Looking For Reliable Pet Sitter?

PoppyDog

Hi,

We are looking for a reliable pet sitter for our 8 month old CKCS X.

I would like the type of care that involves our puppy staying with you in your house and yard.

I don't want to use a kennel because I do want her to have as much human contact as possible when we are away.

We are located in Ipswich but would be happy to travel to drop off as we will be flying from Brisbane Airport so will be travelling that way.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

I would re consider using a boarding kennel. :thumbsup:

The boarding kennel situation would give greater contact with people than a back yard/home situation.

Kennel staff coming and going, kennel inspections.

I found it more interesting for the dog than being in a back yard/home situation.

I would re consider using a boarding kennel. :thumbsup:

The boarding kennel situation would give greater contact with people than a back yard/home situation.

Kennel staff coming and going, kennel inspections.

I found it more interesting for the dog than being in a back yard/home situation.

Really?

I find that hard to believe. I think that in a home environment with only one or two other dogs our puppy is more likely to get more one on one time than in a kennel situation. Just because there are going to be more dogs and less humans in a kennel.

I have inspected a local kennel that was reccomended to me by our vet and some members here but I'm just not comfortable leaving our dog there. I just think the noise and the concrete and the whole environment would completely freak her out. :laugh:

Having worked in the industry for more years than I care to mention, yes I think they get far more attention than most believe they do. :thumbsup:

You have people coming and going all day every day. Dogs coming in and dogs going home. Staff collecting dog for bathing that are due to go home.

Dogs being taken in and out for exercise/play time.

Some dogs being attended to for various reasons.

In a well run kennel there are things going on all the time.

Yea I agree, I wouldn't be keen to put my girl in a kennel either just because I personally don't think she would get enough attention and the loud environment would stress her out, she is a big baby hehe

I worked at a kennel that I left as dogs were not attended to during the day, the only time they had alot of interaction was in the morning during feeding and cleaning then left for the remainder of the day until dinner time feeding.

As Oakway said though, in a well run kennel there will be things going on all day. Just make sure you inspect anywhere you are considering :thumbsup:

Thanks OakWay. The kennel I inspected was great. And I could tell the couple who owned and ran it were very passionate about their business and the dogs. But like Sky_Mel I think that all the noise and activity would add to the stress for our dog. She is also a big baby!!! :thumbsup:

Sky_Mel - Our doggy is like that too! A big sook. The first time we left her she got so stressed and anxious that she ended up with vomiting and the runs, wouldn't eat and we had to take her to the vet. She has been sat since then and has been fine but I think a kennel environment would just not sit well with her. :laugh:

Yes, well run kennels are busy places.

Well run and appointed kennels are just so busy because they are well known for the care they give the dogs and cat's for that matter.

The busier the kennel the better the quality.

You will of course always have "some" quiet times .

But, I found that the quiet times were also busy for gardening/mowing weeding replacing items.

Quality kennels are busy kennels.

We even had the cloths line where the dogs could see you and believe you me that line was well used on a daily basis many times a day. :thumbsup:

Thanks OakWay. The kennel I inspected was great. And I could tell the couple who owned and ran it were very passionate about their business and the dogs. But like Sky_Mel I think that all the noise and activity would add to the stress for our dog. She is also a big baby!!! :thumbsup:

Sky_Mel - Our doggy is like that too! A big sook. The first time we left her she got so stressed and anxious that she ended up with vomiting and the runs, wouldn't eat and we had to take her to the vet. She has been sat since then and has been fine but I think a kennel environment would just not sit well with her. :laugh:

I have every sympathy for you in this situation.

May I ask why the kennel did not attend to your dogs needs and left you to do this.

I think you may find that CLASS kennels would never have allowed your dog to get to this state in the first place.

May I ask why the kennel did not attend to your dogs needs and left you to do this.

I think you may find that CLASS kennels would never have allowed your dog to get to this state in the first place.

It wasn't actually a kennel. It was a pet sitter. Poppy was only 14 weeks old though and I think that had a lot to do with her reaction. Which probably makes you wander why I want to go that way again. But the 2nd and 3rd time she stayed there she was fine and a lot older than her first time. And on the 4th time something happened that made me really incomfortable.

I don't know, maybe its me thats the baby and maybe I should give the kennel a go. I just worry that she will react like she did the first time we left her and I will be interstate so it will be hard for me to rush back. Last time we were only an hour or so away.

aww When my girl was last in Doggy Day Care I was told she spent the whole time with the animal careers rather than the other dogs LOL She also mastered a way to get into their kitchen area haha

She is definitely a people dog and needs to be around people as much as possible, not that she doesn't like other dogs she just gravitates to people alot more :laugh:

Sky_Mel - Our doggy is like that too! A big sook. The first time we left her she got so stressed and anxious that she ended up with vomiting and the runs, wouldn't eat and we had to take her to the vet. She has been sat since then and has been fine but I think a kennel environment would just not sit well with her. :cheer:

It wasn't actually a kennel. It was a pet sitter. Poppy was only 14 weeks old though and I think that had a lot to do with her reaction. Which probably makes you wander why I want to go that way again. But the 2nd and 3rd time she stayed there she was fine and a lot older than her first time. And on the 4th time something happened that made me really incomfortable.

I don't know, maybe its me thats the baby and maybe I should give the kennel a go. I just worry that she will react like she did the first time we left her and I will be interstate so it will be hard for me to rush back. Last time we were only an hour or so away.

You do what you think is best for you and your dog. :cheer: You know your dog best.

Hi,

I would like the type of care that involves our puppy staying with you in your house and yard.

I don't want to use a kennel because I do want her to have as much human contact as possible when we are away.

We are located in Ipswich but would be happy to travel to drop off as we will be flying from Brisbane Airport so will be travelling that way.

I recommend a kennel too.

Kennels are designed to keep dogs safely enclosed, and kennel staff are paid to interact with the dogs.

There is no way I would trust some random in Ipswich to keep my dog in their yard. It could so easily get stolen, or attacked by neighbour's dogs, or eat poisonous plants or try to escape to find me or anything.

Hi,

Kennels are designed to keep dogs safely enclosed, and kennel staff are paid to interact with the dogs.

There is no way I would trust some random in Ipswich to keep my dog in their yard. It could so easily get stolen, or attacked by neighbour's dogs, or eat poisonous plants or try to escape to find me or anything.

Okay, you've convinced me to give a kennel a go. The one I inspected is one you reccomended to me and one my vet reccomended and I did truly like the lady who showed me around. I think that if Poppy likes it and does well it will make having to have her cared for less stressful because like you say they are professional and I know she will be safe and well looked after! I just hope she copes okay!.

Hi,

Okay, you've convinced me to give a kennel a go. The one I inspected is one you reccomended to me and one my vet reccomended and I did truly like the lady who showed me around. I think that if Poppy likes it and does well it will make having to have her cared for less stressful because like you say they are professional and I know she will be safe and well looked after! I just hope she copes okay!.

To make it easier all round may I suggest that you do a trial.

Why not put the dog in the kennel for one day only once a week to start and as the dog becomes accustomed to the kennel two day's a week and so on.

PD, I wouldn't let our 2 tibbie girls go to a standard kennel either. Fortunately, we have a mutual deal with the neighbours who also own a tibbie, so we look after each others dogs.

But if that were never possible, for some reason (like we were away at the same time), the only kennels I'd send my tibbie girls to, is the Samford Pet Resort where they have one special option where the dogs have a room like a room in a home (even has a TV set!). I know of some other people who send their tibbies there for that option & are very happy with it. This 'home' room service costs a bit more, but it's worth it IMO for little housedogs like our tibs. They'd be so less stressed in accommodation which is like their own home.

The Samford Pet Resort also has a pick-up service which operates from quite a number of vet clinics across the Brisbane area. So owners don't even have to drive to Samford, just to the nearest pick-up place.

I used to own a Dont Fret Pet franchise and there are quite a few companies now offering this type of service where they match up a home minder for you after asking heaps of questions. The more honest you answer the questions the better chance of finding the exact right minder.

I have never used a kennel and one of my girls is now 13 years old and we have relied on friends, relatives, Dont Fret Pet minders and housesitters and we have never had a problem. I know my dog and I know that she would totally freak in a kennel with all that noise and no human interaction plus she is so anal about going to the toilet that no way would she go on concrete. That is one of the main reasons we have never used a kennel. One place I spoke to said they only get out of their concrete cage for 30 mins a day. My girl likes to sunbake when she feels like it and snooze on her comfy pillow bed when she feels like it. Some kennels wont put bedding in with the dogs during the day because they say that it gets ripped up. I also have a fussy eater who only eats certain foods and is always too skinny and some kennels we enquired about said that they would only feed their food and we couldnt supply our own.

I dont think anyone should be thought badly of if they choose to use other options rather than kennels. An accident can happen in a kennel just as much as a family home.

Goodness gracious me where are some of you boarding your dogs. :(

A Kennel that doesn't feed your requirements or allow you to provide your own!!!!!!

A kennel that does not provide medication for the animals it cares for, what about the dogs that require insulin and other specific medication.

No bedding you have to be joking. What about the geriatric dogs that must kept of the cold floors. Don't the kennels you use provide supportive geriatric matting for the old dogs.

If your dog is not getting good 5 star service look for another kennel. All that applies to cats to.

I suppose that you will tell me next that where you board your cats they don't have air conditioning for summer nor do they provide warmth for the winter.