Problem Resolved Thanks

cbgirl

I just wouldn't risk it. I'd find a different breeder with a healthier litter.

Weepy eyes and tear stains are a bitch to maintain too, that alone would put me off. You will have a dog for it's lifetime you want it to be sound and not go forward with something which doesn't sit right for you.

You should be feeling confident about every aspect of your breeder and it's clear you aren't.

Best of luck (and Welcome :rofl: ).

Hi

If you have any doubts about puppys health then suggest that you look at another litter , or have your chosen vet examine the pup before you take him .

You can state that you do not want the weaker pup to the breeder it is up to them what they wish to sell you but it is also up to you as to what you want to buy.

If they are planning another litter in the near future that you like perhaps request to go on the list for the subsequent litter ?

You always have the right to start again with another breeder if you feel after dealing with this one for a while that they are not what you were looking for

" I for me personaly I would not take the pup with these misgivings "

Good luck

Hello, welcome!

If you are in doubt about this breeder, walk away. Go to another breeder.

Too much health issue with this litter and it sounds like it's going to have future health problems too.

Looking after a sick puppy is not only financially draining but also emotionally draining also,

I agree with Schmoo's boss... with all these problems, I wouldn't get one of the pups.

Edited by CW EW

Wow.. I'd definitely be steering clear. Will you lose your deposit if you back out now? Perhaps you could wait for another litter from the same breeder and hope they are healthier and maybe she would let you use the deposit for that puppy.

This person sounds a bit dodgy imo.

The pups don't sound well at all, and the smaller fragile one probably should not go to a home until it as a bit stronger and the eye problems clear up (if they ever do).

Some breeders do like to pick pups for future owners, but they will have asked lots of questions and really gotten to know the people well whihc it sounds like this breeder hasn't done.

I would be happy to take a breeders recommendation if they had gotten to know me quite well, but for them to say "you have to have this one" without consulting me sort of rings alarm bells.

I

Is the thing under his eyes eyestaining?

If your gut is warning you off listen to it.

If you decide to proceed, ask the breeder for a written health guarantee and take out pet insurance. Take your pup directly to your own vet (NOT the breeder's) for an independent health assessment.

Things can and do go wrong with litters but not every pup is necessarily going to be adversely affected. The smallest pups at 8 weeks often don't stay that way either.

Hi - welcome :( You have now learnt about the other side of breeding - when things go bad :rofl: I would suggest you find yourself a puppy who has had a terrific start in life ;) If you are questioning it now- then now is the time to walk away.

if puppy has eye problems now- he may well have them forever - and either need corrective surgery, or daily maintenance .

have you had a look at the breeders pages on DOL? perhaps there is a litter there that takes your fancy?

I wouldn't be tempted to take a pup from this litter - but I am not you :)

Hopefully you make the right decision for YOU - you owe this breeder nothing .

I really think you'd be better off walking away regardless of what your husband thinks...too many concerns, remember if you take this puppy home, it could have on-going problems and be an on-going worry and expense for you.

You want to bring a happy, healthy, lively, vibrant puppy into your home, not one that you've been concerned about health-wise for quite some time.

Even if you have to walk away and don't get your deposit back, that small amount of $ in the scheme of things could save you lots of heartache down the track.

;) JMHO

Edited by Aziah

CG:

Im concerned because we have put a deposit down that we would lose it if we were to pull out so late

Trust me, sometimes that deposit turns out to be a very cheap lesson learned. There is no way in hell I'd take on a pup rather than forfeit a deposit and frankly I"m not sure the breeder has the legal right to keep it.

Edited by poodlefan

CG:
Im concerned because we have put a deposit down that we would lose it if we were to pull out so late

Trust me, sometimes that deposit turns out to be a very cheap lesson learned. There is no way in hell I'd take on a pup rather than forfeit a deposit and frankly I"m not sure the breeder has the legal right to keep it.

I was going to say that.

You lose a few hundred on deposit... it will save you thousands on medical bills in the future.

You and your husband aren't going to enjoy owning that puppy if it, at the end, have health issues.

Edited by CW EW

tell husband to stop seeing 'cute' and to look at the practicality of possibly having a dog who needs health management /treatment - for the next 12 years or so.

best of luck with it all

;)

perhaps suggest to husband that if he were looking at cars ( I know... dogs ain't cars) :p If he were looking at cars- and saw one which he liked the look of - then he had a closer look, and found it needed a new transmission, and the rear axle was bent ,just enough to be a problem ....and there was a constant, small oil leak ...

Would he still take it?

HI Just noticed a refferance to Canine Herpies being possible , I would forfit deposit now go to fair trading should you wish to sue for it .

Most breeders screen their dogs for this before mating , some will not allow their dog over a bitch that proves positive not a good outcome I am told

Have a chat to a vet you trust or that is known to friends of yours that you can trust ( not the breeders vet ), give them the history of the litter and see what they think is the best move

Have Hubby in on the conversation as well

If puppy has bad eye infection / Weeping appears confused it can mean partial or complete blindness , this is just a start of what you might be facing , better not to take a pup