Puppy Drinking Heaps ?

Christina

A friend has a beagle x something pup, its a fair size for 16 weeks. From the pet shop :eat:

Seems healthy & friendly but she said it seems to drink heaps. When I asked how much she said about a litre a day. Its outside a fair amount & its not hot in her house when its inside. That seems a lot, is this a normal amount ?

I am only used to my little poodles who don't drink anything like that much so not sure.

A friend has a beagle x something pup, its a fair size for 16 weeks. From the pet shop :)

Seems healthy & friendly but she said it seems to drink heaps. When I asked how much she said about a litre a day. Its outside a fair amount & its not hot in her house when its inside. That seems a lot, is this a normal amount ?

I am only used to my little poodles who don't drink anything like that much so not sure.

when we first got our puppy she was drinking heaps to.we swapped the brand of biscuits she was on (pedigree to eukanuba) and stopped feeding the tin food and haven't had a problem since...maybe it's the type of food she is on?

A friend has a beagle x something pup, its a fair size for 16 weeks. From the pet shop :laugh:

when we first got our puppy she was drinking heaps to.we swapped the brand of biscuits she was on (pedigree to eukanuba) and stopped feeding the tin food and haven't had a problem since...maybe it's the type of food she is on?

Some dry foods will make a dog quite thirsty and it's also quite possible that the food she is on has a fair bit of salt in it, also contributing to her thirst.

Even if the house doesn't seem hot to us some forms of heating emit a dry heat that can make animals (and people) very thirsty too.

Mokha used to drink excessively as a pup. He too came from a pet shop and they never seem to have enough water available to the pups. I have complained about this to them. Our vet did lots of tests to make sure the excessive thirst/urination was not a medical issue.All was clear and she said he had psychological polydipsia, which basically means its all in his head. We had to measure his fluids and put his bowl down at intervals during the day. He got better with age and now only drinks to excess if he is anxious or stressed. The vet said it was important to rule out physical causes before restricting water intake so I would suggest a quick trip to the vet to discuss this problem.

Mokha used to drink excessively as a pup. He too came from a pet shop and they never seem to have enough water available to the pups. I have complained about this to them. Our vet did lots of tests to make sure the excessive thirst/urination was not a medical issue.All was clear and she said he had psychological polydipsia, which basically means its all in his head. We had to measure his fluids and put his bowl down at intervals during the day. He got better with age and now only drinks to excess if he is anxious or stressed. The vet said it was important to rule out physical causes before restricting water intake so I would suggest a quick trip to the vet to discuss this problem.

I love the way we in the Veterinary field come up with impressive names for things :thumbsup:

My 7mo cocker used to drink heaps when I first got him. He came from a breeder, and I was also concerned about the amount he drank. But after a week or so he settled down and is now drinking normal amounts. I put it down to the stress of being away from him family and going to a new home.

I love the way we in the Veterinary field come up with impressive names for things :confused:

I know it makes me laugh. My poor dog and psychological condition. Sounds much better than he is nuts and drinks too much.