Stopping Unwanted Behaviour Between Dog & Cat

TYLER23

Morning All,

We have an 11 month old SBT and 9 month old British Shorthair who insist on playing rough with each other all the time. I understand they are both young and their behaviour will probably mellow out as they get older, but we'd like to be able to sit down and watch tv in an orderly manner without a wrestling match taking place in front of us. They were introduced to each other approx 5/6 months ago.

The dog only mouths the cat lightly and has never shown any aggression, and the cat certainly gives as good as he gets and sinks his teeth/claws into the dog.

I can separate the dog and get him to sit and stay at my feet while the cat licks his wounds, but as soon as the cat makes any sudden movements it's back on in a big way. the cat seems to enjoy it as well, as he'll jump of the table and run across the room saying "catch me if you can".

The only way to get them quiet is to move the cat to another room. they get to interact (rumble) with each other in the same room about 2 or 3 times a day for about 10 or 15 minutes. After that they need to be separated as they won't stop.

Here is a short video, any suggestions would be welcome.

Dog and Cat Rumble

Have your dog in a crate ( you will need to crate train your pup.. plenty of info on DOL!) or on a leash while you are watching TV or whatever?

Perhaps, if you have no crate- provide dog with a mat/bed... tether him there (using a chain leash so it cannot be chewed and a bad habit established, and under supervision only!) with a treat , or a kong stuffed with goodies .. so he is calm and occupied and settled :D

I say leave them at it. Eventually they will get bored and take a break. They are only doing it so much now because its a novelty when they are together.

ETA: From the video, it looks like the dog is instigating the play, so I'd let them play for a while, then put the dog on a leash.

Edited by Kirty

Have your dog in a crate ( you will need to crate train your pup.. plenty of info on DOL!) or on a leash while you are watching TV or whatever?

Perhaps, if you have no crate- provide dog with a mat/bed... tether him there (using a chain leash so it cannot be chewed and a bad habit established, and under supervision only!) with a treat , or a kong stuffed with goodies .. so he is calm and occupied and settled :D

we've used the crate from day dot, it sits in the corner of the lounge room, and yes, sometimes when the dog gets too rough with the cat he is confined to the crate.

:D :)

Apologies: I don't have anything solid to add. Surely if you let them keep going one would have enough and get the message across to the other one?

yep, the cat certainly does let the dog know. he grabs him by the neck and sinks his teeth into the dogs cheeks and won't let go.

It's pretty cute really! I was sure I was going to click the link to that video and see a dog playing too rough and a cat not liking it.. but it honestly looks like they're both bad as each other lol.

As for stopping them.. I dont have any real insightful advice but if it were me I'd just separate them to different rooms everytime I busted them doing it if it really bothers you. Perhaps 'breaking it up' in a kind of dramatic way with clapping and a "NO!" would make them realize it's undesirable behavior too?

Perhaps 'breaking it up' in a kind of dramatic way with clapping and a "NO!" would make them realize it's undesirable behavior too?

Yep, tried that... the dog sulks in the corner for a little while and knows he's in trouble...5 mins later... it's on again.