Help! Bee Sting!

My Pug has just attempted eating a bee! I have removed the stinger from the fulcrum of her top lip and hse appears absolutely fine now (approx. 5 mins) I have been trying to call all the local vets in the area to find out if we should do anything else?

I am concerned re: swelling obviously as she is a pug and has probably been stung on her muzzle?

Does anyone know the dosage of antihistamine that I can give her? I have 25mg here at home.

Thanks yes I did find a recipe....for it. Also finally got in contact with our vet who gave us the dosage for antihistamine. She is fine though......as soon as the sting was out she was absolutely fine. Little Terror.

I know I might be a bit late in replying to this, but I have just looked this up in a few of my books I have on dog first aid.

Basically, you did the correct thing in removing the sting. It suggests to put antihistamine cream on it. Dogs are rarely allergic and generally only need to worry if they are bitten by several at once. They will go into shock pretty quickly if they are indeed allergic. If this should happen, treat for shock (keep warm, ensure airways are open) and get VET attention ASAP as adrenaline and antihistamine shots will need to be administered.

Thanks Wizzle and Rommi N Lewis: certainly one way to feel very silly in deed with this!

It was right in her top lip under her nose, and being a pug I was worried about swelling in that area!

I couldn't believe she was fine once the sting was removed - she's currently trying to barge the lap top off my lap and replace it with herself of course :hug:

It is much better to be safe than sorry with bee stings that is for sure.

I was also alerted to the Whippet stings because they were yelling their heads off, so pulled the sting out and gave them a Claratyne straight away.. The old Stafford just had a very fat ear - I though haematoma until I looked more closely and saw a sting which I pulled out, than gave him a Claratyne as well. I am allergic to bee's so shortly thereafter the bee's were removed after they decided to settle in a guinea pig house right near the back door. Lucky no piggies were resident at the time.