New Puppy With Small Children? Am I Asking For Trouble?

vernie

Hi Guys,

Just a quick Question...

We have an 18 month old little girl who has always been around dogs.

Our 7 year old Lab died recently and we are now considering getting a lab puppy.

Are we crazy for getting a puppy when our daughter is still so young?

i just feel that if we don't do it now, we will be waiting a few more years when we have finished having our family and i will miss having another furry friend around :laugh:

HI

It can be done , but is a lot of hard work as you need to spend a lot of time with both the babies and often they will need you at the same time .

Crate training will be your friend here as well ,

If you are thinking of adding more human babies in the near future it might be worth the wait as a young child pregnant mum and bouncy young lab might be an awful lot to cope with day in and day out , no one wants their puppy to be the reason they are curled up in a corner in tears after all .

A lot of careful thought would be in order here I managed ok with raising a rottie baby with my 12 month old daughter many years ago but I am a routine person and very much no nonsense when it comes to kids and pups , however I did find that they would then get into trouble together what could be better for a greedy pup than being fed the hated veggies over the side of the high chair when self feeding , puppy crying also is a good one for waking little ones as well so you have crying puppy and tired crying child , one of the things that can make you curl up in a corner if it goes on for too long

Wish you all the best with your choice if you feel you are up to the challenge then by all means give it a go , if you think there is any possibility that it will not work then there is no harm and a lot of good in waiting a little while , more often than not you have to wait for the right pup anyway

I've done it and it's hell. :rolleyes:

Would you consider an older Lab from a breeder? I suggest a breeder so that you know the dogs history and can search for one who has been raised with kids.

I'm so sorry to hear about your lab. What a huge loss. :laugh:

I would love to say go for it but the reality is that training a puppy is very intense. We are trying to deal with the nipping and jumping issues at the moment and we are fully grown adults.

Please be aware that even a well behaved pup will try to constantly nip a child in play with it's sharp teeth at the most inconvenient moments.

The pup will also jump on the children in excitement. This will be an even bigger issue as the pup grows.

Having toys around is another issue and could cause a choking hazard to your pup.

Also think carefully about your assertive and frustrated vibes that your children will be exposed to as you try to train your pup.

I'm afraid that this is how lots of dogs end up being left out in the yard alone to develop destructive habits.

Please tread carefully and be careful what you wish for.

Sorry but you did ask and honesty is the best policy.

You and only you can really make the decision. This is from someone who replaced her dogs that died when her youngest child was 6 months old, my second child was just 2 and the third was 4. But in saying this all my previous dogs had done competition obedience 2 having achieved UD titles.

Also I tended in those days to be fairly organised, not like now days :laugh:. It tends to depend on you as an individual and how much you feel you need the dog and how you will cope.

Sorry you lost your dog :laugh:

My view is that all children should be brought up with dogs as long as they have not got stupid parents.

A stupid parent includes ones that know they would have trouble coping with a young child & a dog. If someone doubts they could cope they are wise to acknowledge this & wait. It is not for everyone.

If you feel able to cope & can understand the boundries that have to be in place I don't think age of child matters at all.

Breed of dog does. A toy breed or dominant breed is obviously unsuitable but I can't see any reason why a Lab would not suit at all. Ideal family dog so as long as you are confident you can train & control the dog & teach your child to behave & respect the rules I think its lovely for them to grow up together.

I was brought up with dogs from being a baby & so were my children. We all knew & obeyed the rules.

thanks for the advice guys!!

i actually posted this in another section somewhere.

the thing is, we thought it would be best to get a pup now whilst our bubba is 18 months and by time we have the next bubba, puppy will be somewhat trained.

otherwise we wait till we have all our 2 legged children and then wait till the youngest is about 5, but that might mean 5 years without another dog!!! and we can't wait that long!

so off we go tomorrow to collect our new little furry friend! :cry:

I don't have any kids yet myself, but I would have no problem bringing young children up with a puppy. In fact, if I didn't have dogs at the time, I would probably prefer to get a puppy while my kids were still very young. I have grown up with dogs from the moment I was born and my parents never had any issues.

Congratulations Vernie on your new addition!!

You must be a true dog lover if you are willing to take on young children and a pup. :happydance2:

I understand your need completely, furkids offer you a very special relationship indeed if you are willing to put the time in. As most people have looking after puppy is A LOT of hard work (just like real kids) May he return the favour by being a loyal companion and create many happy memories with you and your children in the long run.

We wish you all the very best of luck and we look forward to seeing photos of your adorable fur baby!!!!!

I don't have children just yet either (working on it!), but I wanted to get a puppy so that she could grow up with our children. I think it is important for kids to have a pet... it is often the first 'person' they really love and trust and often the first 'person' they have to say good bye to. I would rather my kids lose a pet and have to learn the realities of grief the first time through a pet, rather than a family member or close friend. I believe dogs teach us valuable life lessons.

I hope your new addition brings you hours of joy and happiness and may your new fury friend be the best friend your children ever have! :laugh:

well we had our first night!!

bubba slept through puppies crying and i lay there awake, wondering who would wake up next :laugh:

actually, Bundy was pretty good - he cried all the way home from the breeders and for about 20 mins at 2am