What Made You Choose Your Breed?

haylz27

I chose the German Shepherd Dog for their intelligence, versatility and loyalty.

I love watching GSDs work - be it police/military work, search & rescue, schutzhund, herding, tracking, agility or obedience - they do it all! They are an impressive looking dog and I love the way they chat to you, it's such a distinct sound :rofl: The bond they have with their family is second to none, I always feel a great connection to them. :D

I currently have a 10.5 week old GSD pup who has me wrapped around his not so little paws already :rofl:

rykerafterpuppyschool.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Aussie, The thing that attracted me to them was a mixture of type/looks and personality. I always wanted a working dog and have always loved BC's but when I saw my first Aussie I fell in love!

They're cheeky, clever, fun and sooo loyal :thumbsup:

post-25556-1275038801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aussie3

I have two black tri Aussies and will have black tri number three in a few weeks when a little boy from SA will be joining the herd.

We got our first Aussie because my husband decreed he didn't want a dog that looked like an alien...............I was angling for a small brachy breed..................and they sounded like the right fit for us. Thank god we went with his idea and not mine, because I can't think of a more fabulous breed to own. Thay are smart, loyal, amazingly funny and it wouldn't suprise me if mine started talking one day. In fact, Dusty moves her mouth when I'm patting her, and I swear she's trying to get words out.

Lili does that too, it's hilarious :thumbsup:

Pointers, for sure! :thumbsup:

I cared for the father of one of my bitches, years ago, and absolutely fell in love with his loving nature, and willingness for cuddles. ;)

Well, his next litter, one baby came home with me. :)

They are amazing. I love how at night, they have to sleep cuddled up next to me, they may as well use me as a pillow. :D

I love how happy they both are too see me, and how they get there hello cuddles and then do zoomies.

I love how they are smart, yet cheeky. :eek:

Not to mention, the happy look on their faces as they are running across the oval, those lips going everywhere. :D :)

ETA: Would love to see some Aussies at Kepala one day? :o

Edited by Pointees

I currently have pugs too! We have them as they too fit into our lifestyle well and my husband is a first time dog owner. Although they need to be shown who's boss, they are the loveliest, most gentle little companion! Ours make us laugh out loud at least once a day by their antics, and they're either ready for action if you are, or happy to be lazy with you if that's what you're doing! They are just so easy: exercising is easy, feeding is easy, training has been relatively easy (we don't have much for comparison!), and they're not the type that if you're sick and really don't feel like going for a walk, they don't mind and they're not stir crazy because of it!

My other breed I love is a German Shepherd. My parents got one when I was three years old and he was the most beautiful dog I've ever met. Protective, loyal and extremely intelligent. I will have one, one day when I have a little more time.

Aussie Shepherds are my breed! :D

What's not to love? :)

25384_1388081261736_1223209651_31134752_4337424_n.jpg

What initially drew me to the breed was the coat and the colours. I love that each Aussie can have such a range of marking.

What is going to keep me in the breed is their personalities. I love that they just adore being with you, they can be go go go all day with you if that's what you want to do but they love to curl up and snooze at your feet if you study all day. :o I love the fact they get along well with other dogs, teaching them news things is easy and the can be trusted off lead. I love the whole body wiggles that occur when they are happy.

I agree!! Wooow, what a stunning Aussie you have! :)

I have only met... a few Aussies in my lifetime but I know they are definitely the breed for me. :D

I actually saw an Aussie walking in my town the other and nearly jumped out of the car seat haha! He was so gorgeous... My much kind of gave me a :thumbsup: look. ;)

My family on my step-dad's side has always had Danes, for literally generations. When he met my mother, it was a case of "I love you, but I hate the dogs", and so I hadn't met a Dane until I was 16, when I met mine. Yep, first dog, never had the breed, never even met the breed, and I got one. :D Don't give me the DOL "you're stupid" talk, I know it, I tell myself all the time :thumbsup:

Anyway, I love Dobermanns. I love Wolfhounds. I love Airedales. I love Saint Bernards. I love Greyhounds. I love Dogues. I love a seeminly endless list of breeds. BUT the breed that first left inch-deep impressions on my heart is the Great Dane.

I love how they can weigh upwards of 60 kilos but they seriously and utterly believe that they are a toy breed, of a petite 2 kilos, and therefore you will not even notice their feather-light body drifting onto your lap from halfway across the room.

I love how mine is not allowed in the kitchen under any reason, but she stand on her 'line' by the door and slobbers while watching me cook.

I love how when I taught her "shake", I didn't take into account that this meant "by all means, use your shovel sized foot to repeatedly smash me in the wrist, fingers, inner elbow, breasts, sternum, throat and stomach"

I love how they run. They remind me of ponies with mental development issues.

I love how I buy her a $80 collar and a week later it's too tight.

I love how the vet pales when he sees her, and realises his scales in the waiting room are at waist height.

I love how I always end up sharing my bed, my pillow, my towel, my slippers and my morning biscuit.

I love how beautifuly ugly she is.

I will definately own another.

I think I've fallen in love with a Great Dane just by reading about it! ;) :)

I agree!! This made me laugh. :D :o We have a gorgeous dane that I always see out walking with his owner.. I almost want to kidnap him. :)

I cared for the father of one of my bitches, years ago, and absolutely fell in love with his loving nature, and willingness for cuddles. ;)

They are amazing. I love how at night, they have to sleep cuddled up next to me, they may as well use me as a pillow. :D

I love how happy they both are too see me, and how they get there hello cuddles and then do zoomies.

I love how they are smart, yet cheeky. :eek:

Not to mention, the happy look on their faces as they are running across the oval, those lips going everywhere. :D :)

Pointees, I think I'll have to come to the next meet for sure!

I chose the German Shepherd Dog for their intelligence, versatility and loyalty.

I love watching GSDs work - be it police/military work, search & rescue, schutzhund, herding, tracking, agility or obedience - they do it all! They are an impressive looking dog and I love the way they chat to you, it's such a distinct sound :thumbsup: The bond they have with their family is second to none, I always feel a great connection to them. ;)

I currently have a 10.5 week old GSD pup who has me wrapped around his not so little paws already :o

rykerafterpuppyschool.jpg

Awww! What a gorgeous pup. I love GSDs too. :)

I like many many types of dog and can actually find something to fall in love with in every breed BUT I chose my Newfie cos I wanted a big dog cos they are great to cuddle with and make me feel safe, they are so calm and even-tempered and I think they are incredibly beautiful!

Welcome to DOL - what a great question as an icebreaker Hayley!

I have posted a couple of pics of my new baby in the puppy thread.

My family on my step-dad's side has always had Danes, for literally generations. When he met my mother, it was a case of "I love you, but I hate the dogs", and so I hadn't met a Dane until I was 16, when I met mine. Yep, first dog, never had the breed, never even met the breed, and I got one. ;) Don't give me the DOL "you're stupid" talk, I know it, I tell myself all the time :thumbsup:

Anyway, I love Dobermanns. I love Wolfhounds. I love Airedales. I love Saint Bernards. I love Greyhounds. I love Dogues. I love a seeminly endless list of breeds. BUT the breed that first left inch-deep impressions on my heart is the Great Dane.

I love how they can weigh upwards of 60 kilos but they seriously and utterly believe that they are a toy breed, of a petite 2 kilos, and therefore you will not even notice their feather-light body drifting onto your lap from halfway across the room.

I love how mine is not allowed in the kitchen under any reason, but she stand on her 'line' by the door and slobbers while watching me cook.

I love how when I taught her "shake", I didn't take into account that this meant "by all means, use your shovel sized foot to repeatedly smash me in the wrist, fingers, inner elbow, breasts, sternum, throat and stomach"

I love how they run. They remind me of ponies with mental development issues.

I love how I buy her a $80 collar and a week later it's too tight.

I love how the vet pales when he sees her, and realises his scales in the waiting room are at waist height.

I love how I always end up sharing my bed, my pillow, my towel, my slippers and my morning biscuit.

I love how beautifuly ugly she is.

I will definately own another.

Evry day I wish we'd never taught Mosley "Shake"....

All our visitors get a massive paw shoved in their face....Mosley also thinks he's a toy breed and sits on your lap :o

post-25556-1275042237_thumb.jpg

I love how they are smart, yet cheeky. :D

Pointees, I think I'll have to come to the next meet for sure!

That sounds so exciting!! I would love to meet some people from here and their dogs one day. :D Where is Kepala? I think I've heard of it.. I live in Geelong, VIC. :eek:

I cared for the father of one of my bitches, years ago, and absolutely fell in love with his loving nature, and willingness for cuddles. :D

Well, his next litter, one baby came home with me. :D

They are amazing. I love how at night, they have to sleep cuddled up next to me, they may as well use me as a pillow. :)

I love how they are smart, yet cheeky. ;)

Not to mention, the happy look on their faces as they are running across the oval, those lips going everywhere. :eek: :D

ETA: Would love to see some Aussies at Kepala one day? :)

I think a pointee will need to call my house home one day, I love the look and have always loved the sound of their personality.

Love the solids! Wish there were more around.

Aussie Shepherds are my breed! :)

What's not to love? :D

What initially drew me to the breed was the coat and the colours. I love that each Aussie can have such a range of marking.

What is going to keep me in the breed is their personalities. I love that they just adore being with you, they can be go go go all day with you if that's what you want to do but they love to curl up and snooze at your feet if you study all day. :D I love the fact they get along well with other dogs, teaching them news things is easy and the can be trusted off lead. I love the whole body wiggles that occur when they are happy.

I agree!! Wooow, what a stunning Aussie you have! ;)

I have only met... a few Aussies in my lifetime but I know they are definitely the breed for me. :)

I actually saw an Aussie walking in my town the other and nearly jumped out of the car seat haha! He was so gorgeous... My much kind of gave me a ;) look. :D

Thanks, I think she's just the most gorgeous dog in the whole world but I'm biased! :) Dotty, another member on here has her "little twinnie" who is 1/2 sister from the same breeder and is almost identical to Holly in look. Her twinnie sounds more intellegent than mine though! :p

There's often Aussies out a dog shows, if you have the time it might be a good chance to meet some Aussies if you popped out to a dog show! There's also the Vic Aussie Shep Specialty on during the Melbourne cup weekend which is an awesome chance to see HEAPS of Aussies! :o

I am the same if I see an Aussie on the street! Although I'm worse with Irish Terriers (my mum's breed and my 'other' breed) because they are pretty rare.

I'm very excited as my newest Aussie is 6ish weeks old at the moment! She's looking very cute in pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing her Sunday!

Pointers, for sure! :rolleyes:

I cared for the father of one of my bitches, years ago, and absolutely fell in love with his loving nature, and willingness for cuddles. :laugh:

Well, his next litter, one baby came home with me. :laugh:

They are amazing. I love how at night, they have to sleep cuddled up next to me, they may as well use me as a pillow. :laugh:

I love how they are smart, yet cheeky. ;)

Not to mention, the happy look on their faces as they are running across the oval, those lips going everywhere. :laugh: :laugh:

ETA: Would love to see some Aussies at Kepala one day? :provoke:

I think a pointee will need to call my house home one day, I love the look and have always loved the sound of their personality.

Love the solids! Wish there were more around.

Aussie Shepherds are my breed! :)

What's not to love? :D

What is going to keep me in the breed is their personalities. I love that they just adore being with you, they can be go go go all day with you if that's what you want to do but they love to curl up and snooze at your feet if you study all day. :laugh: I love the fact they get along well with other dogs, teaching them news things is easy and the can be trusted off lead. I love the whole body wiggles that occur when they are happy.

I agree!! Wooow, what a stunning Aussie you have! :)

I have only met... a few Aussies in my lifetime but I know they are definitely the breed for me. :D

I actually saw an Aussie walking in my town the other and nearly jumped out of the car seat haha! He was so gorgeous... My much kind of gave me a :confused: look. :laugh:

Thanks, I think she's just the most gorgeous dog in the whole world but I'm biased! :D Dotty, another member on here has her "little twinnie" who is 1/2 sister from the same breeder and is almost identical to Holly in look. Her twinnie sounds more intellegent than mine though! :p

There's often Aussies out a dog shows, if you have the time it might be a good chance to meet some Aussies if you popped out to a dog show! There's also the Vic Aussie Shep Specialty on during the Melbourne cup weekend which is an awesome chance to see HEAPS of Aussies! ;)

I am the same if I see an Aussie on the street! Although I'm worse with Irish Terriers (my mum's breed and my 'other' breed) because they are pretty rare.

I'm very excited as my newest Aussie is 6ish weeks old at the moment! She's looking very cute in pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing her Sunday!

I am definitely hoping to go to a show sometime soon! I just have to find out when the next ones are in VIC. :)

That's awesome! What colour is she?! We would love to see some pics sometime. :thumbsup:

What gorgeous dogs!

We'd always had Border Collies and I still love them dearly

When our beautiful red boy died we decided to get a smaller dog.

I did some looking and came up with a Cocker Spaniel, so happy I did!

I'm in love with the breed - The description of Merry Cocker is all you need to know!

Lyndsay is getting the sister to my new boy......Holly and my girl Dusty are from the same breeder.

There are shows on most weekends at KCC Park in Cranbourne. If you checks the Dogs Victoria website you should be able to see a list of activities on each month.

I will be starting to show my new little man around mid-July, I hope.

ETA, here is my new little love. He will be coming home on the Queens Birthday weekend. His name is Isaak.

MATT6850CustomImage0312131.jpg

Edited by GayleK

Just look at them! Sibes are gorgeous (especially my sibe!)!

3817754096_580ab14b4f.jpg

Shame about the shedding, the independence and their ability to make any human look like a complete and total idiot! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Sibes were the perfect breed for my circumstances when I got Z - I love that you have to think on your feet with them and think of new ways to deal with their quirks. When they cuddle, because it doesn't happen very often, it's really special and they're just so fun to be aorund. I think he has made me a better dog owner because he's not an easy or biddable dog. I really do have to think about ways to train him, keep him occupied and keep his brain active. He's a challenge!

What made you choose your favourite breed?

My OH had an Afghan Hound with a beautiful temperament, a real old soul. I loved him but wanted a dog similar to an Afghan but without the coat care requirements for myself. I chose a Saluki, not realising that they are quite different from Afghans in their own way,

What do you love about them?

They have their own minds, they're beautiful, they are demanding, they are not for everyone.

Do you currently own this breed or want to?

I have three. Best dogs in the world :rolleyes:

Black tri! Gayle is getting his GORGEOUS brother who is also a black tri. I love the boy Gayle is getting and if we could keep a dog he would have been my pick! :rolleyes: Very glad he's going to such an awesome home where he will get a chance to hit the show ring.

My new girl, Bree at 6 weeks! She'll hit the ring in about 6 weeks!

32188_1479434185502_1223209651_31357344_5086992_n.jpg