Puppy Hates Bedtime... What To Do?

Marley'z Mum

hi all

Any ideas on this one would be very helpful, my puppy hates bedtime, he sleeps in the laundry, i have a gate up 2 keep him in there, he has his bed an his toys in there, but when i go to bed an put him in there for sleep time there is still alot of barkin an cryin goin on for atleast 15mins maybe longer, i leave the radio on..... I have only had him 2weeks, will he grow out of it or is there sumfin i can do?? Oh an he is 9wks old

Guest belgian.blue

Do you tire him out before bed? Can you crate him in your room until he settles into a routine?

I found this helped my puppy but he sleeps in the bedroom with me so the crying didn't last long past a week.

He will defiantly grow out of it, patience makes perfect :thanks:

Let him sleep with you :thanks: problem solved.

Otherwise try a heat pad, its absolutely freezing & he will have been used to sleeping with the body warmth of the litter.

Leave the radio off at night, it may keep him awake, save it for if he is alone in the day. There is a little toy thing you can buy that replicates a heartbeat noise, may help, search some dog supply places on the net or someone may post where they are obtainable.

He will grow out of it - just a lot of patience is needed until then! :thanks:

I second the suggestion of tiring him out before bed time. I used to do that and ended up tiring myself out a lot more so the both of us slept like logs.

He won't if you don't set the boundaries and enforce them.

Laundries are heat sinks.. the coldest room in the house.

Have you considered crating him in a warmer part of the house or in your bedroom?

If the laundry is where you want him, make sure he;s got a warm bed, CLOSE THE DOOR, and ignore him. If his cries arent' rewarded with attention (and only if), he will eventually settle faster.

I used a crate for my boy at night ... he had no problems going in as that was where he got his food (so he thought his crate was wonderful). I have a cover for the crate so he went in about 15 minutes before I went to bed and then when I headed to bed the cover was pulled over. Initally he sooked a little (when he was really young) but he quickly settled down.

Even now my boys have no problems going to bed because they get a bone to take with them ... they often go to bed waiting for their bone :thumbsup:

i understand the laundry isnt ideal, i dont have access to a crate atm..... There isnt a door on the laundry thats y i have a gate on there

I would love 2 have him in my room however he still isnt toilet trained an my bedroom is carpet'd...... Any ideas?

i understand the laundry isnt ideal, i dont have access to a crate atm..... There isnt a door on the laundry thats y i have a gate on there

I would love 2 have him in my room however he still isnt toilet trained an my bedroom is carpet'd...... Any ideas?

Yes, buy a crate and quickly!!

Before Oscar could hold on during the night we had him penned in the bedroom with a plastic sheet underneath the penned area, with newspaper on top. The only problem was that it was noisy when he walked around on it!

A crate would have been much easier to use I think!

Hi there,

How big is your pup? Our boy has always slept in our bedroom. Initially, (for the first week) we had him in a huge cardboard box, filled with blankets and pillows of course. It was very cosy. He couldn't get out and would cry when he needed to go out, I would wake up and then take him. After a week we tried him without the box and popped him into a bed we had bought for him. He slept most of the night, only waking up once and still crying to go to the toilet. He never went in our bedroom. Perhaps it was because of the first week in the box, perhaps he was just a super good puppy!

This was back before I knew much about crates... if I were to get another puppy I would consider the crating option. But to be honest, Zander coped so well with the box method and pretty much treats his big bed as a crate now anyway in that he always goes to it to be calm and quiet indoors, so I'm not sure.

Good luck with your pup! :thumbsup:

Edited by natamalie

Let him sleep with you :) problem solved.

Otherwise try a heat pad, its absolutely freezing & he will have been used to sleeping with the body warmth of the litter.

Leave the radio off at night, it may keep him awake, save it for if he is alone in the day. There is a little toy thing you can buy that replicates a heartbeat noise, may help, search some dog supply places on the net or someone may post where they are obtainable.

Do you mean the SnugglePuppy? Those things are awesome. If OP is looking to find one they can find the cheapest here for $38.50 compared to $50 on eBay.

if you really cant afford a crate at least try bunnings for a compost cage thingy (its 4 metal meshed panels) $25 cable ties are $2 a packet and clips for one side. Turn this into a crate in your room and a cheap cot mattress protector can go on the floor and is washed and reused easily. pop puppys bed into this with some toys and treat it like the crate. Our have these for day but in our room have real crates, Our baby is using a $30 reject shop pet carrier one but shes a toy breed and will be getting her real one soon. Ours too have always been easily settled as they are in our room

Bec

I agree with those saying to get a crate and let pup sleep in your room. He's just left his mum and littermates and is very likely cold and lonely in the laundry - he'll be comforted by sleeping near his new pack (that's you :() Good luck. :laugh:

I agree.... let him sleep in your room. Our sleep on a dog bed next to our bed (and sometimes on our bed) :rofl:

We didn't crate train our Puppy (older dog was 12 months when we got him so was already toilet trained). We just bought a piece of mdf board from bunnings and blocked his exit so he is on a bed between our bed and the wall and has a piece boarding beside it safely fixed up so that he cannot get out. He wakes us in the night (normally by standing on his back legs and licking my husband) :shhh: but he now sleeps mostly through the night.

The dogs can hear our breathing (or snoring in my husbands case) so are reassured. Mind you, maybe they'd choose the laundry if they had the choice - My husband does snore LOUDLY! :mad:)

Susan

first thing that jumped out at me was - he is 9 weeks and u got him 2 weeks ago... was he 7 weeks old when u got him?? Not really a good thing..

but as said - laundry is freezing and echos and would be scary

crates can be found pretty cheap on ebay occasionally so maybe keep an eye out there??

first thing that jumped out at me was - he is 9 weeks and u got him 2 weeks ago... was he 7 weeks old when u got him?? Not really a good thing..

Long story, explained in the welcome new member's section..... but I got him from a not so nice environment...

I realise the laundry is cold, he has a bed in there that is slightly raised of the floor and he has a heat up bean bag that i heat up before he is put to bed...

at the moment I cant afford a crate, I would love to crate train him but just cant... at the moment I am working on trying natamalie's idea :cry:

I really appreciate everyones comments but things arent sometimes as cut and dry as they may seem