Guide Dog User Refused Access To Restaurant

Baby Dragon

Ruff call could bite Coast restaurant

Thomas Chamberlin | June 2nd, 2010

A CHINESE restaurant on the Gold Coast could face a fine of up to $50,000 after refusing to serve a blind man because he brought his specially trained guide dog inside with him.

Geoff Skinner, of Atherton in far north Queensland, said he entered the Peacock Inn at Broadbeach on Sunday night with his wife Janet and guide dog Gadget, only to be told he could not eat inside and would have to either tie his dog up outside or be seated outside.

The 63-year-old, who became legally blind eight years ago, presented a small card explaining he had a legal right to enter the restaurant with the dog but he said restaurant staff refused to serve him.

"It was very humiliating and disheartening and ruined our night," said Mr Skinner.

Queensland's Guide, Hearing and Assistance Dogs Act 2009 states guide dogs can enter shops, cafes, restaurants, clubs, hospitals and ride in taxis, buses, ferries, trains and on planes legally.

Fines of up to $10,000 for an individual or $50,000 for a business can be imposed for refusing them access.

"There was no compromise," said Mr Skinner.

"I explained he was a guide dog and that he doesn't get separated from me.

"We've been there before and it wasn't a problem but the girl said she got into trouble last time we came in," he said.

Disability Services Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said there would be a thorough investigation into the incident.

"This is a very serious matter and my department has contacted Mr Skinner about his complaint," she said.

"Most businesses are doing the right thing but those that don't will face the full force of the law."

Restaurant manager Yang Zhao, who said he was a law student at university, confirmed Mr Skinner was not allowed to have his dog inside at the weekend.

He claimed that another law, the Food Act 2006, could override the newer legislation.

"Personally I would like to allow the dog into the restaurant," said Mr Zhao.

"If there is somewhere I can find more information ... currently I don't think I did anything wrong," he said.

Guide Dogs Queensland communications and marketing manager Donna Hurley said the Guide, Hearing and Assistance Dogs Act 2009 allowed dogs to be let in and said that should be 'the end of the story'.

"That's the law," she said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/0...coast-news.html

Edited by Baby Dragon