Members Of Dogs Nsw

teekay

OK, I'm a little confused. I will try to give a 'quick' overview of my situation.

As some of you know I abhor the 'breeders' where I got Jenna (GR xSamoyed). When I first discovered their website they stated they were 'registered Professional Breeders with the NSW Canine Associations." I exchanged many e-mails with them when I discovered the potential problems with Jenna's hips and one of the things I kept asking them for, was proof of this statement. I continually asked them for a prefix which they refused to give me and they removed the claim from their website. I have subsequently reported them to the Office of Fair Trading sending copies of all e-mails we exchanged, some of which were really nasty on the 'breeders' part.

Today I received a letter from the OFT. In the letter it states that the breeder is a member of Dogs NSW, membership No. xxxxxxxxxxx and that membership allows her to sell pure bred Scottish Terriers

This is where I get a bit confused. Does being a "member" mean she is a "registered Breeder" or does it just mean she pays a membership fee, or is there even a difference? I do not know how Dog NSW works. Can anyone become a "member"?

I did e-mail Dogs NSW to check the information and also told them about the many crossbreeds they are selling and received the following reply:

Ms xxxxxxx is not a financial member of DOGS NSW. Another family member is and Dogs NSW is currently investigating the matter of cross bred dogs being offered for sale on this website.

There is probably not much more I can do. I hope I have made life a little more difficult for her at least.

Any thoughts?

This is where I get a bit confused. Does being a "member" mean she is a "registered Breeder" or does it just mean she pays a membership fee, or is there even a difference? I do not know how Dog NSW works. Can anyone become a "member"?

Being a member doesn't mean she is a registered breeder, she must also have a breeders prefix to be a registered breeder.

A member pays an annual fee and to hold a breeders prefix you pay an additional fee as well.

Thanks Lab lady, I just found the info on the Dogs NSW site FAQ page but the bit that still confuses me is where they say "membership allows her to sell pure bred Scottish Terriers" ?????????

I think you will find that that means her breeder's prefix is only for Scotty Terriers as far as DogsNSW are concerned

But it only says she is (well another family member is) a "Financial Member" nothing about a breeders Prefix. Bear in mid this Breeder has numerous Designer Crossbreeds for sale.

I think you will find that that means her breeder's prefix is only for Scotty Terriers as far as DogsNSW are concerned

But it only says she is (well another family member is) a "Financial Member" nothing about a breeders Prefix. Bear in mid this Breeder has numerous Designer Crossbreeds for sale.

True - Ministry of mis-information.

Being a registered breeder means you can only breed your purebred registered dogs to other purebred registered dogs of the same breed but it doesn't stop you from breeding other dogs of different breeds however you want. Being a member doesn't mean you have a prefix to breed registered dogs. I know some commercial puppy farmers are members of Dogs N.S.W but don't have a prefix.

I also know that some breeders who are registered in other registries which are not recognised by the ANKC as breeders are members of Dogs NSW.

Thanks Steve, that is what I thought. These people are obviously members but not registered breeders and the Office of Fair trading do not understand the difference. :)

Quoted from the Dogs NSW Code of Ethics

5. A Member shall not knowingly permit any of that Member's pure bred dogs to be mated to a

dog of a different breed, to a cross-bred dog, or to any unregistered dog of the same breed or

to a dog not on the Main Register unless:-

i) such mating is for the health, welfare and/or the development of a breed or an aspect

thereof,

and

ii) The member has obtained the prior approval of the Board of Directors.

The prohibition against crossbreeding contained in this clause shall not apply to guide and

working dogs. 12/08.

But of course that means that if you only mate your "non pure bred" dogs (be they of a single breed or cross breeds) your not in violation of the code of ethics??? Makes a mockery of everything we believe in.

Why can't our CC's have balls and rules/laws, not just a code of ethics with huge loop holes!