How Long Can A Bitch Go Past Her Due Date Of 63 Days?

Jsk

Just curious to know how many days over 63 days in whelp can a bitch go over?

I know with people they will generally let you go 10 to 14 days but people are also pregnant 40 wks.

So how does it work with a dog?

It depends on the breed and if you had progesterone tests done. They whelp 63 days from ovulation not from mating. Some bitches will mate before ovulation but most won't mate until after. Sometimes this is a breed trait. Some breeds seem to whelp at day 64 or 65 post mating indicating that they mated early.

In my breed where they nearly always mate after ovulation, they hardly ever go over 63 days without it being a major problem. Personally I get a daily vet check and ultrasound if I don't have puppies arrive by day 63. It is simply not worth the risk to wait and see what happens.

Also if it is a singleton puppy a lot of bitches never go into labour at all. The puppies generate one of the hormones needed to send the bitch into labour. Not enough puppies = not enough hormone, so labour never starts. This is why so many singleton puppies are born by caesarian.

Read Dancinbcs - very carefully, it is an excellent and informative post.

Essentially most dogs dog not go much earlier or later than one day either way from conception - the thing is we don't know exactly when conception takes place, hence people end up talking about these big discrepancies.