Gulping

My stafford boy has been a gulper since about 8 weeks old.

I'm starting to have problems with what I can feed him as we have had a few instances of near-choking.

To date he has raw and dry combined, but I have to feed the chicken wing pieces (wings cut at the joints and sometimes necks) one piece at a time, and he hardly ever chews! :love:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would chicken frames slow him down perhaps??

Cheers

Staffordgal

Hi there,

Larger chunky pieces will make him chew slower and also work his muscles, gums and teeth better.

Chicken frames, marylands, meaty chunk of lamb, beef and roo tails are great.

My cattle dogs are the same, necks are hoovered like spaghetti and even small wings are not safe from being swallowed whole. Supervision regardless of the meal is important.

Cheers

S

the frames do slow them down a bit as they HAVE to chew , also Whole lamb neck is good as they must chew it , and pork hocks these make an entire meal for our staff x and the rottie has to slow down to eat them as well , if you want to feed poultry try turkey wings and drumsticks as these are larger , if he is bolting the wings you might want to stop feeding them to reduce the chance of choking

Our 8 month old CKCS X is also a gulper!

We have done the following things in the past...

Soaked her dry food so it swells causing her to eat it slower. Soaked it and then frozen it making her CHEW.

When we feed her raw minced chicken carcesses we also freeze that. Chicken necks are frozen. Even her bones are frozen and given to her that way. She doesn't mind and she chew chew chews! :rofl:

I have taken to putting Genevieve's kibble in a drink bottle and it takes her ages to get it out and eat it! The first time I did it she barked at it out of frustration, but now she just rolls it around for a while and knocks out a few pieces at a time. It is also a good way to wear her out at night before bed! :o

Thankyou to each of you for all your ideas, it has certainly given me some new things to try with him.

His main issue is with meat, his kibble isn't a problem, he eats this normally. But with meat or bones, it's as if he's scared that someone esle will take it! Even though I split both he and his mum up at mealtimes, he insists on gulping and swallowing things whole so that it isn't stolen!! :rofl:

Thanks again, will hopefully find something listed to help slow him down a bit!

Cheers

Staffordgal

I have taken to putting Genevieve's kibble in a drink bottle and it takes her ages to get it out and eat it! The first time I did it she barked at it out of frustration, but now she just rolls it around for a while and knocks out a few pieces at a time. It is also a good way to wear her out at night before bed! :rofl:

This is the BEST idea! Do you use just an old coke/mineral water bottle with the label removed?

Will have to try this with Poppy!

I have taken to putting Genevieve's kibble in a drink bottle and it takes her ages to get it out and eat it! The first time I did it she barked at it out of frustration, but now she just rolls it around for a while and knocks out a few pieces at a time. It is also a good way to wear her out at night before bed! :rofl:

This is the BEST idea! Do you use just an old coke/mineral water bottle with the label removed?

Will have to try this with Poppy!

Yeah, just a 600 ml water bottle, label off of course (otherwise she would eat that too!). The first time I gave it to her you should have seen the look of disgust she gave me!!! And she was chasing it around for nearly two hours (and there was only about 1/4 cup of kibble in there!), barking at it! She has worked out that she can put her paw on the top and it will flip the bottle up and kibble comes out, but she scares herself every time she does it!! ;) I introduced this more for the need to wear her out of an evening, than to slow down her eating, but I think that in itself is a good thing too.