Proposed Vic Dog Laws In The Upper House

sumosmum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just don't get it do they?

unidentifiable (no collar or chip moved)

unregistered (no collar)

angry angry angry

OT, but would a dog who is tattooed (ear tattoo with breeder prefex/no.) be considered "unidentifiable"?

Or what about a dog who has the M (microchip) tattoo, but a quick scan fails to find the chip?

Collars come off and chips move, but perhaps a tattoo is a more reliable form of ID?

eta, by reliable I mean harder to dispute that the dog was "unable to be indentified" if that makes sense

Edited by SecretKei

yes, secretkei i think that a tattoo would be deemed 'unidentifiable' because you have to actually know how to read it. they may just assume it means the animal is desexed and nothing more- and that is has no identifying capabilities.

after all, we aren't dealing with rhode scholars here, are we?

Ridiculous :laugh: If the councils are to be given the power to make the decisions, they should at the very least be required to have the basic knowledge to do so.

Being able to read a tattoo and identify it's meaning (or simply register in their brain that the tattoo actually means SOMETHING) is a very BASIC thing :laugh:

And how do you identify whether or not an animal is registered or no by simply looking at it?

Glad I don't live in Vic any more :)

Glad I don't live in VIC, I'd be somewhere with a shot gun. :laugh: I feel so sorry for those in VIC who have to deal with this.

I cannot believe they can do this and what's the bet some other states might follow after this is that possible?

I just cannot stand politics and how they have the right to all these decisions. What's worse it to not even let the public know about it??

I don't understand what brought all this on??

Glad I don't live in VIC, I'd be somewhere with a shot gun. :) I feel so sorry for those in VIC who have to deal with this.

I cannot believe they can do this and what's the bet some other states might follow after this is that possible?

I just cannot stand politics and how they have the right to all these decisions. What's worse it to not even let the public know about it??

I don't understand what brought all this on??

Irresponsible owners and the media brought this on. In the research brief behind the actual law, they used media reports to back up their research. Just goes to show how damaging it is. Also, when they report a pit bull as attacking someone or something, a lot of the time the media gets the breed wrong. This has just strengthened BSL. I also think the sensational way they report it has a lot to do with it. However, the media failed to report the fact that this law was going through the legislative process, therefore a lot of people did not seem to get a chance to object to it. hmmm...

They are now going to use some "standard" to id crossbreed restricted dogs as well. It may be some sort of checklist like the one used in Qld. This standard is mentioned in the Law, and in the research brief, but I can't find exactly what the "standard" actually is that they will be using. Does anyone else know for certain what the "standard" actually is? :laugh:

They, the Premier and his mob, wanted to look like they care about the safety of the community. :laugh: They may care, but they have gone about this the wrong way. Also, Dogs Victoria supported this Bill. The research brief in the attached link shows who was all for this to become a law.

Vic Dog Law Research Brief

There is nothing that can be done about it at the moment. Only thing that people in Victoria can do is to try to be heard with their vote when we have our elections in November. Labour and Liberal both voted for this to be passed. Both thought it was a good idea. The Greens tried to have it amended.

Am I being melodramatic?

IMO, no. Look back to the Judy Gard fiasco. VicDogs said way back (about the law that permitted Judy and her dogs to suffer the unnecessary wrath of the RSPCA) that "it would never happen". I don't think they were around to help Judy out when she faced the RSPCA crew, the RSPCA's TV crew, the seizure of 12 of her healthy and well-cared for dogs, and the affect of the stress of all that (which cannot be erased). In fact, their silence was deafening.

And that law is still in place. The one that first says dogs that are cruelly treated must be observed to be in a state of distress or danger.

But later says 'things' can be taken away & examined for evidence. And, according to this law, 'things' can be dogs or any animals. So, strictly speaking, in Victoria your dog, being a 'thing' can be seized because it's a 'thing'.

In this current debate, go the Greens.

Although the law has been passed, send any stories that you might know (factual) where, in the instance of the new laws would have proved disastrous when they need not be; or stories where incidents have occurred which did not relate to owners being irresponsible and where, under the new laws, could have seen disastrous and/or very unfair consequences; to Sue Pennicuik

Contact Details:

Electorate Office:

206 Bay Street North Brighton 3186.

I spoke with Sue yesterday to thank her for her efforts in the Parliamentary debate against this Bill coming in. Sue confirms that if the Greens were elected in the State Elections on 27th November this year, they would seek to remove these recent laws. Need to be careful though as Green's preferences will go to Labour (who are the ones who brought this Bill and BSL in the first place) - so when voting you'd need to cast it so that the preference doesn't go that way (assuming you didn't want it to, of course).

Sumosmum -

I read the Vic Dog Law Research Brief, so the "attacks" they have referred to from the community, sounds like to me most of them are family pets, not strays except for 1 or so if I can recall that they elaborated on.

Doesn't that say something?

I am just so disgusted, that proves to me in itself these kids getting bitten at home obviously have no supervision or any common sense from their parents, or have given their family dog the necessary training. I know thats an assumption but I am sick and tired of this world making dogs and their breeds out to be the bad ones all the time. We are the ones who took away their natural way of life and domesticated them and now they have to pay for it?

Soon people wont be able to take their dogs anywhere, will all have to be locked up in the yard or in some cage to satisfy the "community" because they will ALL be dangerous to them soon enough.

I know, OTT, they aren't focusing on the real problem.

Although the law has been passed, send any stories that you might know (factual) where, in the instance of the new laws would have proved disastrous when they need not be; or stories where incidents have occurred which did not relate to owners being irresponsible and where, under the new laws, could have seen disastrous and/or very unfair consequences; to Sue Pennicuik

Contact Details:

Electorate Office:

206 Bay Street North Brighton 3186.

I spoke with Sue yesterday to thank her for her efforts in the Parliamentary debate against this Bill coming in. Sue confirms that if the Greens were elected in the State Elections on 27th November this year, they would seek to remove these recent laws. Need to be careful though as Green's preferences will go to Labour (who are the ones who brought this Bill and BSL in the first place) - so when voting you'd need to cast it so that the preference doesn't go that way (assuming you didn't want it to, of course).

Good on you Erny. Glad to hear they will be still trying if they get the votes. Well, they are getting my vote. I will be putting Labour and Liberal down the bottom, the Greens up the top, and the others in the middle.

Adza-baby, I agree. If I remember correctly, I think the Greens or someone mentioned that during the Parliamentary discussions, about most attacks being from a dog within the home or owned by someone known to the person or child that was attacked. The whole argument for the Bill was a load of rubbish really. And it amazes me that there always seems to be so much media when a dog is involved in some drama, however, there was nothing in the media about the Bill going through or the fact that it comes into being on the 1st September. The did get a lot of mail from people objecting to the Bill, but I feel there would have been a lot more, if more people knew it even existed and what was really in it.

:laugh: ..... Is that Sumo?

For the first time in my life, I voted below the line in the Senate - for the only reason that I did not want the parties dictating which way preferences should go. Consequently, it is the first time I've noticed some of the really minor minor parties. Who the heck is the "Australian Sex Party" ???!!! And should I even ask what they stand for??? I asked at the Polling Booth (prepared to be embarrassed), but nobody knew.

Edited by Erny

:laugh: ..... Is that Sumo?

For the first time in my life, I voted below the line in the Senate - for the only reason that I did not want the parties dictating which way preferences should go. Consequently, it is the first time I've noticed some of the really minor minor parties. Who the heck is the "Australian Sex Party" ???!!! And should I even ask what they stand for??? I asked at the Polling Booth (prepared to be embarrassed), but nobody knew.

He looks like a Sumo in that photo doesn't he. :rofl: It isn't a very good photo, it was from my daughters phone. He doesn't look like that really in person/dog. :(

Erny, I know, I was wondering the same thing about all the minor parties. There were loads of them I had never heard of!

:( :( I love the pic sumosmum, very good

My friend told me there was even a party called "Jiggy Jiggy" what the...........?????????

ETA: Only going off what he said but can't find anything on it

Edited by adza_baby

He looks like a Sumo in that photo doesn't he. :) It isn't a very good photo, it was from my daughters phone. He doesn't look like that really in person/dog. :(

Erny, I know, I was wondering the same thing about all the minor parties. There were loads of them I had never heard of!

I think he looks great :p.

And then there were some 'loose' candidates without any party name. Maybe I should nominate Mandela as a Parliamentary Member Candidate next time around, and see what happens, LOL.

My friend told me there was even a party called "Jiggy Jiggy" what the...........?????????

:(. Wouldn't surprise me, AB.

Edited by Erny