Training Options For Adolecent Malinois

My 79yo Grandma has an young Malinois, and since my uncle is no longer living there and running her along the beach every day she is going a little stir crazy.

My Dad called me today to look for trainers here in perth with the idea of flying this dog (a female, named Adelaide, or Addie for short) over for a few months or training.

I figured with her being such an intelligent breed, regardless of how well trained she is, she will find and exploit any weakness my Grandma shows. Don't get me wrong, Grandma is as tough as old boots (10 kids!) and is no push over, but she is unable to do the active type work and run any of this energy out of Addie. With this in mind, i though the better options would possible be to look at a specific method of training (Drive Training came to mind as, from what i know, i once established, Grandma would have very effective control, but i don't know if any drive trainers offer that as a service 'We'll train 'em and sent them back' type thing) or getting a trainer from the area to work with Grandma and Addie at their place.

So, i am just asking every one what they think is the better option in this situation? and if any one can recommend a super-duper trainer in the area around that Westfield Marian shopping Centre?

Thanks in advance, and i will check in and anwere any question later on tonight.

C.

I think the first question that needs answering is "what is Grandma going to be able to differently to that which she's doing now, once the dog comes back?" . I mean, the world of training for a week or a few months will be great for the dog, but it's not like stock piling .... mental stimulation and physical exercise is still going to be needed. And because a dog learns to behave for one person, doesn't mean it is an automatic carry over to the next. Each person needs to demonstrate to a dog their capabilities, and dogs will generally respond of what they see and perceive.

Malinois are great dogs and I like them a lot for who and what they are. If I were to take my dog anywhere in SA for training assistance, it would be to Mark Singer - he has a good reputation.

I love the fact that it sounds like your Grandma is still going really strong at 79yo. Good for her :laugh:. But a young Malinois can and often is a lot of dog who needs a constant and reliable leader who will be able to provide ongoing training and mental stimulation.

Edited by Erny

I think the first question that needs answering is "what is Grandma going to be able to differently to that which she's doing now, once the dog comes back?" . I mean, the world of training for a week or a few months will be great for the dog, but it's not like stock piling .... mental stimulation and physical exercise is still going to be needed. And because a dog learns to behave for one person, doesn't mean it is an automatic carry over to the next. Each person needs to demonstrate to a dog their capabilities, and dogs will generally respond of what they see and perceive.

Thats exactly why i figured sending Addie over to here (WA) would be pointless. and to be hontest, i was suprised that someone would sell her a malanois, she certainly knows her stuff, and you'd never guess her age, but i would never even concider this breed for myself at a spritely 25yo. LOL. as for what she could do differently, i don't know, i was hoping there would be a training method that would allow Addie to get the Drive satisfaction that she needs, without Grandma having to run her or tire her out physically. Grandma certainly has the time.

Malinois are great dogs and I like them a lot for who and what they are. If I were to take my dog anywhere in SA for training assistance, it would be to Mark Singer - he has a good reputation.

When i first met Addie, back in September last year, she seemed very skittish and aloof. Lets is all in the back gate while she barked as us from the other side of the veggie patch. Not my kind of Dog, and certainly not the cuddly type, but Belgian shepherds have been the familys breed of choice for years.

I love the fact that it sounds like your Grandma is still going really strong at 79yo. Good for her :laugh: . But a young Malinois can and often is a lot of dog who needs a constant and reliable leader who will be able to provide ongoing training and mental stimulation.

She definantly can be and is a strong leader, just lacking on the side of physical strength and ability. Think of my grandma as the great Aussie character that books are written about LOL.

Micheal Kamphuis (MDT dog Training) is another excellent SA trainer that comes to mind. He trails and breeds Malinios and is very experienced with the breed.

Is he the guy that breeds black Malinois? Just curious as I have heard his name before.. but not sure where?

Crysti_Lei, would it be worth your Grandma joining an IPO / Schutzhund club? (http://www.adelaidesportdogclub.com/)

Perhaps if she was not physically able to work the dog then she might know of someone else that would like to handle it for her during training?

It sounds like she knows her stuff, particularly if Belgians have been the family breed choice for such a long time, so maybe just another outlet for her and Addy?

Micheal Kamphuis (MDT dog Training) is another excellent SA trainer that comes to mind. He trails and breeds Malinios and is very experienced with the breed.

Is he the guy that breeds black Malinois? Just curious as I have heard his name before.. but not sure where?

Crysti_Lei, would it be worth your Grandma joining an IPO / Schutzhund club? (http://www.adelaidesportdogclub.com/)

Perhaps if she was not physically able to work the dog then she might know of someone else that would like to handle it for her during training?

It sounds like she knows her stuff, particularly if Belgians have been the family breed choice for such a long time, so maybe just another outlet for her and Addy?

The Malinios he trials aren't black, but he does have a black GSD also. He's a Schutzhund and security dog trainer. I have heard from people very pleased with his results with high drive and aggressive dog rehabilitation in SA:)

Edited by Black Bronson

The Malinios he trials aren't black, but he does have a black GSD also. He's a Schutzhund and security dog trainer. I have heard from people very pleased with his results with high drive and aggressive dog rehabilitation in SA:)

Okay thanks. I must be thinking of someone else then :thumbsup:

honestly if it is a drivey mal why not find it a good working or trialling home and get something more suitable for your grandmother if she wants a companion. THe dog will always need a lot of stimulation despite how much boarding/training she gets and if your grandmother has periods where she cannot exercise the dog she may find it become frustrated and bored quickly.