What Do You Use To Bag Meat?

Ravyk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The freezer bags leak when defrosting - so we put them in another container for defrosting in the fridge to contain the mess. That container could have a lid put on it if needed.

We have found that if we take the next night's food out at the same time as we feed, it is usually still pretty icy and un-leaky at the same time the next night. So it is taken out and fed partly fozen - not a great deal of mess at all. And partly frozen slows down the consumption rate. :laugh:

We have a Vac-sealer but the particular one we get, the bags work out to something like $1 a bag! Ours unfortunately doesn't take the rolls.

I'll have to keep my eye out for the double zip bags.

Vacuum/cryvac sealer. If you can, find one that will take generic bags and you can buy packs of 1000 food grade at wholesalers for just a few dollars. Some makes you have to buy their bags (usually the ones that have dimples on one side) as others dont work so gets a bit expensive. Found my last one at a garage sale for $10.Worth it for ease of storage and no blood on defrost. Added bonus that food keeps much better in them too. :)

Also I use Lock & Lock plastic containers, they never leak. We often camp out and cant keep the dog food seperate from the human food and drinks, they are the best I have found. If you buy them in a pack they work out pretty reasonable around $4-6 each, dishwasher, freezer and microwave safe, and stack really well.

I have only recently used the zip lock bags for two days worth of meat. I will take it out in the morning put something underneath it, like a plate or another plastic bag and then it should be ready for dinner. If I forget I defrost it. If I leave it for to long in the microwave it will cook thats why I defrost it to the point where it is still a little frozen. They still eat it without a problem.

Edited by ♥JJ

I had Luuka's meat defrosting in a plastic bag the other day, normally I have it in a container by itself, and the blood ran down the back of the fridge and into dad's veges :laugh: He didn't really care but did point it gently out to me. So I am buying a little bar fridge and freezer to keep on the veranda for her food :D That's my solution!

Tupperware have these, I want them one day :laugh:

Tupperware dont make Freezer Mates in Australia any more. Sorry you are all out of luck but I think some people sell them still on ebay from overseas.

i had a tupperware party last month and they got new freezer containers they have an ice flake pattern on them

I had Luuka's meat defrosting in a plastic bag the other day, normally I have it in a container by itself, and the blood ran down the back of the fridge and into dad's veges ;) He didn't really care but did point it gently out to me. So I am buying a little bar fridge and freezer to keep on the veranda for her food :laugh: That's my solution!

;)

Does your Dad care about the electricity bill?

Hint:

Making sure it is in a container woudl be alot cheaper. :laugh: