Canidae Or Artemis

I have two dogs, well, originally my partner's but I'm becoming responsible for their nutrition! One is a purebred border collie and the other kelpie cross.

They are currently having Advance for breakfast and a dinner of meat/veggies or barf patties as well as bones. I'm wanting to switch to be better dry food and thinking of either the Canidae ALS or the Artemis Fresh Mix Adult. I have tried them on the Evo which was good however I am not inclined to support a particular chain of pet store. Also, it is almost prohibitively expensive. Thoughts or the two proposed?

It's a little off the subject but I agree, EVO is fantastic, but way too expensive. I used to work for that particular chain and have to say that the mark up on products (including EVO and Innova) is unbelievable! I refuse to buy it because i don't want my money going them. Hopefully, the people from Innova will get out of whatever contract they have with that chain and it will be more widely available and a bit cheaper too!

I would only ever consider feeding my dog Innova Evo, however the price has increased from $90 to $150 for a 13 kg bag. I don't know how any business can justify a 66% increase in price in three years.

Currently researching different brands as the moment.... but takes time to work your way through all the hype and bull that these companies spew.

Edited by Cloudwarrior

Zero is on artemis and he's never looked better. Unfortunately he's only on the healthy weight management variety because he packs on the weight if he's not but I'm more than happy with his diet and he is too! :dropjaw:

I feed my guy Canidae Grain Free Salmon, he loves it. I think it a great kibble. I order mine online through their own website, it gets delivered for free for the big bag. You have to feed them less of it too than other kibbles. I looked into Artemis as well, but though I would try the canidae first as it's grain free and better value for money, as you have to feed less of it. But Artemis, looks like a really great food though. So I don't think you could go wrong either way, I guess it's just what your dogs will do best on.

I would only ever consider feeding my dog Innova Evo, however the price has increased from $90 to $150 for a 13 kg bag. I don't know how any business can justify a 66% increase in price in three years.

Currently researching different brands as the moment.... but takes time to work your way through all the hype and bull that these companies spew.

Isn't Innova only available from that pet store chain that sells puppies and kittens? If so that counts me out because I won't buy anything from any pet store that supports puppy farmers.

Isn't Innova only available from that pet store chain that sells puppies and kittens? If so that counts me out because I won't buy anything from any pet store that supports puppy farmers.

Everyone says that, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it sold at a pet store (that doesn't sell pets) in a SE suburb in Vic. It IS ridiculously expensive though.

Everyone says that, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it sold at a pet store (that doesn't sell pets) in a SE suburb in Vic. It IS ridiculously expensive though.

I'm not sure, but I think that could be Pet Goods Direct, which is owned by the same company as PP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

The Canidae I feed is $120 for 13.6kg, but I only need to feed about 1/2-3/4 the amount of other Super Premium Kibbles. I also feed the Grain Free Version, the ALS with Grain is cheaper again. I think it was $105 for 15kg (can't exactly remember though), but still a great value.

Like I said it's still early days for my boy on Canidae Grain Free Salmon, but he is loving it.

Edited by meluchja

I'm not sure, but I think that could be Pet Goods Direct, which is owned by the same company as PP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

The Canidae I feed is $120 for 13.6kg, but I only need to feed about 1/2-3/4 the amount of other Super Premium Kibbles. I also feed the Grain Free Version, the ALS with Grain is cheaper again. I think it was $105 for 15kg (can't exactly remember though), but still a great value.

Like I said it's still early days for my boy on Canidae Grain Free Salmon, but he is loving it.

It would be a Pet Goods Direct store. It is owned by the same company and Innova is definately NOT available at any other stores. PP, PGD and Pets 'r' Us are the only stores allowed to stock it atm. Btw Pet Goods Direct are going to introduce the selling of live animals from their stores. Some already do. I used to work for them before I knew any better!

I've been feeding Artemis fresh mix to my boxer for the past 2 months, but after doing some research on U.S made dog food in the past few days I've discovered that the standards for producing pet food in the U.S are absolutely appalling, in the U.S they are basically permitted to state anything on the pet food they manufacture, it can be a bag of crap and they can call it premium.

The FDA do not allow pet food companies to state weather the meat in pet food is human grade or animal grade, the only way to find out what grade it is, is to ask the manufacturer, and hope they tell you the truth. So you might think your feeding your dog a "super premium " food, and in actual fact it could be a bag full of road kill and toxic chemicals.

I did a google search on artemis/ethoxyquin and Bingo they use ethoxyquin to preserve the fish in their dog food, as do the majority of the U.S dog food companies that have fish as an ingredient in their food.

I e-mailed Artemis asking them if they use ethoxyquin in their food and what grade the meat is, and if they are the actual manufacturer of the food, as I've also learnt that alot of these so called " SUPER PREMIUM " dog foods in the U.S are actually made by a company called DIAMOND.

only in america !!

While the internet can be a great tool, it can also be a "tool".

I'll be interested to see the response you get from Artemis - but why not contact Artemis Australia? They can give you the same information.

Just as with human foods, pet foods come in a range of quality and grades, so it makes sense to seek for correct information when selecting products.

Sags

I did e-mail Atemis oz and Artemis U.S, I also e-mailed the woman in the U.S from where i got the info about the standards (lack of) for producing dog food in the U.S,

she is the only one to e-mail a response to me so far, and has confirmed that it is DIAMOND PET FOODS that manufacture Atremis dry dog food, and a company named EVANGER that manufacturer wet ( can ) food.

Anyway, i've decided that 13.6 kg bag of artemis is going back to the supplier and i'm going raw. :laugh:

Just thought to share for those interested.. I emailed the Australian distributor of Artemis in regards to ethoxyquin and received this response..

Thank you for your email. Artemis have never added Ethoxyquin to their

foods, it has always been preserved naturally. They used to use fish meal

that had been preserved with Ethoxyquin which is a requirement of the US

coast guard but after the cooking it would have been all burned off anyway.

Now they only use fish meal which has been preserved naturally(more

expensive but guarantees not even a miniscule amount remains)so you can be

assured there is NO ethoxyquin in the food at all.