Vet Advice On The Gold Coast

Guest chillinamos

Guest choice_brandy

Having moved to the Gold Coast just a couple of months ago I have no idea how to find a good vet. Previously I always went to Clayfield Vet and they were awesome, but it's a bit far to travel from where I am. I used the vets at Helensvale recently to desex a couple of cats I somehow acquired and they were fine for that... however I feel that with my dog Chilli, my concerns are being fobbed off a little and was wondering who people down this way would recommend.

At the moment Chilli is losing hair and a month ago when the vet saw her he did a skin scraping and ruled out mites, but offered no other answer. It's getting worse now, I have a thread somewhere on here about it with pictures... but I feel the trial and error way of trying to find the cause is not in Chilli's best interest.

Just as an update on her condition, I have changed the dry portion of her diet to Holistic Select Anchovy Sardine and Salmon (was Supercoat as recommended by her breeder) plus she gets her usual assortment of chicken frames, lamb bones, fresh mince and a couple of eggs a week. She was treated with Revolution in case the mites are present and not visible but there has been no itchiness at all until today... she is not scratching manically or anything but she's a bit itchy, I gave her a bath in Maleseb ad now she's curled up snoring but I called the vet to update on the itching and he said not to be too concerned??? :confused:

Anyway, back to the original question.... who can you guys recommend down this way who will help get to the bottom of the problem and give Chilli her modesty back

Guest choice_brandy

Thanks everyone... I will make sure I go to Animal Options in the future if we have further issues.

I bit the bullet this morning and went back to Brissy to see our usual vet and finally got some answers. Vet believes that it's not Chilli's skin at all that is the problem, she has very soft skin and her coat is rubbing out not falling out. The coat problem is more than likely a result of an intolerance to the fillers in Supercoat and he has suggested I not feed it at all from now as there is a lot of new growth coming through and we want to try to avoid it getting rubbed out. She has a lambs wool lined coat now for the really cold nights but she sleeps indoors anyway so it wont be necessary to wear every night. Also I purchased a small bag of Holistic Select last week and when I tried to get a bigger one I am being told that there is a supply problem :confused:

My vet suggested Nutrience as a good alternative particularly as it doesn't have wheat. I got a big bag of that and will wean her over to that now. The Holistic Select is fantastic as training treats as Chilli loves it so the remainder will certainly be used.

Amazing how 2 vets can be so different. Chilli has an appointment in 2 weeks to monitor her hair growth but vet is pretty certain that's our problem.

On another positive note... since reducing the Supercoat... Chilli's world famous farts have vanished :confused:

There is a vet in Pimpama (unsure of the name) that I hear people raving about. Never been myself as I am content with my Vet in Beenleigh but it wouldn't hurt to do some research on that. I go to Anvet in Beenleigh and I am happy with the service.

I love my vet his name is Chris and he is at

Labrador Vet clinic

(Michael Silver (B.V.Sc)) Michael is the owner and is much better with cats

Chris is great with my four dogs

1 Clayton St (Cnr of Musgrave Ave)

Chirn Park QLD 4215

07) 5591 2255