Some Small Successes For Puppy

koalathebear

Well.... Just for Elbie!!

Genevieve by no means is as talented as the Great Elbie, but she is getting there!! And so is her not so computer savvy Mum!!!

Oh my goodness - she is soooooooooo cute and so focussed! I didn't know cavs could be that focussed - the two I've met are super-adorable but selectively deaf. How old is Genevieve now? She is doing so well! I'll bet she could master a crawl - little dogs look so cute when they do the crawl. We can't get Elbie to do it yet alas. I'm so impressed with her responsiveness and the intense concentration on her little face :rofl: The cav in Elbie's class is so funny because his owner has to say: "Lookatmelookatmelookatme" when they do heel work :cry:

Can't wait to see more Adventures of Genevieve. What a pity she and Elbie can't have a meet-up :cry:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really should get myself together and do more training with my lil man...... he can do sit, stay, and now touch oh and he waits for his dinner, but thats about it......

wizzle that was adorable :rofl:

You can do it, MM! And post the videos here because I'd love to see more of little Marley. Also, if he's as hyperactive as Elbie, you'll find that learning all the tricks tires him out and makes him quiet - at least for a little bit :cry:

Thank you!! Thank you!! :laugh: :laugh:

We are getting there! I still find she looks for a treat most of the time. I took that video last night just before dinner, so she was hungry and a bit wound up! Took a few goes to get something that was worth putting up! She has her moments where she will just look at me intently and do anything I ask.... then she has (a lot more) moments where she basically says 'whatever Mum!' and does her own thing!

I am trying to teach her 'say hi to Daddy' (wave), sometimes she does it, but other times she just jumps on me to get the treat! When she gets better at lying down, I would love for her to do shy, but she doesn't seem to like to stay in the down position very much.

Marley's Mum, it is easier than you think! Just bribe him with food! Maybe it is something fun your kids could do with him... as long as they are calm and patient!

Oh my gosh Genevieve is adorable! You sure make her work for that one treat though :rolleyes: I've seen some brilliant cavs doing obedience and agility :D

I grew up with a tricolour cav named "Pokey" who was one of the most perfect dogs ever.

Thank you!

Yes, sometimes she gets a treat straight away, sometimes I make her work that bit harder. Because I was using one hand to hold the treat (and try to keep her back from the camera!), I made her work hard for that one, just so I could video it! She kept getting too close to the camera! She is pretty funny...

She is a good dog though. Such a good little friend. Would highly recommend the breed. My husband bought her for me, to keep me company while he is away. And she does that well. Our favourite thing to do is snuggle up on the couch after dinner and snooze. And her snoring reminds me of OH!

I am trying to teach her 'say hi to Daddy' (wave), sometimes she does it, but other times she just jumps on me to get the treat! When she gets better at lying down, I would love for her to do shy, but she doesn't seem to like to stay in the down position very much.

Waving can be quite tricky. For instance, sometimes Elbie will get 'beg' mixed up with wave.

Keeping Elbie in a drop in a position was also difficult in the beginning. I think we kept a treat in our fist and kept that on the ground.

A warning - 'shy' took quite a while to learn. Partly because the sticky tape kept falling off. I can't wait to see Genevieve doing it because it will be very adorable. Sorry for such a short reply - have one arm in a sling post CTS-surgery

Your poor arm!!!! You must be a bit tender! I hope it is feeling better soon!

Hearing that Elbie took a while to get things makes me feel better! He is my benchmark for G!! At the end of the day, I teach her things to give her something to do and to keep her mind active, not to be a show dog. If she never gets it.... it isn't for the lack of trying! She for the most part is well mannered, and I guess for us that is the most important thing.

She is getting better at staying in the down position, but only if she thinks there is a treat in it for her!

It is a shame we don't live closer together! Elbie and Genevieve could teach each other new things!

wizzle, clastic + mm: Thanks very much for your well wishes. It's actually not as painful as I heard that it might be-there just very inconvenient. My OH is doing all the housework and dog duties right now - we normally share them. Typing with my left hand is really tedious and speech recognition software is incredibly frustrating say the least - so many crazy mis-recognised words :dancingelephant:

aziah: I have found that it is almost impossible to get consensus among even the dog experts on DOL about what is safe and not safe.

• Chicken wings, chicken necks and chicken frames: some say these are great and some say they are a choking hazard
  • Chicken eggs: some say these are to be avoided at all costs because raw eggs contain an enzyme that decreases the absorption of a B vitamin but others give them to their dogs every day and say that it leads to a shiny coat
  • Apple: some people say these can only be given to your dog if you remove the seeds, yet others feed their dogs and a whole apple on a regular basis
  • Tomatoes - some say yes, some say no ....
  • Pigs ears - some say they're too fatty and others give them to their dogs regularly
  • Bone marrow: some people say they are fatty and bad for your dog and others say that the marrow is the best part
  • Marrow bones: some people say that these are good because they are too large to be a choking hazard, the others say that they are bad because they are too hard and can wear down your dog"s teeth
  • Lamb flaps: some people say that these are very good for your dog others say that they are too fatty and are also a choking hazard
  • Some people swear by bones and claim that they are good for a dog's teeth and general health. Others have horror stories to recount about who dogs who died after eating bones.
  • Rawhide bones are considered no-nos by some people but are totally fine to others so long as given under supervision. Some people even say that kongs and rope chew toys can also be a choking hazard.

Then there are others that say that a dog is a dog is a dog and that in the old days, dogs were just fed table scraps.

All of the above can be pretty confusing for the new dog owner. The position that my OH and I have taken is that we will let Elbie have things up that he might enjoy but that we will also supervise him

Edited by koalathebear

KTB:

aziah: I have found that it is almost impossible to get consensus among even the dog experts on DOL about what is safe and not safe.

You'll rarely achieve consenus on anything here. :crossfingers: What's 'right' for one dog and owner may not be 'right' for others or all. Sometimes trial and error in the only way to find out. :rasberry:

p,

It can be almost impossible for a newb here to differentiate between the opinions of novice dog owners who've raised one pup and those who speak from a range of experiences. Advice that sounds authoratative may not be. When you can sort the wheat from the chaff, you'll probably be able to sort out what advice you should be listening to.

Those who argue for the "old ways" of dog raising might like to reflect on the life spans dogs achieved in those days and the frequent occurence of rickets in pups - a condition rarely seen these days thank God.

Edited by poodlefan