Genetic Disorders In Your Breed

jazzygirl

I thought this would be a great topic as I am really only aware of degenerative disorders of the Kelpie. So I will start :thumbsup:

The kelpie is a generally sound breed but the degenerative brain disorder called Cerebellah Abiotrophy is a concern and has been since the mid 80's. This disease affects a dog's coordination, balance, depth perception, stance and motor skills.

It can be very obvious or only slight. This horrible degenerative brain disease can affect even new born pups. It is a recessive gene that can be carried by dogs that show no signs.

I thought this would be a great topic as I am really only aware of degenerative disorders of the Kelpie. So I will start :thumbsup:

The kelpie is a generally sound breed but the degenerative brain disorder called Cerebellah Abiotrophy is a concern and has been since the mid 80's. This disease affects a dog's coordination, balance, depth perception, stance and motor skills.

It can be very obvious or only slight. This horrible degenerative brain disease can affect even new born pups. It is a recessive gene that can be carried by dogs that show no signs.

I believe kelpies also get HD.

I was reading the HD stats in some of the european nordic countries where all dogs being bred must pass hip scoring first which is FCI A or B, FCI A is AVA 10 or less, B is 11-20. The C D E F affected rate on the keplies was running about 20% of dogs tested. These dogs are all direct decendents of Au imports, both working and show lines. Someone I know in Norway said the rate was high enough that some who started in the breed were now leaving it as too many dogs they kept could not be bred due to hip poor scores. So this might be something you want to look into.

I also know of 3 kelpies that have HD (that friends own) and one of those also has Elbow HD and Dilution Alopecia. All of these are inherited disorders.

One well know kennel of show dogs I know has also found HD in some of their dogs and is now screening for it.

Krabbe disease is also found in Kelpies- and a genetic marker has been found!!! It has similar clinical signs to Cerebellar Aboitrophy (also known as Cerebellar Ataxia for anyone who decides to google) athough has only been shown in working lines. Blood was used from the Cerebellar Aboitrophy study to find the Krabbe disease.

CA has been found in both working and show lines and a joint effort is being made to help Dr Allan Wilton to find a marker so that we can test for this disease. Also CA in kelpies should take at least 6wks to become apparant.

I think its very scary- I am contemplating a litter in the new yr and am flying blind with regards to CA!!

Yes shortstep- I have heard of a few Kelpies with HD. ALthough it is also interesting to read an article (I wish I could find the darn thing again) that the hips of working dogs should be a good fit but they posed that they should have slightly more elasticity than other breeds due to the nature of thier work- twisting and turning. Not sure if I completely believe it but it raised some interesting points.......

Weimaraners can suffer from HD and they also suffer from a lot of Immunodeficiency issues, which can come out in various ways and are quite hard to pinpoint... there is no genetic marker but there have been several findings made that can relate to full vaccinations so it is recommended by most breeders to stagger the vaccs... it's not as common as people think but there was a period where there was a particular stud was used in WA which was thought to throw immuno and that seemed to increase the awareness of the issue. Apparently I think it's wobblers which is quite common for weims in the US buti don't believe it's common here.

English Setters also suffer from HD, as well as the possibility of deafness, and skin issues and gut issues. I have one that has skin issues and one that has HD... lucky me!

Border Terriers - Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrone.

This has recently been discovered in Borders in Australia. It presents as similar to an epileptic seizure. A lot of research is being done. It is hereditary.

eta - It's common name is 'Spikes Disease'.

Edited by pebbles

Yes shortstep Kelpies certainly can inherite HD.

Woofenpup - Yes CA is a great concern and I know where you are coming from.

Thanks for sharing guys.

EDT to correct spelling.....oops

Edited by jazzygirl