Rec For Vet In Eastern Suburbs Melb? Non-yearly Vaccs!

My local vet that I've always used up to this point is very against the idea of 3-year vaccinations and insists that I give my dog annual shots. I asked about titre testing but he told me it wasn't comprehensive and didn't test for distemper and that they did not do them.

I'm willing to drive to another vet that is open to the idea of non-yearly vaccinations. Really would like someone who is a little more flexible and more helpful, and also more knowledgeable regarding titre testing.

I'm located in eastern suburbs of Melbourne (around Westfield Doncaster). Thanks in advance for any help you can swing my way!

My local vet that I've always used up to this point is very against the idea of 3-year vaccinations and insists that I give my dog annual shots. I asked about titre testing but he told me it wasn't comprehensive and didn't test for distemper and that they did not do them.

I'm willing to drive to another vet that is open to the idea of non-yearly vaccinations. Really would like someone who is a little more flexible and more helpful, and also more knowledgeable regarding titre testing.

I'm located in eastern suburbs of Melbourne (around Westfield Doncaster). Thanks in advance for any help you can swing my way!

I'm in South Eastern suburbs. I don't know of a Vet or Vet clinic around here who is so new-age and open-minded to the "less is more" ideals of vaccinations ........ however, NO Vet as the right to "insist" anything, when it comes to our pets, especially things such as vaccinations.

My local GP Vet is Dr. Steve Waits. His clinic (Beaconsfield Veterinary Clinic) is conventional when it comes to vaccinations (ie recommend yearly vaccs; regular worming; etc) but they know that I don't advocate that type of regime and so they don't pressure me. I did ask about titre testing once and Dr Steve seemed fairly open-minded to the idea of doing that when I was ready. He was going to find out costs etc. As it turned out, my dog's health issues led me down the path of more holistic veterinary measures and hence I ended up seeing another Vet (Dr Bruce Syme) in Castlemaine. Whilst I was there, I had bloods taken for titre testing, which is why I haven't yet followed through with Dr. Steve Waits.

But perhaps if you were to contact him he would be able to inform you as to whether he now does the titres.

I only went to this vet last year for annual vaccs (moved out of the area) but Blackburn vet (http://www.blackburnvet.com.au) is doing 3 yearly vaccs and offered them to me...they were quite helpful and did a good examination, I haven't been there for any health issues recently but they were good with my old dog as well.

Care needs to be given in the interpretation of "3 yearly vaccs". Are you talking about the super-charged vaccination which is purported to be the subsitute for the 1 year vaccination (and which I wouldn't touch) or are you talking about the 3 year vaccination regime, in which the usual vaccination is given but only once every three years?

Mind you, I wouldn't (and don't) do the latter either, past the usual puppy vaccinations.

Edited by Erny

You are the vets EMPLOYER.

You pay HIM to do a service.

He will do what you bloody well want.

If you don't want yearly vaccinations that is your decision, not his.

There are plenty of articles online written by vets stating that yearly vaccs are unnecessary, just print some out and shove them down his throat show him.

No vet can make you vaccinate your dog. Take in for a vacc, then tell them you'll see them in 3 years! :thumbsup:

Problem with doing this (although I agree with you on principle!) is the vacc card then only lasts for the 12 months and thus is useless for things like obedience clubs, groomers etc.

Wyndham vet in Werribee will do the 'off label' which is the regular 'annual' vaccine signed off for 3 years (the only thing is you will need to have the Kennel Cough vaccine updated at least 2 weeks before putting the dog in a kennel, but IMO if you aren't going to use a kennel facility- don't bother with the KC vaccine).

No vet can make you vaccinate your dog. Take in for a vacc, then tell them you'll see them in 3 years! :thumbsup:

Problem with doing this (although I agree with you on principle!) is the vacc card then only lasts for the 12 months and thus is useless for things like obedience clubs, groomers etc.

Wyndham vet in Werribee will do the 'off label' which is the regular 'annual' vaccine signed off for 3 years (the only thing is you will need to have the Kennel Cough vaccine updated at least 2 weeks before putting the dog in a kennel, but IMO if you aren't going to use a kennel facility- don't bother with the KC vaccine).

Agreed, mine will get done if/when being boarded. And if you enter comps then you need to... but just for house pets, in my opinion, it is not needed.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My vet isn't pressuring me to get the vaccinations, but he is sort of adamant that I'm not doing the "right" thing. My dog is currently three years old - last year I had decided not to do a yearly vacc but after speaking to my vet, I become really doubtful of my decision and ended up getting the shot anyway. THIS year I am determined not to get it done! But I find it hard to stick with it when a vet - someone who's been schooled and more experienced then me - disagrees with my idea. I want to do the best thing for my dog and it really puts me in doubt. That's why I kind of want to find a vet that actually supports the 3 year vacc regime, it will make me feel much better about my decision!

My vet just keeps telling me that parvo and KC are very, VERY important. Frankly my dog isn't ever boarded but I do take him down to the local park and he sniffs poo etc. I don't know - at this stage I'm still very confused. I just don't want my dog to get sick or suffer because of some stupid decision I made which goes AGAINST the recommendations of a trained professional.

As others have stated, you can geet your dogs vacc'd how you'd like, but you won't have the vaccination certificate required for boarding, obedience, flights etc.

My vet is in the SE Suburbs and has given me a certificate that says they only need their vaccs in 3 years time! This is not his standard practice though. I rang him and we chatted for about 1/2 an hour and he agreed. I think he agreed because he knows me, he knows I geet annual check-ups (they need the annual CC vaccine to go into kennels anyway) and he knows they are well looked after and I bring them in if needed.

He still recommends annual vaccinations to most clients for many reasons. I won't do his reasons any justice but it does go along the lines of the herd level of vaccinations in our area (below 70%. You need the total herd to be over 70% to reduce the risk of epedemics) - your dog might be safe but there are greater community issues. There are also some other reasons that I won't go into here.

Chichihuahua - Most dogs do fine after vaccines (note to everyone - I didn't say all). At the end of the day you have to make the decision that you feel is best for your dog and the community and stick with that.

ETA: for those knocking the vets that don't go with 3 years, the manufacturers haven't come to the table and they are only endorsing it for 1-year - that puts vets in a very hard spot re: liability.

Edited by megan_

Thanks for the replies everyone. My vet isn't pressuring me to get the vaccinations, but he is sort of adamant that I'm not doing the "right" thing. My dog is currently three years old - last year I had decided not to do a yearly vacc but after speaking to my vet, I become really doubtful of my decision and ended up getting the shot anyway. THIS year I am determined not to get it done! But I find it hard to stick with it when a vet - someone who's been schooled and more experienced then me - disagrees with my idea. I want to do the best thing for my dog and it really puts me in doubt. That's why I kind of want to find a vet that actually supports the 3 year vacc regime, it will make me feel much better about my decision!

My vet just keeps telling me that parvo and KC are very, VERY important. Frankly my dog isn't ever boarded but I do take him down to the local park and he sniffs poo etc. I don't know - at this stage I'm still very confused. I just don't want my dog to get sick or suffer because of some stupid decision I made which goes AGAINST the recommendations of a trained professional.

Print out the AVA Release which confirms its view that yearly vaccinations are too much and put that in front of your Vet.

I agree that Parvo is "very, VERY important". No one argues with that. But if the dog has good anti-body levels, what's the point of subjecting the dog to unnecessary over-dose of drugs? Why doesn't your Vet do titre tests if he has the dog's best interests at heart - wouldn't that be better for the dog?

These are the sort of questions I'd be asking him.

Or, as you say ..... look for another Vet who is a bit more open-minded.

And, IMO, Canine Cough vaccination is not "very, VERY important" and there's no way I'd place that in the same category as Parvo. Canine Cough is a doggy equivalent of flu. Sure, like any resperatory virus you need to keep an eye on it forming a secondary infection, but mostly, a dog with Canine Cough, if cared for properly, will recover. Just like we do.

And besides - if Canine Cough vaccination is so "very, VERY, important" .... your Vet should be panicking because there's only a few strains covered (usually two - which is the C5 vacc) and yet there are in excess of 100 strains of CC. That being the case, many of our dogs should have carked it from Canine Cough by now.

The Vet Practice in Yarrambat wouldnt be too far of a drive for you, probably 1/2 hour. They are very pro a 3 yearly schedule and very pro the natural approach to treating animals.

Agreed, mine will get done if/when being boarded. And if you enter comps then you need to... but just for house pets, in my opinion, it is not needed.

I haven't vaccinated for KC in the past 6 years, even my show dogs. I know few show ppl who do it. Kennel Cough is generally such a mild condition that is simple to treat and the vaccine not only doesn't cover most strains but also has been linked to more severe cases/bringing about symptoms as a side effect of the vaccine.

had one dog get it, she was 6 months old and had been vaccinated 3 months prior. She picked it up while being desexed (shelter pup who I adopted at 14 weeks then had neutered at 6 months). Treatment was cheap and easy. Yep there are severe cases but talking to vets and dog people the general consensus I have found is these are either already vulnerable animals or those who have been vaccinated.

Besides, the new AVA regs state that the vaccine only lasts approx 6 months and they recommend only having done 2 weeks before the dog needs it for it to have the beat protective properties.

I only went to this vet last year for annual vaccs (moved out of the area) but Blackburn vet (http://www.blackburnvet.com.au) is doing 3 yearly vaccs and offered them to me...they were quite helpful and did a good examination, I haven't been there for any health issues recently but they were good with my old dog as well.

Blackburn Veterinary Centre takes care of my dogs too. I've been going there for 15+ years. I see Andrew who's happy to go with 3 yearly vaccinations. I haven't vaccinated my 6yo dog since he had a reaction to his 16 month C5 booster. My nearly 5yo's last vacc was the 16 month booster and my oldie (approx. 13yo) was vaccinated before she came to me 4 years ago and not since.

Andrew knows my thoughts on over vaccinating and puts no pressure on me. We'll discuss titres again when I see him soon for a check up for all 3 dogs. He knows I don't hesitate to take them in if I think something isn't quite right. He's a good vet and a good surgeon. He's taken great care of my dogs over the years and done a number of surgeries on them. I like that he actually listens to what I say instead of talking at me.

If we have a health crisis it always happens on a Sunday when Blackburn vet is closed. My Cavalier ruptured a disk on a Sunday and I discovered he ate Ratsak that blew in from next door during a storm on a Sunday, which meant I had to take them to the local vets. They know what they're doing but they're not much interested in talking with owners. They seem to think dog owners are dills who know little to nothing about dogs. We are in hot disagreement regarding vaccinations.

ETA: for those knocking the vets that don't go with 3 years, the manufacturers haven't come to the table and they are only endorsing it for 1-year - that puts vets in a very hard spot re: liability.

I have found this to be the main sticking point. The vet essentially agrees that yearly vaccinations are not necessary but can't advocate for it because the manufacturer says the vaccination is required yearly. Hopefully this can be overcome but I don't see that the manufacturers would have any incentive to change their guidelines.

That's fair enough. But if that was the only reason why some of these Vets not only advocate but push for yearly vaccinations, then I still think they are wrong. There is no reason why they cannot explain that they must recommend yearly vaccinations due to manufacturer specification and if the owner informs the Vet that's not what they want for their dogs, then the onus has to be on the owner and no longer on the Vet. There would be no reason to keep pushing the point. If what you've written above IS the only reason why.

I recently discussed this with my vet up here in northern country vic, his response was "It's entirely up to you", he said he didn't feel it was necessary for people living in and around suburbs of Melb as there doesn't seem to be parvo outbreaks in the city, but up here in country vic he said they do see a lot of it especially from dogs living on or near orchards and for the cost of treating a dog with parvo compared to the cost of the vaccinations he knows what he'd choose but doesn't push for yearly vaccinations if owners only want 3 yearly. So am still none the wiser if I should get my 3 year old maltese x shihtzu done as he is due for yearly vaccinations next month, I haven't bothered with my old dog of 16 lady this year as she doesn't go out for walks now and always seems to have reactions to vaccinations and is a bit off colour for couple of days.

My friends vet in Rochester told her he'd go with the vaccinations this year with her 2 young dogs then wait the 3 years, but again said they do see a lot of parvo outbreaks up here so I guess it's a risk you have to weigh up according to if your vet as to if there is much parvo in your area.

...but up here in country vic he said they do see a lot of it especially from dogs living on or near orchards and for the cost of treating a dog with parvo compared to the cost of the vaccinations he knows what he'd choose but doesn't push for yearly vaccinations if owners only want 3 yearly. ... but again said they do see a lot of parvo outbreaks up here so I guess it's a risk you have to weigh up according to if your vet as to if there is much parvo in your area.

But it's not really about cost or risk. It's about the dog having immunisation against the disease and NOT NEEDING more drugs pushed into his system.

ETA: It's about the health of the dog. We vaccinate for health, certainly. But over-vaccinating is contraindicated for health. And the really annoying thing is that this does not seem to be the prime concern by many Vets. Their prime concern is diffused/complicated by the bureaucracy of the vaccine manufacturer label. And we can only guess at what the prime interest by the drug manufacturers are, if they still insist that the vaccination is required on a routine 12 month basis.

Edited by Erny