so hopefully we will work out what it is :hug:

We haven't needed to use pred since then, for which I am eternally thankful as I don't like using it regularly and his reaction was a case of ""cure" worse than cause".

You can read a bit about my and Asher's experience here: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...allergies+asher

Fortunately we were able to establish that some of these reactions were due to adverse food reactions. He's been on elimination and had only very sporadic and very mild reactions since being on it (we do think there is an element of his atopy involved as well)... We are just about to start retesting foods again (had to stop them, as he broke out in a staph infection), so hopefully we will work out what it is :hug:

We haven't needed to use pred since then, for which I am eternally thankful as I don't like using it regularly and his reaction was a case of ""cure" worse than cause".

I can well believe it as I myself cant take certain meds and when I do I feel tons sicker than I was before I took the meds. I will maybe phone the vet up tomorrow and just say that I am not 100% happy with how he is going, he is sleeping a lot but he also doesnt want to play with his toys etc which worries me. Maybe I need to try a non- drowsy anti-histamine and see how he goes on that

After that which Charlie has been through....I will NEVER allow a steroidal drug (prednisolone) to be administered to one of my dogs without other opinions and/or options..NEVER AGAIN!

I can well believe it as I myself cant take certain meds and when I do I feel tons sicker than I was before I took the meds. I will maybe phone the vet up tomorrow and just say that I am not 100% happy with how he is going, he is sleeping a lot but he also doesnt want to play with his toys etc which worries me. Maybe I need to try a non- drowsy anti-histamine and see how he goes on that

A lot of people have success with Zyrtec... It would be worth trying the Iramine without the pred though, just to see if it is ok for him... That also tells you then, weather it was a combo of side effects from both, or purely the pred that is effecting him... its good information to have for future reference.

Edited by zayda_asher

Maybe I need to try a non- drowsy anti-histamine and see how he goes on that

Definitely do this because I think you will find it is the antihistamine you are using (Polaramine equivalent) which is making Mason drowsy.

Prednisilone has a very good place in doggy health if used short term, it can relieve symtoms very quickly which makes the dog so much more comfortable.

It is the long term use that is of concern.

After that which Charlie has been through....I will NEVER allow a steroidal drug (prednisolone) to be administered to one of my dogs without other opinions and/or options..NEVER AGAIN!

I know how u feel, I had a cat who had skin problems and she was always given cortisone injections, by 8 years of age her kidneys were shot and I had her PTS at 11 years old, my other cat is nearly 13 , never had cortisone and is as active as anything

Does anyone know if its safe for a dog to exercise on cortisone and anti-histamines? I forgot to ask my vet and she is not there today.

My dog lives on Cortisone, exercise is perfectly fine, we've been doing 7km bush walks in the weekends. Just remember that cortisone dogs may need access to water more than non-cortisone dogs.