Stud Dogs

First of all why do you want to use him as a stud dog? What does he have to offer the breed? Has he had all his health tests i.e hip & elbow scores, PRA tests etc?

It is not just a matter of saying he is avialable for use at stud - the bitches owners have to want to use him.

The only place my dog is advertised is his dogs online profile and I get very few enquiries from that and none where I have allowed him to be used. The times he has been used and the serious enquiries I have have been from people who know him and word of mouth from breeders etc who know him.

ETA talk to your dogs breeder and others in the breed to see what their opinion is as to his quality.

Edited by Janba

First of all why do you want to use him as a stud dog? What does he have to offer the breed? Has he had all his health tests i.e hip & elbow scores, PRA tests etc?

It is not just a matter of saying he is avialable for use at stud - the bitches owners have to want to use him.

The only place my dog is advertised is his dogs online profile and I get very few enquiries from that and none where I hjave allowed him to be used. The times he has been used and the serious enquiries I have have been from people who know him and word of mouth from breeders who know him.

I have had a few breeders ask if he is available to stud. He has good blood lines and is a beautiful dog.

I have him booked in for all his health tests. Basically I just want to find out as much information as I can.

ETA talk to your dogs breeder and others in the breed to see what their opinion is as to his quality.

I have done this and they said as long as his health tests come back fine then he should be good to go.

I like to do plenty of research before I do something and would really like to know if there are any good books or websites out there that offer excellent information.

and... is he registered with a state canine control council? Does his breeder assess him as suitable for stud work?

Yes he is registered with Dogs Victoria and he has all his paperwork.

If his health tests come back clear then the breeder thinks he will be suitable for stud work.

I like to do plenty of research before I do something and would really like to know if there are any good books or websites out there that offer excellent information.

What sort of research? Genetcs, how to handle a matingetc ?

You may also want to consider that sometimes males change after they have been used at stud.

Some may become obsessed and try to hump everything, others may stop eating and whine/bark constantly when they can smell a female in season (they can smell a bitch miles away) and other may become aggressive to other male dogs.

If he is a pet and you yourself have no plans on breeding then I would have seamen collected and stored. That way if people want him you have it on hand and he has never had a natural mating.

My stud dogs in the past have been pain in the butts after they have had a mating, some to the point of not being able to be shown again as they are just to obsessed, others having to go into boarding when the girls are in season and others needing to go on ACP's.

Not all males go like this but it is something else you need to consider.

Leanne

You may also want to consider that sometimes males change after they have been used at stud.

Some may become obsessed and try to hump everything, others may stop eating and whine/bark constantly when they can smell a female in season (they can smell a bitch miles away) and other may become aggressive to other male dogs.

If he is a pet and you yourself have no plans on breeding then I would have seamen collected and stored. That way if people want him you have it on hand and he has never had a natural mating.

My stud dogs in the past have been pain in the butts after they have had a mating, some to the point of not being able to be shown again as they are just to obsessed, others having to go into boarding when the girls are in season and others needing to go on ACP's.

Not all males go like this but it is something else you need to consider.

Leanne

Thanks Leanne. Very interesting points to consider.

What are the costs involved in collecting and storing semen?

I have always found my males to be more settled after a mating. They then know that the girls are only of interest to them on the few days each season when they are ready to be mated, rather than being obsessed with girls all the time.

By all means have some semen collected for the future but natural matings are better when possible.

As a Lab person, some of my immediate questions would include,

what are his bloodlines?

Has he been shown/trialled and with what results?

What are his hip / elbow scores?

Is he PRA clear?

Does he have a current eye certificate for things OTHER THAN PRA?

Has he been tested for EIC?

Has he been used before and I would be looking for details of any progeny?

There would be even more questions to follow...

What are his bloodlines? Very good according to some other Lab breeders

Has he been shown/trialled and with what results? No. I'm in the process of learning how to show him (going to classes).

What are his hip / elbow scores? Don't know yet. He's booked in to have these done.

Is he PRA clear? His parents are clear. He is also booked in to have this test done.

Does he have a current eye certificate for things OTHER THAN PRA? No but looking into this.

Has he been tested for EIC? No. Not sure what this is :thumbsup:

Has he been used before and I would be looking for details of any progeny? No he has not been used before.

Please don't be too critical. I really am just looking into this and I want to do the right thing by researching before (if) I go ahead with this.

Thanks