Goldie And Tennis Ball

Snowball

My golden retriever got a tennis ball from somewhere, and she loves it. carries it around, throws it and chases it etc... but is it safe? I worry it could somehow get stuck in her throat? or break up? any thoughts?

many thanks

snowball

I've stopped my kids giving our GSP tennis balls because he just breaks them in to little pieces and I am also worried for the same reason. I now give him a ball which is a similar size but made of tough rubber which is hard to chew. he still gets to chase it around, bonus is it squeaks too!

I grew up with my grandparents bearded collie. He LOVED tennis balls & always had a great supply, he did have the habit though of tearing off the green stuff.

They never did him any harm, he lived to be 16, I'm not saying this is the case all the time but let a dog have his fun :laugh:

My goldie can't tear the green stuff off fast enough, and then he chews the rubber into small pieces and eats half of it. He's fine, it just comes out the other end. I don't let him do this any more because it's expensive having to replace tennis balls all the time (although I do find the more expensive tennis balls eg Wilson brand, my dog finds it very hard to tear the green stuff off)

However, I don't recommend anyone let their dog chew and then eat any ball or toy as it's an obvious danger, creating a possible intestinal obstruction.

I have a big dog and the bits he has eaten aren't that big and have always come out the other end OK.

I get the Kong airballs for the kelpie as they squeak and aren't as abrasive as the others - she only gets them when we are out together at the dog park - so she can chase them - the hound is just too big and I worry that he would either swallow one whole or chew it up and swallow the bits.

I purchased a two pack of dog friendly tennis balls from the pet section in coles (of all places!). They are harder than normal tennis balls, designed to last longer and what have you. I use them in stockings - have one suspended from the clothes line (don't worry, we don't ever use it to dry our clothes!), and one that is tied to the dinning room table. She loves them!

Edited by Wizzle

Our Lab likes tennis balls but they only last about 10 minutes, first the cover comes off, then its in pieces,thankfully he doesn't eat them, we dont give him them any more. we bought a few extra big solid rubber ones from N..S pet section, the first one got chewed on but the rubber is a lot softer and he has't eaten any, so now I put them in about three or four mens old socks and tie a knot in the end, and he has fun flinging them around.

lablove

If your concerned about the ball getting stuck, it does happen. A GSD at our dog school got a tennis ball stuck in his neck, could not get it out and by the time they got him to the vet he had died.

If I had a large breed I would be wary after hearing this, but in saying that, it is hard to live your life worrying about every little scenario that can happen.

My Goldie just carries around any tennis balls she finds in the house. She isn't a ball chewer, just a mouther.

If your dog is like her then she should be fine.

Yes, mindy is more of a carrier than a chewer! She always looks so proud with something in her mouth.

I did know one golden that could carry up to 3 tennis balls in his mouth at the same time!

If your dog is ripping them up, then no, it is probably not a good idea to continue to give them.