Home Alone

cornell

Hi Cornell

It sounds like you've figured out what works best for you, but I also recommend limiting the amount of free reign that they have - i.e. backyard, or backyard + laundry, or only two rooms of the house etc.

I'm sure you've checked all areas for anything that could be hazardous - it's surprising just what these animals will find to get into!

Hope it goes smoothly and that you don't come home to any nasty surprises! :eek:

I have always left my dogs indoors while I'm out from a very young age and have had few problems,none serious.

It was little trouble for us to puppy proof an already child proofed home.

They had a couple of toys only that were saved for those times,older dogs for company,water and their own beds.It was treated as no big deal and the dogs did not see it as a big deal either.

If you can feel confident you know your dogs and their reactions when you are out,it can be done.You will slip up.We took only calculated risks so slip ups were very minor.A chewed electric cord,(Unplugged)a novel and one of them had a party with chips and apricots.Any chewed up bedding was their own and shoes etc were just not in reach.Thats for upwards of 14 dogs in the last 30 years,so its not just 'we were lucky'.

We have never had a problem with toileting indoors for any longer than 5 weeks after getting a pup,but the odd wizz in the doorway when we return lasts longer.

If you know your dogs and take care to manage and forsee problems,it can be done.Theres not much room for error,but you are the best judge of how practical it is for you.

We left our 7 year rottie alone in the back yard for a day while we spend Christmas day with our family ... he relocated about a cubic metre of dirt from the garden bed into the swimming pool ... while he tried to tunnel into the garage. :laugh:

It took us about a month to get all the dirt out of the pool.

It is amazing what they can find to amuse themselves with when you are not around :thumbsup:

post-21566-1280219679_thumb.jpg

I was naive enough to think that even though I moved all of my items to the back of the vanity (her shampoo etcetc) and put the loo lid down so she couldnt fall in, never did it occur to me that a 14 week old border collie would jump on the loo and climb on top of the vanity!!! Of course now when I go to work everything and I mean everything is in the cupboard and she is left with water and a few toys, all good???? LOL nope I was greeted today by said puppy at the front door, we now climb over our baby gate and had free reign in the house no damage to report though :-) For now she will still remain in house when I am not home as I also have a GSD who is just a little too big for her to be outside unsupervised.

Lots of good advice you will find something that works for you :-)

ETS in house but confined somehow, just need to figure out how lol

Edited by PooMother