Rockhampton Show 9th June

FranVT

I'm showing Luuka at this show. Is anyone going? Are there normally lots of people? She still sucks at stand (no, I suck at getting her to stand) and I am considering pulling her out. :thumbsup:

If she is a baby then I wouldnt stress too much....but practice just for a few minutes every day. We normally do it at feed time....we ask the show dogs to stand and watch and then reward with dinner.

The most important thing is to get out there and have a go, the more you do it, the better you'll both get :laugh:

she is only a baby, they are not expected to be perfect,

I love watching baby classes they are all so happy and have so much fun, I think the judges get a kick out

of their antics sometimes too ;)

babies only have a short attention span like MM said a few minutes a day is all that is needed, she will get the gist

of it eventually,make it a fun happy thing, ignore anything she may do wrong and make a big fuss when she does something right, make it fun so she enjoys going in the ring,

baby classes and sweepstakes are all about getting them used to the ring ;)

Edited by Libertybrook

:stupid: If I pulled every dog that didn't stand as a youngster, I wouldn't have any dogs to show. Even the "perfect showman" Magnus was a right royal little shite to show as a baby.

Actually Fran, I prefer them play up a bit as babies, I don't like to see little robots in the ring and the ones that don't stand and cause you grief are usually the ones that have that "WOW" factor when they are older. :eat:

Thanks guys! It's not that she plays up, she just plants her bottom! She trots out beautifully it's the being still that's a problem!

She is definitely getting better, we are practicing a little bit every day :stupid:

She's not a baby (technically) anymore! Minor puppy now until July!

Thanks guys! It's not that she plays up, she just plants her bottom! She trots out beautifully it's the being still that's a problem!

She is definitely getting better, we are practicing a little bit every day :)

She's not a baby (technically) anymore! Minor puppy now until July!

Hi Fran,

I'll be there with the evil Cynna - it's usually a little crowded but it is good experience for the dogs.

Luuka will be awesome and last time I looked, I don't think any judge has refused for not standing perfectly and she's only a baby, so she'll be fine :).

:rofl: If I pulled every dog that didn't stand as a youngster, I wouldn't have any dogs to show. Even the "perfect showman" Magnus was a right royal little shite to show as a baby.

Actually Fran, I prefer them play up a bit as babies, I don't like to see little robots in the ring and the ones that don't stand and cause you grief are usually the ones that have that "WOW" factor when they are older. :D

Snap SnoFyre its all about practice dog and human. :rofl:

Hi Fran, I think mum and dad have entered with the dallies. You will be fine. PointersRule will be there too so she can give some hints/help if needed. :thumbsup:

It gets very hectic with public verse exhitibitors this day but it is always fun. Most of us hang out in shed. (except if raining we drag out the gazebos as the roof leaks :rofl: )

i am finally home the Callide valley weekend end June so i will see you there. Good luck

I have entered Callide Valley so I will definitely see you there! I am trying to see if there's anyone available to help me this weekend with a little bit of show training but it's probably a bit late notice. No big deal. I might see if your mum minds if I share her spot :thumbsup:

I have entered Callide Valley so I will definitely see you there! I am trying to see if there's anyone available to help me this weekend with a little bit of show training but it's probably a bit late notice. No big deal. I might see if your mum minds if I share her spot :)

Haha - there will be no gazebo - we'll all be crammed very nicely into the dog area.....sideshow alley is usually set up right beside us.......LOL. There'll probably be a few there although probably not heaps and heaps.

You'll get there with Luuka - she's been sit trained from an early age so she's used to doing that to get a reward. I know with mine - I usually alternate or mix up sit and stand so they get used to listening - just be patient. When mine won't do what they've been asked, they don't get a reward - with Luuka - if she plants her bum, just take a step or two away from her and as soon as she rises to follow (this may require some waiting) say "Stand!!!", reward and make a great big fuss over her.

She'll get it - sometimes with training, your positioning can help her to recognise the cues - maybe sit if your standing right beside her, stand when you move away a pace or so - I dunno really - I'm not expert but it's how I did it with mine and while they're far from perfect, they usually get it.

Also, while not in baby puppy class, the judge will know that she is still very young - so it won't be a big issue. Just take her in and if she sits, have a laugh and enjoy it :eek:. If nothing else the judge will be impressed with how obedient she is :(

Fran, as conzruct says, there is hardly any room for gazebos and we all croud into the shed next to the canteen. There are lots of little pens in there that we all set up in, you will need to get there very early in the morning to get yourself one as there is really room for one in each pen...

Okay cool! So should I bother bringing a crate? Maybe just bring a chair? She is pretty good at sitting quietly she won't run around or anything.

I'd probably just bring the chair.

A crate is a good thing for when she gets sick of people wanting to pat the fluffy doggie and needs some quiet time...

Okay cool! So should I bother bringing a crate? Maybe just bring a chair? She is pretty good at sitting quietly she won't run around or anything.

personally i would bring a crate as well. Should you need to go to toilets (remember they are a long walk away) you will need her to be secure. (as they can get under the gates of pens. ) :(

Going to have some show training this arvo :wave: Big thanks to conztruct for helping me with that!

Does anyone know what the order is on Wednesday? Will I have to be there super early? Also is there any way to find out if there are other lappies before the day? Haha :(