Prong Collar Question

A prong collar has two rings. One is round and one is D shaped.

Not always. Some have/had two round rings (no swivel).

With the 2 round-ringed type, you always use the ring that is on the top, ensuring also that the chain runs clean and isn't twisted.

With the swivel type, you attach your lead to the swivel. As above, you still need to ensure that the chain runs clean and isn't twisted - the swivel attachment should be at the top.

swivel is the live ring, round is the dead ring. Attach to the swivel only to make the collar tighten when corrected, attach to both to lessen the impact and prevent tightening (loses martingale effect)

• 2 months later...
decreases the sensation, can be good for dogs that dont need too much or when first introduced at times.

How young can you start using prong collar with a Dogue de Bordeaux? I have seen a lot of DDBs with a check collar but the prong collar may be gentler and more effective with instructions and fitting ...?

depends on why you feel the dog needs it. If you are needing it on a young pup I suggest you take a look at your training method

I guess it's different to a check chain then which I see often on DDB pics which just hangs lose around their necks?

I don't think Tonka needs a prong collar yet (hopefully never) but he definitely needs more training :-)

check chains should be loose. Not hugely so that they hang low but so they sit slack, when the collar is pulled tight (ish, so you can just get a finger under) you should have no more then about 10cm of chain pulled through the ring. Pinch collars need to sit higher on the dogs neck, considering their tightening action is limited if they sit very loose then they do not work or have a risk of opening themselves up.

http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

decreases the sensation, can be good for dogs that dont need too much or when first introduced at times.

How young can you start using prong collar with a Dogue de Bordeaux? I have seen a lot of DDBs with a check collar but the prong collar may be gentler and more effective with instructions and fitting ...?

If you dont think your pup needs a prong but still want an effective training collar perhaps try a martingale http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Martingale-Collars/