Puppy Gets Too Excited When In Public

Magstar

We took Oscar to our local markets yesterday and he got super excited and wanted to say hello to absolutely everyone! He was jumping up while on the lead and whining because he couldnt go and say hello to people. He wasn't interested in treats and wouldn't listen to our commands at all. It was quite embarrassing. There was more people there than he would have seen in one place before.

One guy walked past us and said that our puppy was crazy and needed training. That really really upset me so we didn't stay any longer, instead just went for a short walk around town where it was a bit quieter.

I'm glad that he is friendly and likes people, but how do we stop that excited behaviour?

I've been feeling really down about it. Especially because that guy criticized us.

Would not feel bad , at least your pup is happy to see people not hiding behind you shaking like a leaf .

Good way to get him used to lots of people around but not interested in puppy antics is to take him to a fairly busy rail or bus station and sit him down out of the way close to where all of the people come off . to the local sports ground as well on a day when the clubs are playing

sit him next to you and just stand encourage him to sit , he will get up keep the leash short and let him come to the idea that you are not moving , and most people are ignoring him some might stop for a pat but most do not , keep the distance enough that he is interested but not going nuts

this is how we get our dogs used to large crowds it takes about 4 days every evening for half an hour or so to get a calm result

Don't feel bad... I felt mortified at puppy class because all the bigger dogs were much more sedate and got tired after play sessions while Elbie was still wriggling around and jumping like a crazy thing ... I am told that it takes time for them to calm down.

Just go to obedience school before class and you'll see all the crazy crazy puppies (and older dogs) pulling on their leashes and dragging their hapless owners across the grass :laugh: I'm told Elbie's going to be a crazy puppy for about 2 years :D

I wish I could offer you advice but I have none! For us, we just try to run Elbie through his little bag of tricks to get him focussed on us. Once he's done his sits and drops and other things, he will usually settle a little but he will still go a bit bonkers if he seems someone he likes :rofl: We just keep trying to expose him to exciting things and try to calm him down.

Don't worry about the critical guy ... You have more important things to be thinking about :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

We took Oscar to our local markets yesterday and he got super excited and wanted to say hello to absolutely everyone! He was jumping up while on the lead and whining because he couldnt go and say hello to people. He wasn't interested in treats and wouldn't listen to our commands at all. It was quite embarrassing. There was more people there than he would have seen in one place before.

One guy walked past us and said that our puppy was crazy and needed training. That really really upset me so we didn't stay any longer, instead just went for a short walk around town where it was a bit quieter.

I'm glad that he is friendly and likes people, but how do we stop that excited behaviour?

I've been feeling really down about it. Especially because that guy criticized us.

You put your puppy into arguably the highest level of distraction I can think of for a dog. You just need to dial it down a bit until he's got the training, maturity and focus to cope with that.

One thing you can think about doing is teaching him the behaviour you want in that situation, rather than managing what he offers. A good solid sit can really help. My guess is if you teach him that he does not get to greet people until he is sitting, he'll soon learn to plant his bottom very firmly on the ground.

I usually tire my dogs out a bit before taking them out somewhere busy, especially somewhere they haven't been before. Especially Emmy. She is got a lot of energy normally, so I don't want excitement to add to that energy... so a good walk will release most of that energy, so i just deal with excitement (does that make sense? lol)

Don't feel bad... now you know what Oscar is like at the market, you know how to train him to not do that anymore :laugh: So the next trip will be easier to handle.

And, don't pay attention to what people say... you know you're doing your best.

Don't all pups do that to some degree!? It is part of their learning.

What is the bet that guy doesn't have a dog or has a freakishly well behaved one! Don't let one pass byer get you down.

The idea of the train station is a good one. Quiet often I walk Genevieve to the park and we just sit there and watch the kids play soccer, wiz past on their bikes and people and their dogs walk. It works as a bit of a break in the walk but also I try to get her to focus on me, or at least sit still and not jump around. Sometimes we are successful, other times not.

I took her to obedience yesterday and the whole time there, she spent trying to nip her lead and dig the grass. I couldn't get her to sit for love, treats or money! Normally she is very good at sitting and waiting for treats. Not yesterday! But I know on another day, she will just sit their patiently...

It will take time and patience, just as Koala the Bear said....

I'd like to know when the excited peeing will stop.

put a martingale collar on him and keep him at a good distance. When he starts to jump or whine give him a correction, then walk backwards away from the people calling him to follow. Get him to sit ahd reward for calm.

You can get him to settle down but dont treat him like a baby. He needs to learn that no means no, and there is a consequence for acting up and being stupid. Yes reward for good behaviour but how does he know what not to do? And dont bother talking at him, just correct well, walk away from stimulation and reward calm behaviour.

Agree with poodlefan - start with an area with less distractions and work up to markets - they are very distracting!

Some focus work would help too ;)

I love my clicker for busy situations.

Also remember aiming high to quickly when the pup isn't ready teaches them that bad manners get rewarded.

You have to ask yourself what did the pup learn from his time at the markets??

He could act crazy & he didn't listen to you so you had no control.

You need to take small steps where the pup will listen to you .

I can appreciate you didn't like the mans comments but as a dog owner i am very careful to appreciate that when in public not everyone is a dog person nor appreciates what my dog does in the same way maybe more so because i show my dogs & have to deal with all manner of public

Pups need to be socialized but remember the general public can be a very tricky place to do this & you will have to deal with all sorts of comments & accept that .

Thanks everyone for your comments :cry: .

I will definately take some more baby steps from now on. We actually only made it to the very edge of the markets. We should probably have stayed further away and just let him watch from a distance.

I know I was being a bit too sensitive about that guy's comment, I guess I just don't like being judged! But thats life!

He is generally a very well behaved puppy and has a very solid "sit" while at home. Just not when we are out and about!

Mine is exactly like this too. She ignores all treats, she just wants to say hello to everybody.

I would have been annoyed at the mans comment aswell. They all learn in their own time. Mine got 'sit' very very quickly, but other things are taking longer and she doesn't listen to much when theres people around as she just wants to play and say hello!

Edited by goldee