Hairballs?

My boy, a Rotti/Dobe Cross (who is turning 4 on Sunday!!) has been making noises, perhaps once every 2nd day, that sound like he is coughing up a hairball.

It starts like when you have your mouth wide open and "huff" all the air in your lungs out in one go, which he does 3 or 4 times, then he does a noise like he his "hoiking" up some phlegm, which he then appears to swallow and trots off again.

It doesnt seem to bother him, but is there anything i can do for him? Im assuming he is in no discomfort, but thought i should tap the bastion of knowledge that is the DOL forum to make sure everything is ok!

post-29153-1275398666_thumb.jpg

Edited by StevenJC

My boy, a Rotti/Dobe Cross (who is turning 4 on Sunday!!) has been making noises, perhaps once every 2nd day, that sound like he is coughing up a hairball.

It starts like when you have your mouth wide open and "huff" all the air in your lungs out in one go, which he does 3 or 4 times, then he does a noise like he his "hoiking" up some phlegm, which he then appears to swallow and trots off again.

It doesnt seem to bother him, but is there anything i can do for him? Im assuming he is in no discomfort, but thought i should tap the bastion of knowledge that is the DOL forum to make sure everything is ok!

I have not heard about hairballs in dogs, just in cats.

How is your dog otherwise, eating and drinking normally, alert or lethargic?

How is his coat, shiny or dull/lifeless? Is he a fearful, easily frightened and maybe even aggressive at times?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get a full picture.

Dagmar

I have not heard about hairballs in dogs, just in cats.

How is your dog otherwise, eating and drinking normally, alert or lethargic?

How is his coat, shiny or dull/lifeless? Is he a fearful, easily frightened and maybe even aggressive at times?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get a full picture.

Dagmar

He is his normal self, loves food, loves his exercise. Going to bed a tad earlier which ive put due to the sun going down earlier, but otherwise he is tops

Could it be a mild case of kennel cough??

Does it only happen certain times of the day ie first thing in the morning or just after waking up?

I was thinking the same, not sure about the kind of coughing though. Is it a bit like a "goose honking" cough and then he has to retch because he had to cough so much?

Dagmar

Could it be a mild case of kennel cough??

Does it only happen certain times of the day ie first thing in the morning or just after waking up?

I was thinking the same, not sure about the kind of coughing though. Is it a bit like a "goose honking" cough and then he has to retch because he had to cough so much?

Dagmar

No its random times. And no, not like a goose. The only way i can describe it is like a cat furball :)

My very large (big, not fat) male pug does this. He also honks like a goose, but that is when he is excited. This other wide mouthed hoik he does at random times, middle of the night, walking through the lounge... any time... no set triggers that I could ever figure out.

he's been checked and even had lung x-rays (when he did have a cough) and all is okay. Oatie is 10 yo and been doing this for years. It sounds like he's just couhging up phlem (and then swallowing it)

I've not worried about it, because he's been checked over quite a few times and given the thumbs up.

Brigitte

My very large (big, not fat) male pug does this. He also honks like a goose, but that is when he is excited. This other wide mouthed hoik he does at random times, middle of the night, walking through the lounge... any time... no set triggers that I could ever figure out.

he's been checked and even had lung x-rays (when he did have a cough) and all is okay. Oatie is 10 yo and been doing this for years. It sounds like he's just couhging up phlem (and then swallowing it)

I've not worried about it, because he's been checked over quite a few times and given the thumbs up.

Brigitte

Could be in you pug's case just a soft palate issue. That happens in older dogs, the muscles relax more and more and the soft palate can drop down. Then the dog does this kind of coughing you described (massaging the throat from chest to mouth usually helps).

The other dog is still pretty young, so I do not believe it is the soft palate. If it is not this honking coughing, then it probably also isn't kennel cough.

Please do not worry, we are already excluding problems! If you are too worried, by all means go and see the vet. As long as the dog is still alert, eating and drinking normally, I personally would not be too concerned. The moment your dog gets lethargic or stops eating/drinking it is a sign to rush to the vet.

How long is that 'hairball' coughing going on, when did it start?

Dagmar

For the OP - Sounds like Kennel Cough - if you do a search through the threads you'll come across lots of info :cry: Honey is good and don't take your dog out for walks etc for a couple of weeks after the dog stops coughing...it will just spread the infection to any other dogs about. Keep an eye on your dog for if it gets worse, and take the dog to a vet if you feel concerned at any stage - just warn them that you think it may be kennel cough so they can let you in throuh the back door or something rather then possibily infect other dogs in the waiting room/or that will use the waiting room.