Rhodesian Ridgeback And Frisbees

I posted this in Training/Obedience/Dog Sporst but did not recieve a resposne so I thought I would try posting here

Hi

I have a 14 month old male Rhodesain Ridgeback named Rocky. We have taken care not to over exercise or over exert him during his growth period. He gets walked twice daily for half hour each time, and gets off lead time at our local park and beaches every weekend. We have not played any ball or fetch games with Rocky since out vet and dog trainer advised the quick sprints and stops with quick turns would not be ideal for a large breed dog. Rocky is very keen on a good run but we want to stimulate him further and he has a high drive for chasing. I wanted to get an opinion on whether introducing him to frisbee or flying disk at this age would be detrimental. Should I wait until he is at least 2 years when his growth stage is complete, or shoudl I stay away from fly disk altogether?

Regards

Marc (aka RR-Melbourne)

Ball chasing and frisbees aren't the best for joint health in any breed of dog. With balls, there is lots of sudden turning and stopping and with frisbees obviously the impact from leaping in the air is quite hard.

Having said that, in moderation these are great activities and are enjoyable for both dog and owner.

I'm not really sure that I would want a 40kg dog leaping into the air, in my experience breeds that are lighter and more agile are better suited to this activity but in the end it is really for you to decide whether you think your dog could handle it.

As a recreational game I'm sure all would be fine as most dogs won't leap that high off the ground anyway, but if you're talking about competitions then they are dominated by smaller, lighter dogs.

I would wait until his growth plates are closed though before you start this activity.

ETA- I'm not a ridgie expert, so perhaps head over to the ridgeback forum, they might be able to help you better :laugh:

Edited by aussielover

As a sport I'd be waiting until he is a little older - 18 months at the very least. As a recreational thing I should think he would be okay to chase a frisbee every now and then if you're not overdoing it.

A canine chiropractor could give you better advice on this and I think the every dog differs :)

I'm not really sure that I would want a 40kg dog leaping into the air

Why not? Jumping Ridgies are great fun :love:

Thank you for your respones.

I had considered Lure Coursing but though it was high risk since our pet insurance plan explicitly will not cover any injuries sustained or ongoing therapy, if participating in Lure Coursing.

Again thank you all you have been a great help.

Marc (aka RR-Melbourne)